BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the clarence on intake valves is .13 -.23 and exhaust is.30-.40 and I've read that ideal is .15 intake and .30 exhaust
Is that true and is out worth my while to try to hit that? I just did valve check and I'm with in the range

Thanks

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
twincruise said:
I know the clarence on intake valves is .13 -.23 and exhaust is.30-.40 and I've read that ideal is .15 intake and .30 exhaust
Is that true and is out worth my while to try to hit that? I just did valve check and I'm with in the range

Thanks
Twin - the 0.15 and 0.30 refer to the 2005-2009 rocker-arm R1200 engines that have infinite screw adjustments for the valves. The 2010+ camhead engines that use shims have the shim thickness in finite increments (my recollection is that they're available 0.05 apart) so the likelihood that you'll hit the 0.15 and 0.30 on the nose is slim. Better is that whatever the openings, as long as you're within tolerance, are close together. For example, if you had one intake at 0.15 and one at 0.22, even though both are within spec I'd be inclined to try to tighten up the 0.22 by 0.05 to bring it to 0.17. On the other hand, if they're close (say 0.17 and 0.20) I'd leave 'em be.

Probably more critical to get the intakes close than to mess around with the exhaust. Just beware of getting them too tight, that tends to burn valves and bad things happen then.

But good for you that you're diving into your engine a little.

JayJay

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.