BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, GREAT web site, its like a good book, I can't put it down. I'm a newby and don't have much to offer, yet. A question.. I have heard several comments about a "canister" that seems to be disposable. So what is it and what is it for?? Also someone said about an air compressor that can be installed in its place. Thanks

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
MarkMPA said:
Hi all, GREAT web site, its like a good book, I can't put it down. I'm a newby and don't have much to offer, yet. A question.. I have heard several comments about a "canister" that seems to be disposable. So what is it and what is it for?? Also someone said about an air compressor that can be installed in its place. Thanks
Hi, Mark - glad you're liking the community. I agree with ya - it's great.

For some good reading on the charcoal cannister, take a look at the 5 similar threads that are listed below your post/thread. Also, try out the search feature of this site - it works great too. Good luck, Mark. Ride safe.

·
Registered
624 Posts
The "Mysterious Canister" is actually part of the factory installed dooms-day security system. By simply inputting the correction combination of the starter, radio power button, throttle, turn signal, turn signal cancel, and throttle, an auto-destruct sequence will initiate that cannot be interrupted, until the brown wire is cut.

:)

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Dreaded Canister: a collection of small projectiles in a case, to be fired from a cannon. It's hell on infantry. Oh, never mind....

The LT charcoal canister, part of the evaporative emission control system, good for the environment, bad for LT reliability. They are known to get plugged by heavy rain, or fuel from overfilling the tank or tipping the bike over. The result can be vacum in the gas tank, causing collpase of the tank, fuel starvation, and damage to the fuel level sensor mechanism. So, lots of us have removed it.

Lots of posts/threads here to lell you how to remove it.

Welcome to the asylum.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
The canister hides under the rear seat almost under the rear trunk. Here is a picture of what I replaced it with, a Blue Sea fuse box.

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
The canister has a pop-top on it for when you ride with HD people--its a can of WHOOOOOP-ass! Open when needed.

Bob

·
Registered
370 Posts
Maybe this will help. Did mine a few weeks ago. Piece of mind. Besides, I needed something to throw at the neighbors cat. :rotf:

Attachments

·
Registered
225 Posts
Good info KIC. I gotta see if mine is still on there! Is it visible without removing the top case?

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
hip001 said:
I gotta see if mine is still on there! Is it visible without removing the top case?
I'm 99% sure that you have to remove the top case and the plastic plate underneath in order to see the cannister. If you haven't removed the top case before, it can look like a lot of work, but it's not. It's a 5 minute job.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I didn't realize there are so many out of work comedians :bmw: Thanks for the info guys. don't quit your day jobs :eek:) Mark

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I had the top case off once, and the plastic decking, too. I don't remember if the canister was there. I wasn't looking for it and didn't know to look for it. Careful carrying the top case around. It probably weighs 40-50 pounds and if your garage is like mine (an obstacle course), stepping over, around, through, etc. could lead to balance issues. I didn't drop the case or fall down. Another miracle.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts