BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, another newby here. I've been in the back row now for 3 or 4 weeks taking notes. I've read about the DL failures, the substandard lighting, slave cylinder leaks/failures, etc. Well that is the bad and ugly...
I would like to hear about the good. How many have had no significant mechanical issues? The year of your bike and the mileage with no probs.?
Recently sold my 07 GL1800 and wanting an LT to replace it. This was my second chicken wing and have never had an issue with either one... period. This why I am expressing interest for those that have not had any issues with there LTs.
I hope that i'm not beating a dead horse with this. I have searched the forums and have not seen a thread on this.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,945 Posts
Dragonstail69 said:
Hi guys, another newby here. I've been in the back row now for 3 or 4 weeks taking notes. I've read about the DL failures, the substandard lighting, slave cylinder leaks/failures, etc. Well that is the bad and ugly...
I would like to hear about the good. How many have had no significant mechanical issues? The year of your bike and the mileage with no probs.?
Recently sold my 07 GL1800 and wanting an LT to replace it. This was my second chicken wing and have never had an issue with either one... period. This why I am expressing interest for those that have not had any issues with there LTs.
I hope that i'm not beating a dead horse with this. I have searched the forums and have not seen a thread on this.

Thanks
2nd owner to a 2000 LT

48K on her and get 50 mpg on long trips.
You will probably get similar comments from many on this site who have trouble-free riding. :bmw:

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
Two small issues with mine, a brake line leak and a fuel line quick connect leak. Both were do-it-myself issues. 38,000 on it now. You'll love the LT compared to the Wing in the rain. You get to stay dry on the LT unless it's an absolute toad-strangler.

·
Registered
679 Posts
2000 LT 25,000 miles, replaced headlight bulb, cleaned dirt off, put fuel in, replaced a tire, rode until my butt was sore, wife wanted to keep going, Sold my GL1800 and bought this, way more exciting and fun ride, better geegaws fursure!
Oh did I mention I cleaned the dirt off? :bmw:

·
Registered
407 Posts
I have a 2005, am the second owner and have had no major issues. But like you after reading many of the posts here I have this contant fear of a breakdown in the middle of nowhere.

My guess is the majority drive trouble free. But even with no major issues expect steep maintenance costs unless you do it yourself.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I purchased a 2005 with 19000 miles in Dec 2009. I now have 50,000 miles. My only issue has been a small gas line leak.
The other stories of vibration have been solved with Metzler tires.

I ride the bike to work almost daily and go on 3 to 4000 mile trips a couple of times per year. The bike has never left me stranded.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
2002 here that I bought new and now with 46k miles, and my only issues were from hitting a pothole. Dented both rims bad enough to have me replace them and the tires. the tires still held air so I was able to drive home, I just changed them (went with Avons) in case there was any cord damage.. It also collapsed the front end enough that it pinched the brake hose, so I got a set of speiglers and changed them too, and the shock is probably why the plastic QC fuel disconnects broke. I got metal ones from beemerboneyard and it was an easy change. The bike didn't go over and only the right side tip over covers needed changed (they weren't broke, just scratched up). So I used some of the insurance money to get a great set of eagles painted on the saddlebags and some pinstripping, but I didn't think of getting rid of her. Been riding since '69 and this is the best bike I've ever had. Even better than the R60/2 I used to ride in the '70's.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Phil,

I have owned 2 LT's.....first was a 2000LTC that I put 90,600 miles on before it was totaled. The second and current is a 2003LTE with 139775 miles on it.

I have had no final drive problems on either one....I did replace the clutch on the current bike due to a rear seal drip...even though it was still not slipping, and yes I do pull trailers.

I replaced a fuel pump at 104k and of course the normal tires and brakes. Plug wires were replaced at about 129K...had a mysterious miss.

I did own 3 Goldwings prior to going over to BMW and actually spent more maintaining them than my LT's.

I do the vast majority of my own maintenance since dealers are few and far between and I enjoy it. My LT is my everyday ride.

HTH,

Ron

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Just turned 63k on my 02 LT. Second owner. I've put half those miles on. No problems as far as the bike is concerned. This season I decided that I was going to run premium in it instead of regular. Now instead of 52mpg average, I'm hitting 56 mpg regularly. :)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Bought my 2008 LT new in Dec 07. 57k miles so far. Had a squeeling rear disk/rotor replaced under warranty at 2k miles. The "new" rotor has now develoed a cowbell clanking sound but as I've been told: "they all do that". However I'll probably replace it soon. Other than that it has been trouble free.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am a relative newbie to the K1200LT, mine being a newly acquired year 2000 model. Mine wants to dip downward when making a 90 to 180 degree turn at slow speed. At 6'3" and 205 pounds, it was difficult to correct the action without straining my back. Otherwise it is possibly my retirement choice as everything that is good with respect to bikes exists in the K1200LT. Smooth, powerful, great looking and the ability to tour with 2 persons forever make the LT a wise choice. I also changed the engine oil, gear oil and final drive oil recently. The whole process was very simple, in part due to the section on this site that explains the fluid changes in detail with pictures.
Forums like this were not available when I first began to ride. This medium is excellent for riders to compare, inform and even brag about their choice of ride.
See you on the road.

·
Registered
438 Posts
2nd owner of a champagne 2000 K1200LTC with around 36,000 mi.
1. replaced stiff throttle cables
2. replaced broken cruise control cable
3. ABS fault reset
4. replaced tires front & rear, and routine maint.
5. no regrets....... I really do enjoy working, farkeling, and riding on this bike,

(my last bike was a 1981 GL1100 Goldwing)

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have 25,000 on my '06 LT. Went to Montana on it. A friend rode his HD on the same trip. Both bikes performed fine. His used twice the gas mine did. We even completed an SS 1000 on our last day of riding, coming home to Fort Worth from Wyoming. Following that, I went the other way, took a 10-day trip to Florida and the Carolinas. Another friend went this time, on an '06 GL 1800. Again, both bikes did well. His used 1/3 more gas than mine. So far, so good, no issues. I've added Motolights, turnsignals in the side mirrors, turn signals and running lights in the bags, modulating brake light on the trunk, Muddiman armrests, and KonTour seats. I bought a lift so I can do my own repairs and maintenance. I couldn't be happier with a bike. It performs wonderfully with no problems.

·
Registered
15 Posts
2000LT with 76K on the clock with no significant problems. Just standard maintenance and good riding habbits.

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
On my second LT. Currently have 90K miles on an 05 I bought new. No issues. Replaced fork seals after 70K miles and installed new shocks. Like others have said. Most LT owners can report the same. It is a machine and things will break. I'm convinced it is one of the most reliable bikes you could buy.

·
Registered
339 Posts
2000lt with 60,800 mi. No problems, but, I've done some preemptive fixes...rebuilt FD, new clutch linkage, fix-it-before it breaks trunk latch, installed ford starter relay, using the bike starter relay as a pilot relay, as well as scheduled maintenance. I will be replacing the plastic fuel line couplings with aluminum quick connects and some misc. farkles as time goes on. It already had clutch weep hole mod, hid low beam headlight, canerectomy and upgraded exhaust. I love the way it looks and rides. I've only had it for a year, but, it's the best of a number of bikes I've owned. All the bikes I've owned have needed some changes to make them better in one area or another.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts