BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The no color option on the GTL and GT in the first batch

I just heard from my Canadian dealer, BMW Germany has spec'd ALL GTL's will be blue in the first run. No silver. :mad: I had ordered a silver.

The second run will be in May and silver will be available then, for delivery in early July. Now I have to decide what to do.. I've been waiting to get a touring bike for 2 years and since I'm not one who likes to wash the bike frequently, I figured silver will show the dirt less than blue.. blue or black look great when they're clean..

If you've ordered a silver, please let us know what you've been told once the bike is confirmed.

P.s. No Red GT's either.

·
Registered
193 Posts
fluffy said:
I just heard from my Canadian dealer, BMW Germany has spec'd ALL GTL's will be blue in the first run. No silver. :mad: I had ordered a silver.

The second run will be in May and silver will be available then, for delivery in early July. Now I have to decide what to do.. I've been waiting to get a touring bike for 2 years and since I'm not one who likes to wash the bike frequently, I figured silver will show the dirt less than blue.. blue or black look great when they're clean..

If you've ordered a silver, please let us know what you've been told once the bike is confirmed.
That really sucks - I'd have ordered silver too, looked really sharp and definitely doesn't show as much dirt.

I ordered the cop-bike gray on the GT, wonder if they're going to be telling us only red? If they did I might have to pass, I'm not crazy about that color, I think it'd get old real quick.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm gonna pass on the blue.. If there are any production delays and the second batch bikes don't get here for early July, I will have to cancel my order and wait till next year. I'm planning a long ride this summer and if I can't do it on the GTL, I'll wait another friggin year...

I can understand streamlining the production line and padding the bottom line by running all bikes with all the options, but announcing 1 color choice after buyers have already placed their orders for the 2 available? :confused:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Did Jane ask the Canadian pre-purchaser's to confirm their color choice and seat height? One would think that once production starts that it would continue on without interruptions. So, if Canadians are getting only silver in May, my hopes of a USA delivery of a blue GTL in May looks kind of slim. As far as the blue or silver goes I would agree that the silver not show dirt as much as the darker color but I ordered the blue because it has more contrast and I usually clean my bike after every ride. The GTL looks like it will be a lot easier to clean than my HD.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My order was confirmed as silver with a high seat. Now I'm told no silver in the first production.. it will be all blue. I'm wondering if this is for everybody or just certain markets.

Curious to hear from US and European riders who ordered the silver if they will get silver or be offered blue instead.

·
Registered
74 Posts
fluffy said:
My order was confirmed as silver with a high seat. Now I'm told no silver in the first production.. it will be all blue. I'm wondering if this is for everybody or just certain markets.

Curious to hear from US and European riders who ordered the silver if they will get silver or be offered blue instead.
That is unfortunate and I feel sorry for those of you who ordered the silver color (assuming it really is the case that BMW is only producing blue bikes in the first batch). I ordered blue so no help from me.

However, this surprises a lot, especially so since most photos of the GTL in press material etc is the silver colored version. It appears that a lot of bikes have already been produced in order to launch a coordinated release of the bikes. I am picking up my bike March 31st ... so this should have been known to BMW for a while so why drop the news so late...

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Re: The no color option on the GT / GTL in the first batch

It gets better, there will be no RED GT's either.. all GTs will be light gray/white in the first production.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Patience is still a virtue. Huh ... who knew? ;)

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
When do you think the Lime Green Metallic ones will be available Joe ?

Have you seen that color on the new Camaro ? That's tart....:rolleyes:

:rotf:

What , Twenty Eight Thousand dollars for a motorcycle and you can't get it in the color you want ????

For Shame BMW.. They should let you order it in any color under the rainbow... Just ship the panels separate from the rest of the bike... It get's put together at the dealer.... That way the basic bike ships.. The upgrades ship separately. The panels ship separately.. And the whole thing get's put together at the dealership...The bike could "cost out" at way less and the dealership could make more money...

Oh, What was I thinking.....

John

·
Registered
74 Posts
simoncharles said:
Is that March 31st 2012 ?
I really hope it is 2011 ;-)... I have not started to do the countdown because it sounds early given all the information everyone has received about when demo rides for customers and journalists will happen. Nevertheless, BMW has confirmed the date twice to my dealer.

I just hope that the roads will be clear of snow, salt, and gravel by then so I can ride it from the dealer to my home (a 3h drive).

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
CGameProgrammer said:
He means this year of course. I fully expect prices for everyone to be released by the press ride in less than two weeks (February 17th-19th).
I wouldn´t bet on it. I think Europe will be a few months behind the US in getting their hands on one. Spain has only been assigned 10 bikes for nearly the whole of 2011.

·
Registered
74 Posts
simoncharles said:
I wouldn´t bet on it. I think Europe will be a few months behind the US in getting their hands on one. Spain has only been assigned 10 bikes for nearly the whole of 2011.
Without knowing the specifics with respect to the various countries, I know indeed that several parts of Europe are getting their bikes early (and earlier than US).

I put my name down at my dealer last summer once it was known that a new touring model was about to come in the next year. I have been waiting for a touring bike to add to the stable... if it had not been this one, I would have gone with an R1200RT, or possibly considered the Kawa Concours... Glad I waited though.

·
Registered
530 Posts
As far as I am concerned color is the least of my worries. I ordered Blue but if I had to take Silver it would not make much difference.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Yeah, I guess it wouldn't take much to paint it whatever color you wanted.. After all it's just a motorcycle..

Do you suppose painting it a different color would void the warranty ? :rotf:

John

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
JPSpen said:
Yeah, I guess it wouldn't take much to paint it whatever color you wanted.. After all it's just a motorcycle..

Do you suppose painting it a different color would void the warranty ? :rotf:

John

John haven't you heard?? This "New" bike is so far advanced that it does not need a Warranty. If something breaks or stops working "The Bike" will fix itself. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
I ordered grey, but since I haven't even received a confirming phone call, the delivery date is probably matching my tag line, 2012....

When and if I get the anticipated call, it will be interesting to hear what is "really" going on with my new baby.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Well, I just don't know. Kind of sucks you can't get the basic black, forced into one of two colors then one of those is delayed. I tried this once got frustrated with my local dealer, ordered it from a Pittsburgh dealer hoping to pick it up in late spring and ride back to Louisiana, not this.

Maybe back to looking for a cherry little one owner LT again. Had 4, always missed them when I tried something new.
I am going to call the dealer and see what they say.

Milton

·
Registered
28 Posts
Talked to my preorder dealer and the latest update is 25% GTL, 75% GT. Gt's scheduled for late spring, GTL's July. No mention of color delays, blues first, silver later.....

My 2 cents, still not sure if I will keep order.

Milton

1 - 20 of 48 Posts