BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just got off the phone with a friend who lives and works in Europe. I have to deny any inside knowledge and disavow any conversation with this individual but...
it is not unreasonable for you to assume that this person lives in Germ ny and works for B_W... I decided to post this because I don't think he (or she) will be compromised by this post. The subject of our most recent conversation was the evolution of the new six cylinder into a tourer along the lines of the K1200LT. I was assured that the upcoming GTL offering is indeed a "transition" model meant to feel out the market and provide a base line learning experience in terms of sales, performance, and reliability before using the platform for a "real" luxury touring bike. It seems that the marketing gurus don't want to discourage potential buyers of the new K1600GTL by letting it be known that there is a true K1600LT in the pipeline. The concept is that of a luggage system that looks fully integrated as does the current KLT but has removable bags, passenger arm rests, and expanded pillion comfort. Easy removal of the topcase will convert the two up tourer into a one up bike with a rear rear luggage rack, or rear cowl giving the bike a classic "cafe" appearance; this convertable feature will be standard on all bikes. Other features we have come to appreciate like exceptional wind and rain protection, integrated audio and navigation, reverse, power centerstand will be standard features. I can't wait for this one! Based on what I have heard I believe that depending on the sales of the K1600GT and GTL the K1600LT might be introduced in 2013 or 14.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Have Hans send you some pics so we really have something to talk about. ;)

·
Registered
135 Posts
Now its starting to sound interesting. Removable luggage, yet still integrated? :) What about overall weight. They sure don't need to go heavier than the existing LT.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
If true, can you imagine how pissed off some will be when they see that they didn't buy a real LT?
On the other hand, if this is 2-3 years down the road, some of us might get lucky on a good buy of a used GTL.
Hey Dan, how much you want for yours?

·
Registered
929 Posts
OOOh...let the chat begin!

·
THE Democracy Doctor
5,694 Posts
Uh-huh! I see another 1200/1300 GT here.....

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
what the hell is a "classic cafe appearance?"

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
petevandyke said:
I think such a bike would be irresistible to current LT owners... a "convertible"... brilliant.

Pete, I think this is the what the look would be like - aka the Corbin smuggler box.

Think I'll head on down to my dealer and give him a deposit. :D

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
Wouldn't be the first time BMW screws the early customers. Do I hear K1200GT version II?

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
pickerbiker said:
Wouldn't be the first time BMW screws the early customers. Do I hear K1200GT version II?
Boy howdy, true dat! I'm going to wait until the engine and drive train prove themselves, no more beta testing for me. ;)

This next $30K investment (and you just know that's what the ticket will be) for two wheels has got to last into my golden years.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I think that BMW is sitting in the catbird seat right now. They have introduced a couple of successful models recently as in the 1000RR, and the F 800 GS. They have now introduced their six cylinder platform in the soon to be released K 1600 GT GT/L Sport/Sport Touring motorcycle.

They now have the luxury of seeing the response to that machine and what Honda may do to the Goldwing and also to wait and see how the economic marketplace recovers.

·
THE Democracy Doctor
5,694 Posts
petevandyke said:
That would be a cafe with an open and airy feel. Usually accomplished by an open-patio dining experience.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Sitting in the "catbird" seat would be the company that sold 1 million units of their new product on a Saturday in March, and upwards of 70% went to new customers.

Not that the remarkable BMW S1000 RR did not do well. The F 800 is one sweet ride. The 1600 GT/GTL did a great pre-sale, and once they get over the initial delivery issues, as long as the clutch and final drive hold up with the new engine power, they will be a tremendous replacement for the K1300GT. And for the LT crowd that rides mainly 1-up and is not there for the long touring rides, the 1600 and its new electronic candy will be a great thing too..

But only the S1000RR has attracted a lot of new riders to the BMW fold. The others will get some, but mostly will be upgrades for current BMW customers. They will bring some back to the fold, but do any of use expect to see 70% of the new owners being converts?

I hope the rumor is true, and not a hedge to keep the 201112/13 Gold Wing from being the K2100LT replacement, of you name the other replacement candidates?

Bill

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
jayjacobson said:
That would be a cafe with an open and airy feel. Usually accomplished by an open-patio dining experience.

If that means I have to start ordering coffee using words like "grande" and "venti" then I'm out

·
THE Democracy Doctor
5,694 Posts
petevandyke said:
If that means I have to start ordering coffee using words like "grande" and "venti" then I'm out
Stick with a real coffee shop, like IHOP in Santa Barbara, and you can STILL order coffee like a man! :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts