BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2012 BMW R 1200 RT with four-year-old Dunlap Roadsmart II tires. The rear tire is worn out in the center and both need to be changed. As I look at the options for sport touring tires available today, it seems like most people are satisfied with the Michelin Pilot Road 4 & Road 5 Tires for long mileage cruising and some canyons.

Most of my miles will be one up with some luggage because my wife is a fair weather rider for short distances. I will probably do about 4000 miles a year and would want a tire to be smooth on the highway and pretty sticky in the corners. It seems like the newer Dunlap RoadSmart III are another good choice for less $$. I know this can be a long thread with many opinions but I appreciate your input.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
I have had great success using Metzler Z8 tires on an RT. But they are a little old design. Still, I'd go back to them. The Michelins tend to get weird before they are worn out so change them then. Keep to 1.5mm tread limit on any tire. (EU standard)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Check out the Z8 replacement, the RoadTec 01. I've used several sets of those on my FJR1300A and will switch to those once my 2019 RT needs new tires. They are fantastic in the rain and are also great in dry conditions. They can be bought online as reasonable prices as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I will check out the Metzler Z8 and give It some thought before the next tire investment. Ride safe! God Bless!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts