BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a quick note to draw your attention to an article in the Nov 05 Rider magazine. It gives details of a ride to the Palouse, which is in the SE corner of Washington and into Idaho. Its a well-defined region of volcanic soils that makes it a very distinctive area.

On the way to CCR this year I came down from Canada thru Glacier NP and then across to the Idaho panhandle (on the 2 from Kalispell, a great road), down to Coeur d'Alene. From there, I ran thru the eastern edge of the Palouse down thru Moscow to Lewiston, before turning east and heading over the Lolo Pass.

The late afternoon ride south of Coeur d'Alene arriving into Lewiston at dusk, was a brilliant highlight of an outstanding 16 day trip. The harvest (wheat) was just finishing and in the slanting afternoon sun, the whole region, extending "over the hills and far away" was truely memorable. It was like riding thru a giant ocean, full of golden, billowing waves - it was the stuff that made the memories of a lifetime.

Some pictures - the second one of the Steptoe Butte is what it looked like when I went thru:
http://www.palousescenicbyway.com/pages/gallery.asp?Action=ShowGallery&GalleryID=9

Read the article, its good. Put the area on your must-do list and ride thru it some day in late August when the harvest is well underway. You won't be sorry.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Snake River Valley , I would like to go there. Wate a second I grew up there.
Good riding countrey, good people. Great Hot Springs
Just not sure how I ended up in Florida

Ride Safe and Enjoy
Slider

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Thank you for sharring Ralph.
The pictures are great :)

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Yup, wide open rolling hills far as you can see covered in the same crop all even in height blowing in the wind.

John Day Dinosaur diggins another MUST SEE if in the Washington / Oregon / Idaho corner of the world

Attachments

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
My son went to Washington State University there. Have been there numerous times over the years. It's about 4 1/2 hours form my house!

·
Registered
13 Posts
That's where I live! Close, anyway (I'm in Spokane Valley, WA) Glad you enjoyed the neighborhood, great photos, thanks for posting them!
Regards, Marty

·
Registered
866 Posts
I live out here also and have always found riding the Palouse strangely beautiful and haunting.
You can't tell whether it is 1840, 1940 or present time from some of the surroundings.. :^)

Steptoe Butte is said to be one of Gen Custers early postings with the Cavalry..

·
Registered
203 Posts
Airheadrider said:
That's where I live! Close, anyway (I'm in Spokane Valley, WA) Glad you enjoyed the neighborhood, great photos, thanks for posting them!
Regards, Marty
Hi Marty - We had a home there for 30 years (Libetry Lake) - The winters finally got to us - we had kids in N CA so we moved here - I enjoy it here but really do miss the NW at times - We just had friends here on a visit last week, they live Otis Orchards - tom

1 - 8 of 8 Posts