BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At first I looked at it and was turned off by it thinking Harley. I was somehow drawn to it though and as I continued looking at it from every angle it hit me. This is the rebirth of the LT less top box. Look at any image of an LT with the top box removed (see pic below). I'm speaking of the BMW K1600B Bagger. (see pic below)

It seems to be the LT and more. You can get reverse assist and all the latest technical innovations. It has a lower seat height and weight. Obviously until someone test rides it and reports on weather/wind protection. cornering, single and two up comfort, etc.

Anyway I can't wait to test ride one. For the type of 2-up riding I do it could be the one. If anyone has actually seen one I'd be interested in your thoughts.

New K1600B Bagger:

Picture of LT without top box:
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/attachm...op-trunk-what-difference-lt-no-top-case-1.jpg

·
Registered
233 Posts
It seems to be the LT and more. You can get reverse assist and all the latest technical innovations. It has a lower seat height and weight. Obviously until someone test rides it and reports on weather/wind protection. cornering, single and two up comfort, etc.
I agree with you. It's exactly what I wanted. Looked at the F6B first but no reverse, ABS or cruise. Was gonna wait but couldn't justify the price. Got me a 2009, lost the top box and added a lower screen and rear rack. Would I rather have the 1600B? Sure, but I don't wanna pay for it.

·
Registered
207 Posts
It's a beautiful bike, but i for one don't see a resemblance to the Venerable LT in any way. More like the GTL to me, but of course that's only my opinion. The LT's lines are timeless. I've yet to see a bike that would cause me to want to trade up yet. And this comes from a former (35 years) Harley rider.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,623 Posts
At first I looked at it and was turned off by it thinking Harley. I was somehow drawn to it though and as I continued looking at it from every angle it hit me. This is the rebirth of the LT less top box. Look at any image of an LT with the top box removed (see pic below). I'm speaking of the BMW K1600B Bagger. (see pic below)

Anyway I can't wait to test ride one. For the type of 2-up riding I do it could be the one. If anyone has actually seen one I'd be interested in your thoughts.

New K1600B Bagger:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIyHf1cfl44

Picture of LT without top box:
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/attachm...op-trunk-what-difference-lt-no-top-case-1.jpg
If they would fix the areas where the 1600 is deficient compared to the LT ....

Things such as poor wind and rain protection for rider hands and feet and passenger head and shoulders, excessive driveline lash, etc.

·
Premium Member
7,623 Posts
You don't see it?

Nope. LT has nice horizontal lines. The 1600 has humpback lines. Nose and tail both appear to be drooping and the high point as toward the rear of the tank. Not nearly as nice looking to my eye as the LT.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Well. I like the looks. But would have to test ride one. But. It's out for me. No trunk. Mama goes with me more often than not. And likes the trunk.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for your thoughts. I truly love my LT, it meets 90% of my riding requirements. If I could wrench then my concerns over a 10 year old bike needing a potential major fix would not be an issue. I would keep the LT. Even though I have maintained, upgraded an coddled my bike all these years, age will eventually take its toll. For the last several years I have been hoping a LT like machine would be released by some manufacturer and it appears to date the BMW Bagger is the closest so far. I have been saving my pennies for that eventual day. Granted paying $25K for any bike that I will put 3k to 4k miles on a year is hard to justify, especially when I have a perfectly good LT in the garage. But I sacrificed for forty years for my family and who knows how long I will have my health to ride, so I lean toward saying WTF, you can't take it with you so spoil yourself and enjoy. Until the Bagger is available and all the test ride reports including my own are in, the final decision whether the Bagger meets the LTs high benchmark will have to wait.

Also to all those who don't see the similarity just look at pictures of the evolution of the Corvette. It slowly year by year morphed sometimes for the better and some years for the worse but 65 years later it is one of the finest sports cars in the world. Like the Vet the LT should not be forgotten (BMW wake up and listen). The LTs tangible and intangible qualities which are appreciated by the rare few two wheel aficionados, (LT forum members) who can appreciate what an extraordinary machines the LT's are. I'm surprised the BMW marketing brain trust did not label the Bagger, the new LT. It would have made more sense as the true bagger dudes are not buying a BMW. There are however a lot of three day weekend touring guys who would seriously look at this bike.

So much for my opinion.

Thanks for all the responses

·
Registered
207 Posts
Have to agree with voyager.. just don't have the same lines.. and for me, i find the 1200 engine fine. I've never had problems keeping up with traffic or passing when i needed to. Sorry MarkF

·
Registered
207 Posts
To Norton.
Keep your LT. 3 to 4k a year is nothing. I've had my LT for 9 months now. (had an RT prior to that) I bought it used and i DO all my own wrenching. (Thanks to BMW motorad club videos) I've put on 16900 miles on her so far (I live in Florida, land of all year riding). One 4500 mile trip to KY and Ma. She started out with 62000 miles. The engine is solid and i've had absolutely no problems with her. The previous owner had taken exceptional care with the bike, performing all the preventative maintenance and upgrades. Fuel lines, fix it before it breaks, etc. I'm one of those believers that this bike will continue to go up in value. Perhaps not the pre 05's, but 06 to 09 will definitely last.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Have to agree with voyager.. just don't have the same lines.. and for me, i find the 1200 engine fine. I've never had problems keeping up with traffic or passing when i needed to. Sorry MarkF
Don't apologize. I like my LT just fine. Smooth, enough umph, plenty creature comforts. I just think this new bagger looks like a next gen. LT. Not the same, but like a mutation or two down the evo. path.

·
Registered
15 Posts
IMO this is just a GTL without the top case and some differences on front and back fairing. I've tested the GTL and oh boy that 6-cyl engine is awesome. Technology-wise is also pretty cool. Those 2 elements on the LT would make the perfect touring bike. That said, the GTL is not even close to the LT in comfort. Narrow and hard seats, very narrow front fairing lets the wind get into your helmet and also into your legs. Passenger comfort is the same than an RT but with arm rests, so nothing really comfortable for long rides. LT is 10 times more comfortable (but also more heavy and slow).

This bobber is the competition of big Harleys and the Goldwing F6B. BWM is not creating anything new here.

That said, they should use the same engine and put big softer suspension, wind protection, a different seats set, more cases and with that compete with the Goldwing or big Harleys.

·
Registered
207 Posts
How about bringing back the LT, with the 1600 engine.. Now that would be quite a bike. I'm sure the designers and engineers could easily accomplish this.

·
Premium Member
7,623 Posts
How about bringing back the LT, with the 1600 engine.. Now that would be quite a bike. I'm sure the designers and engineers could easily accomplish this.
Yes, piece of cake. You only have to redesign the entire drive train, and frame, etc. :smile:

The two times I have rented GTLs for extended riding, I am always impressed by the power and I like the wet clutch and lighter weight. The handling is quicker, almost too quick for two-up touring and the brakes feel stronger. However, for most of the trip, I miss the comfort and weather protection of the LT more than I appreciate the power of the GTL. You only use the power occasionally, but when you ride all day in the cold and rain, you miss the weather protection of the LT all day!

I understand you can add $1,000 of bigger windshield and various Aeroflow shields and deflectors and make the GTL "almost" as good as a stock LT, but as long as my LT remains reliable, I just don't see a reason to spend $31,000 to get a bike that is only almost as good as my LT for the type of riding I do (two-up long distance all-weather touring).

If I was a solo rider and leaned more towards sport touring, I would more seriously consider the GTL. A lot depends on your mission profile, and my mission profile simply favors the attributes of the LT more so than the attributes of the GTL.

However, I keep hoping for a new motorcycle, BMW or otherwise, that will have the LT attributes with a technology refresh (more power, adjustable suspension, lean capable ABS and traction control, etc.) a la the GTL. Having said that, I realize I represent a diminishing market and this is unlikely to happen anytime soon. Then again, the rumors of a new hybrid drive train Gold Wing are very interesting. That could be a game changer as Honda has never lost sight of the attributes important to the luxury touring market. If they keep Gold Wing comfort, but add in BMW technology, they will have a formidable touring machine.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Just my humble opinion but the K1600 bagger is a lot of things but I don't think it is "new" LT. I just wish they would put this engine in true LT and move on. Hey thats a thought wonder if it would work to put the engine in an old LT. LOL

·
Registered
178 Posts
I attended a motorcycle expo in Chicago last month and got to sit on one of these 1600B's. BMW clearly wanted to create their version of an F6B... and they succeeded. It is lower than an LT, had up to date tech, and was comfortable enough but not reminiscent of the LT, in my opinion. They had some 1600 GTLs in the area, also. The bike is essentially a GTL without top case. I'm sure they ride like the wind, but I prefer the LT (especially 2005+) when it come to looks. I agree with Beemer Joe that an LT with the 1600 engine would be absolutely perfect.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just my humble opinion but the K1600 bagger is a lot of things but I don't think it is "new" LT. I just wish they would put this engine in true LT and move on. Hey thats a thought wonder if it would work to put the engine in an old LT. LOL
OK, J. Zeiler, Sailor and Saddleman need to get together and install the K1600 engine in an LT frame. I'll donate my bike as long as JZ, Sailor and Saddleman donate the labor, motor and ingenuity.

This is what it would look like:
https://www.google.com/search?q=bmw...=oCvUWIjGF4mvmQGK-YuACQ#imgrc=DGY-49GD2f87-M:

·
Premium Member
7,623 Posts
OK, J. Zeiler, Sailor and Saddleman need to get together and install the K1600 engine in an LT frame. I'll donate my bike as long as JZ, Sailor and Saddleman donate the labor, motor and ingenuity.
Personally, I think a small turbo to boost low-end torque would be almost as good and much more practical.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Now I've seen a rendering(drawing) of a bike that looked just like the 1600 B, but with the trunk. That I might see me buying. Again. Would Have to test ride it. Tech wise. Yea. I'm sure it's got the LT beat. Comfort wise. There's still to this day none equal to the LT. Gonna be hard to replace it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts