BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... or better this whole brand, is how much they charge for maintenance :mad:

My first service was when I bought it used, at 20,000Km: 440€, just for the service. So far, so good.

Second service at 30,000Km, including both tyres and one set of brake calipers (rear): 650€

Below is what I got for the 40,000Km service, including only the brake calipers (all), a part from the service itself. I understand that the 40k service is more complex than a normal 10k maintenance, but more than 1200€ is "a bit" too much. Always and only IMHO, of course!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
And that is why most people do their own wrenching on the bike.

·
Miles of Smiles
1,052 Posts
With the info on this site, most maintenance can be carried out at home. So far your $$$'s would have bought the majority of tools needed. Yes it does take some time, but the satisfaction is also very rewarding. And there is no wondering if the time strapped tech has done a good job. jm2cw

·
Registered
339 Posts
I understand that...that is why many of us here band together to do our own maintenance. Some have special tools and expertise...some can tell good jokes...some are good at looking hopeful, but, all are hesitant to pay high maintenance costs and happy to get together. At those prices, I would have to start paying big bucks for special tools and have a steep learning curve trying to do my own work. Fortunately, around here there are some very special people that share there expertise and workspace with others. I feel lucky.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Recently took the plunge and did some of my own maintenance (oil & filter, transmission oil, rear drive oil, air filter, fuel filter, spark plugs). Doesn't seem like much but for the KLTs, there is a fair bit of work to get all of the bodywork, radio, front seat, and gas tank removed, especially if you are doing it yourself for the first time.

In Canada, a service like this would cost about $500 - $600, most of it being labour. I feel pretty good that I could do it myself and it helped me learn a little more about the bike. Lots of info on this site that helped too.

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
The last time a dealer worked on my LT was 2005 to bleed the power ABS system. I was chicken to do it. A year later I bled them again after learning how to at a Munson tech session. The fluid was dark enough that I have doubts that the dealer did anything.

dan

·
Registered
39 Posts
What's a "Munson" tech session??

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Who knows if there's some tech session also in Italy? Or someone Who liked to' share their experience in a few "tool night" ;-)

i really need to' start from scratch :-(

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Corrado68 said:
Who knows if there's some tech session also in Italy? Or someone Who liked to' share their experience in a few "tool night" ;-)

Tech sessions are just a group of riders helping each other out. All it takes to have one is getting to know your fellow riders and hopefully at least one rider who has a little mechanical experience. There is no reason it has to be other BMW riders, I've had tech sessions with my British Bike friends (actually, they can be pretty helpful. They have gained a lot of mechanical skill keeping their old bikes running)

·
Registered
511 Posts
Corrado68 said:

If you can wait until spring, I will be over as my GS is still sitting in Pescara, and can go through it with you.

Mauro

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Mauro.
I just serviced the bike so I think I can wait till NeXT summer :)

·
Registered
511 Posts
No problem, see ya next year.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts