BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just have to say to you guys that ride the GT any long distance my hat is off for you guys I just took a 3 to 4 hour ride on GT 1600 from GR MI. BMW just for fun I think I would get more beat up on a 200 mile ride on it compared to doing a 1000 mile ride on my LT maybe I am just spoiled on the LT :bmw:

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Beat up because of the wind? riding position? I'll be doing my own test ride later, but was just curious about your experience.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
GT has an aggressive handlebar AND peg position.

GTL is the touring model. Handlebars back further, allowing a more upright (comfortable) riding position, and pegs moved forward and down. I can easily do 1,000+ mile days on my GTL, just like my LT.

Like the LT, I did have to modify the seat, and windscreen.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Beat up because of the wind? riding position? I'll be doing my own test ride later, but was just curious about your experience.
I am talking wind but you got to remember I am talking the GT not the GTL I have ridden the GTL to like Hallzee said that's a whole different bike lots better wind protection and more comfortable to sit on

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
I am talking wind but you got to remember I am talking the GT not the GTL I have ridden the GTL to like Hallzee said that's a whole different bike lots better wind protection and more comfortable to sit on
In stock form the rider has alot of wind from the hands to shoulders. This feels much more intense in cooler to cold air. Wind buffeting increases at speed. Aeroflow has a fix they say. The RTW is far superior to the GT and GTL in wind management. I do like the riding position of the GT over the GTL. The GTL has you sitting to low IMO. Try all three and see for yourself.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Back in June, if you missed it I submitted this review. Now, I could ride the GT for miles and miles and miles, no problem. But my lil lady was not nearly as comfortable on the K1600GT as she was on our ol' LT. And I HIGHLY doubt that the GTL would be different enough from the GT that we rented to compare to the LT, as well.

The bottom line: For passenger comfort, the K1200LT is in a class ALL by itself. Period. :bmw:

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
In stock form the rider has alot of wind from the hands to shoulders. This feels much more intense in cooler to cold air. Wind buffeting increases at speed. Aeroflow has a fix they say. The RTW is far superior to the GT and GTL in wind management. I do like the riding position of the GT over the GTL. The GTL has you sitting to low IMO. Try all three and see for yourself.
RTW? You mean the new water head? Or some other brand?

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
Back in June, if you missed it I submitted this review. Now, I could ride the GT for miles and miles and miles, no problem. But my lil lady was not nearly as comfortable on the K1600GT as she was on our ol' LT. And I HIGHLY doubt that the GTL would be different enough from the GT that we rented to compare to the LT, as well.

The bottom line: For passenger comfort, the K1200LT is in a class ALL by itself. Period. :bmw:
Not quite by itself. The Wing gets pretty high passenger reviews also.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Not quite by itself. The Wing gets pretty high passenger reviews also.
I was referring to bikes that I, and most others in this forum, would actually want to own/ride. ;)

All joking aside, while the GW does offer my wife a very comfortable seating position ... I think it's TERRIBLE for this 6'3" rider. Just my 2 cents...

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
I was referring to bikes that I, and most others in this forum, would actually want to own/ride. ;)

All joking aside, while the GW does offer my wife a very comfortable seating position ... I think it's TERRIBLE for this 6'3" rider. Just my 2 cents...
I agree. I have no interest in a Wing or in anything with Honda on it.

However, I think if my wife had her druthers she would ride backseat on a Wing.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
RTW? You mean the new water head? Or some other brand?
Yes 2014 RT. My wife says she has better wind protection on the RTW compared to LT. She sits lower on the RTW compared to the LT. The pillion rider sits very high on the GT and more so on the GTL. I have been riding the GT loaner for about 6 weeks.

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
Yes 2014 RT. My wife says she has better wind protection on the RTW compared to LT. She sits lower on the RTW compared to the LT. The pillion rider sits very high on the GT and more so on the GTL. I have been riding the GT loaner for about 6 weeks.
That is interesting. My wife and I test rode a 2007 R1200RT right before the 2007 LT that we bought. We both found the RT provided substantially less wind protection than the LT. I found the seats comparable, but my wife found the LT seat to be much better than the RT.

Obviously, much has changed in 7+ years. We also rode the Alps last year on a rented GTL and came away underwhelmed. Maybe the new RTW is worth a look.

I also found the low RPM vibration of the RT objectionable. Both as compared to the LT and as compared to my Voyager XII, which was smoother than the LT.

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
Gary! Step AWAY from that GT. You're such a skilled rider on the LT I wouldn't want to follow you on anything else. :) I tested the GTL from GR BMW, great place to try out bikes, and didn't return impressed. Actually, it re-enforced the fact that the LT is the bike to ride … for me.
Hey, how did your trip with Dave work out? He can be a pretty difficult guy to deal with. LOL LOL LOL!!!

Have fun,
Jer

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Gary! Step AWAY from that GT. You're such a skilled rider on the LT I wouldn't want to follow you on anything else. :) I tested the GTL from GR BMW, great place to try out bikes, and didn't return impressed. Actually, it re-enforced the fact that the LT is the bike to ride … for me.
Hey, how did your trip with Dave work out? He can be a pretty difficult guy to deal with. LOL LOL LOL!!!

Have fun,
Jer
Jer I have to agree with you the LT is the BIKE to ride but the trip with Dave went great he's pretty easy guy to get along with the first day we left my house we made it all the way to Burilington Colorado it was only 1,100 miles that day than from their the next day we ended up in Durango Colorado I think it would better if Dave just posted the trip it would explain it a lot better with all his pictures and by the way Jer you would of had a blast trying hard to keep up with us:D in the curves and twistys

1 - 14 of 14 Posts