plan. What we need now is for our
UN Ambassador to stand up and
repeat this message.

Robin Williams' plan...(Hard to
argue with this logic!)

"I see a lot of people yelling for peace
but I have not heard of a plan for
peace. So, here's one plan."

1) "The US will apologize to the world for our "interference" in their affairs, past & present. You know, Hitler, Mussolini, Stalin, Tojo, Noriega, Milosevic, Hussein, and the rest of those 'good ole boys', we will never "interfere" again.

2) We will withdraw our troops from all over the world, starting with Germany , South Korea , the Middle East , and the Philippines . They don't want us there. We would station troops at our borders. No one allowed sneaking through holes in the fence.

3) All illegal aliens have 90 days to get their affairs together and leave. We'll give them a free trip home. After 90 days the remainder will be gathered up and deported immediately, regardless of whom or where they are. They're illegal!!! France will welcome them.

4) All future visitors will be tho-

roughly checked and limited to 90 days unless given a special permit!!!! No one from a terrorist nation will be allowed in. If you don't like it there, change it yourself and don't hide here. Asylum would never be available
to anyone. We don't need any more cab drivers or 7-11 cashiers.

5) No foreign "students" over age 21. The older ones are the bombers. If they don't attend classes, they get a "D" and it's back home baby.

6) The US will make a strong effort
to become self-sufficient energy wise. This will include developing nonpolluting sources of energy but will require a temporary drilling of oil in the Alaskan wilderness. The caribou will have to cope for a while.

7) Offer Saudi Arabia and other oil producing countries $10 a barrel for their oil. If they don't like it, we go some place else. They can go somewhere else to sell their production. (About a week of the wells filling up the storage sites would be enough.)

8) If there is a famine or other natural catastrophe in the world, we will not "interfere." They can pray to Allah or whomever, for seeds, rain, cement or whatever they need. Besides most of what we give them are stolen or given
to the army. The people who need
it most get very little, if anything.

9) Ship the UN Headquarters to an isolated island some place. We don't need the spies and fair weather friends here. Besides, the building would make a good homeless shelter or lockup for illegal aliens.

10) All Americans must go to charm and beauty school. That way, no one can call us "Ugly Americans" any longer. The Language we speak is ENGLISH...learn it...or LEAVE...Now, isn't that a winner of a plan?

"The Statue of Liberty is no longer
saying 'Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses.' She's got a baseball bat and she's yelling, 'you want a piece of me?' "

See less See more
#5 ·
C'mon Captain, you know perfectly well this was posted, debated, and debunked on the old site. Posting it in the humor forum doesn't make it funny, nor does it make it right. Sheesh.

#7 ·
KBandit said:
wayne ... don't disturb conservatives when they are daydreaming. they tend to get very upset when reality intrudes on their fantasies--and that, in turn, can be hazardous to everyone's health!
I don't think the link to snopes is about raining on a particular political parade, it's about pointing out that the story is not factual. Truth and honesty are still important values on both sides of the aisle, right?

#8 ·
That may be so, but this wasn't presented as humor. It was presented as an isolationist rant, and in a lame attempt to give it some credibility it was attributed to a popular comedian. That makes it just plain false, besides being a worthless and unworkable solution. There's no joke here, except maybe on those who believe these ravings.

Besides, we've seen this exact cut & paste before, and it has been debunked and dismissed several times already.

Trying to make a false story true by blanketing the internet with is irresponsible and undermines truth itself. If it's your opinion, then say so up front. If it's someone else's "opinion", then at least check your facts before posting something like this.

#10 ·
meese said:
Trying to make a false story true by blanketing the internet with is irresponsible and undermines truth itself.
dangerous talk ... as best i can tell that's pretty much been the white house's strategy for the past five years. soon some patriot act goons will be pounding on your door.

do you hear the helicopters yet?

#11 ·
meese said:
That may be so, but this wasn't presented as humor. It was presented as an isolationist rant, and in a lame attempt to give it some credibility it was attributed to a popular comedian. That makes it just plain false, besides being a worthless and unworkable solution. There's no joke here, except maybe on those who believe these ravings.

Besides, we've seen this exact cut & paste before, and it has been debunked and dismissed several times already.

Trying to make a false story true by blanketing the internet with is irresponsible and undermines truth itself. If it's your opinion, then say so up front. If it's someone else's "opinion", then at least check your facts before posting something like this.
Mr. Meese:

How could you possibly know my motives for posting???? I was, in fact, posting it in humor as a joke!!! Unfortunately, I do not receive as many e-mails as you obviously do and I had never seen this particular e-mail before.

Whether or not Robin Williams ever said it is not relevant to the humor section. I thought it was funny so I posted it.

Sorry if it offended your perceived right to limit my freedom of speech.

#13 ·
I know, Gunny, but sometimes it gets real old when "they" can say anything they want, but "we" are ridiculed if what we say disagrees with "their" pet political views. :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

#14 ·
I like Ken, but we don't often agree on political things. No matter, as long as we don't let that affect our friendship in other ways.

I Kinda agree with most of the things proposed in the "Robin Williams" post, even though it is not really attributed to any one known person.

Living in San Diego, with all the transient and illegal people around, I am hoping something can eventually be done to gain some control of the illegal immigration issues. I steam when I see one of the idiots on TV complaining about the recent civilian border watcher groups trampling on the "rights" of the border crossers. BS!! Once they cross the line illegally, they don't HAVE any rights as far as I am concerned. They leave their rights behind when the step across the line.

If I was in charge I would start pulling military forces out of other countries slowly and assigning them to border posts. If we could do half as good a job keeping illegals OUT as the Soviet Union did once at keeping people IN, we would be much better off.

I am NOT anti mexican or any other race, but am strongly anti-illegal, no matter who they are. If they want a change, they should work together to get change inside their own countries.

I know, simplistic, but complicated has pretty much proven to not work either. :D

#15 ·
It's OK, Capt., you can post anything you want. Just expect to get called on it when you exceed the predetermined stupidity level. :)

For the record, there are nuggets of truth in that "plan," maybe even a few good ideas that deserve to be explored further. But when you take it that far over the edge then it becomes a rant, without reason or practicality, and therefore becomes useless blathering. And falsely assigning it to a well-known and respected personality further undermines any credibility it may have once had. (And also for the record, both sides are often guilty of that kind of blathering.)

Had it been posted without the first few paragraphs, then I probably would've just let it go as an unsubstantiated opinion that I happen to disagree with. But the fact that it was just cut & pasted in without bothering to do the most basic of fact checking tends to trip one of my buttons. Whether anyone happens to agree with some or all of the "plan" or not, at least now this thread clearly spells out the outright lies included in the preface.

Believe whatever you want, but base it on fact and personal introspection rather than on something you found floating around on the 'net.

#16 ·
I don't think "The Plan" being posted in the humor forum is relevant to the fact the it wasn't Robin Williams that wrote it. If one presents a joke said by Mr. Rogers, but it was actually uttered by Andrew Dice Clay, it makes a difference. Some kinds of joke would be shocking by Mr. Rogers, but not so much by Mr. Clay. This particular one seemed kind of shocking coming from generally liberal seeming Robin Williams. I kind of like the truth.

As far as limiting speech? You have the right to say anything. Others, fortunately have the right to rebut.

Dale

#19 ·
NCoe said:
The humor forum is just that.
Which is why I usually just let stuff go here, including the Bush/Rice joke among other things. But the combination of cut & paste and blatant misrepresentation tends to trigger a response.

I think we've pretty much beat this one to death though.:)

#20 ·
meese said:
Which is why I usually just let stuff go here, including the Bush/Rice joke among other things. But the combination of cut & paste and blatant misrepresentation tends to trigger a response.

I think we've pretty much beat this one to death though.:)
The problem with letting one go and not the other is it weakens your argument against cut & paste and blatant misrepresentation. Do you honestly think the Bush/Rice joke was anything more than cut & paste and blatant misrepresentation. I absolutely believe you are much smarter than that. We all have a tendency to get our hackles up when a joke is aimed at someone or some position that we tend to agree with but humor is humor and should never be subjected to being checked against Snopes or any other verification mechanism.

#21 ·
NCoe said:
The problem with letting one go and not the other is it weakens your argument against cut & paste and blatant misrepresentation. Do you honestly think the Bush/Rice joke was anything more than cut & paste and blatant misrepresentation. I absolutely believe you are much smarter than that. We all have a tendency to get our hackles up when a joke is aimed at someone or some position that we tend to agree with but humor is humor and should never be subjected to being checked against Snopes or any other verification mechanism.
BS! When something is posted that is attributed to a prominent person, it tends to continue being spread as such, and usually NOT in a humor forum, but to friends, co-workers, etc., who have no idea it may have come to yo from a humor forum. Then they pass it on as fact. The ONLY way to even begin to reduce this stupid false representation is to de-bunk it fast, no matter where posted. At least then people can take it for what it is, an anonymous posting, and not possibly think that it is from the person it is purported to be.

If the post had not made reference to Robin Williams, there would be no issue about it. It would have been SOOOOO easy to delete any reference to Robin Williams and post it. Leaving his name attached is an attempt to get people to actually believe it, no matter that it was posted in humor.

Having a humor forum is not an open license to deceive.

#22 ·
Fair enough, Nathan. I still tend to think that calling something humor doesn't necessarily give you totally free reign, as there is still the matter of taste involved. And humor has often been used specifically to attack and denigrate others. However, taste tends to vary considerably with different audiences, and is therefore subject to wide interpretations. It seems pretty clear that we've had several folks fall to either side of this particular debate.

And I'll agree that part of what I reacted to was the fact that this exact post had already been discussed to death in the old Chit Chat forum. Maybe I assumed that posting it in the humor forum was an attempt to pass it through unnoticed and unchallenged. Fortunately, several folks debunked this particular myth before I got to it.

#24 ·
An immigration policy gone wrong

I checked everywhere I could and every site confirmed the same thing. Robin Williams had nothing to do with this.

Besides, it just doesn't sound like him. Sounds more like a script writer or a hoax perpetrator having us on.

grumpyca

#25 ·
Nobody's been deceived here, except maybe the original poster if he actually thought that was legitimate. In fact, all we've really done is prove once again that the original post is false.

I stand by the fact that just because something was posted in Humor, doesn't give free reign or release it from adherence to common courtesy. This particular post had neither the setup, pacing, or punch-line of a typical Joke. Even the Bush/Rice and recent ******* black box jokes had all that going for them, regardless of taste.

I still say the post was misplaced here, and due to its blatant misrepresentation is misplaced in any forum.

On another note, Nathan, I am sorry that you and I didn't get the chance to sit down at CCR and chat. I think it would've been quite fun and interesting. Maybe at Château Élan?

#26 ·
You just don't get it, do you. I certainly was NOT deceived. The issue I have is propagation of this to others not on this list. You know full well that a huge number of people forward things they think someone will be interested in, usually without any "clean up". Those people then do the same, and things get blasted out in high volume by the snowball effect. One person sending it out unknowingly would likely result in hundreds of people getting it, without any knowledge that it is not factual.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.