BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to ask if anyone here knows. Has BMW ever thought about doing a Diesel Engine for the LT line? They are the leader in Diesel Cars and I would be interested in something like this. You would not have to worry about the mileage any more and it would last even longer than its gas counterpart. If there is any company out there that can do it, it is BMW. This is something I have been thinking about for a while and had to ask about...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,024 Posts
Diesel engines tend to be much heavier due to compression/strength requirements and stink. I have to admit, I don't want a heavier bike or one that smells like jet A or Diesel.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
910 Posts
reply in jest...

it could mean acceptance of the LT *FOGGER* system so well known for parking the bike on its side stand.... :D

maybe a dual speed rear end... MAke MINE a 10 speed!


ok ok..
but if it wouldnt clatter, like the old diesels, and not have a vertical stacks out back, or a urea based capture system to change.
hmmmm.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will tell you this. If those Clowns in Washington, DC. pass that Energy Bill -"Cap and Trade"- I won't care what my bike smells like, sounds like, how heavy it is, or anything. We in this Country will be facing $5.00 to $10.00 a gallon gas prices. So I would like to see BMW do a Concept Diesel Bike now so they can work all the bugs out now. I just think that is a Great Idea and would Love to see it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
Dieselcars are very popular here in europe. In some european countries they are selling more cars with diesel than gasoline engine.

I´m sure that they have thought about using diesel on a motorcycle-motor. But maybe they are putting focus on something new; hybrid, electricity/batteries, biogas. Diesel-engine is much heavier which also matters when talking about motorcycles.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
263 Posts
Noggin1970 said:
I have to ask if anyone here knows. Has BMW ever thought about doing a Diesel Engine for the LT line? They are the leader in Diesel Cars and I would be interested in something like this. You would not have to worry about the mileage any more and it would last even longer than its gas counterpart. If there is any company out there that can do it, it is BMW. This is something I have been thinking about for a while and had to ask about...
I'll stand corrected, but I doubt most folks worry about the engine life of their LTs.

Of all the things that we have problems with (slave seal, shift linkage, Final Drive), the engine is not an issue. 200k not a problem with the LTs engin without a tear down.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,543 Posts
BennyBob said:
Diesel engines tend to be much heavier due to compression/strength requirements and stink. I have to admit, I don't want a heavier bike or one that smells like jet A or Diesel.

I like the smell of Jet A in the morning, but I agree that I do not want any more weight!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
426 Posts

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
Joined
·
8,158 Posts
Diesel fuel won't curb the appetite for oil. It takes the same to make either gasoline or diesel, and in Europe diesel is much cheaper than gasoline only because it is taxed at a much lower rate, hence all the turbo diesel engines.
Interestingly enough over 75% of Paris taxi cabs are Mercedes diesel with a manual transmission.
Hey, if you want to reduce dependency on foreign oil by 10% or more we should all drive sticks instead of automatic transmissions. Added benefits would include less people texting, eating, or doing their nails while driving a stick. I know... :deadhorse :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,404 Posts
Well, I just took delivery on the new K1800LT based on the "Concept 6" motor. Freaking Awesome! This thing screams, and has all the comfort of my old K1200LT plus more. Plug-in for my i-pod, heated everything, the stock seat is better than the custom made that I had on the K1200LT. WOW! I love this bike. I got the extended warranty so no worries about 1st year model issues.....
I don't have any more time to post about my new bike right now, I'm going for a ride.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
607 Posts
WTF? really????

the new LT is out. Charlie, don't play with us.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
444 Posts
Charlie are you doing the old oil spill trick again !!!! !!! :rolleyes: :histerica
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
929 Posts
Who is Charlie fooling? Me thinks he would be tearing into the new final drive for a pre-ride examination...:rotf:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,404 Posts
GlennM86 said:
WTF? really????

the new LT is out. Charlie, don't play with us.
Well, actually...... I got tired of the diesel LT concept and thought I'd throw something else into the mix. I mean, seriously, a diesel LT?
My New Holland tractor is a diesel, works great. With my Woods 9000 backhoe, that thing really "digs in". :thumb:
Maybe a diesel GoldWing Interstate-D (for diesel); yeah, that would work.
Or a HD Road Kingdom Super-D (for diesel); hummmm.... I like that even better :histerica

Okay, maybe a diesel LT isn't all that ridiculous, but I just don't see the performance; turbo?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,543 Posts
CharlieVT said:
Well, I just took delivery on the new K1800LT based on the "Concept 6" motor. Freaking Awesome! This thing screams, and has all the comfort of my old K1200LT plus more. Plug-in for my i-pod, heated everything, the stock seat is better than the custom made that I had on the K1200LT. WOW! I love this bike. I got the extended warranty so no worries about 1st year model issues.....
I don't have any more time to post about my new bike right now, I'm going for a ride.
Are snow tires and chains available options now? :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Look Boys and Girls. All I was saying is that, I feel as if a Diesel Version of the LT would get better MPG. Mine gets about 50 mpg now and if they did a Diesel LT, that might go up to maybe 60 or 70 mpg. Im not saying that for any other reason than that. You know the more MPG you can get, the more $ money $ you can save. I drive a semi for a living and I am around diesels all the time and I am at least open to the idea.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,273 Posts
zippy_gg said:
Diesel fuel won't curb the appetite for oil. It takes the same to make either gasoline or diesel, and in Europe diesel is much cheaper than gasoline only because it is taxed at a much lower rate, hence all the turbo diesel engines.
Interestingly enough over 75% of Paris taxi cabs are Mercedes diesel with a manual transmission.
Hey, if you want to reduce dependency on foreign oil by 10% or more we should all drive sticks instead of automatic transmissions. Added benefits would include less people texting, eating, or doing their nails while driving a stick. I know... :deadhorse :D
+ 1 big time!!! Specially on the last sentence!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,882 Posts
The Track T-800cdi has replaced the spot on my wish list that the 1150GS used to take. That bike is awesome, have to wait till next year till it becomes available here though (UK)
Ticks all the boxes for me - shaft drive, fuel efficient and versatile - even has better wind protection than the GS AND it sounds like a bike should sound!


JeffD said:
Diesel bikes are out there (http://www.dieselbike.net). Not sure if BMW is considering a concept. The big problem isn't the technology (obviously), its rider acceptance. IMO.
 
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Top