BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unlike our brethren in Texas, whose lakes and streams are becoming more like the Outback of Australia each passing day, New England is being deluged with rain (perhaps FROM the lakes and streams of Texas).. so ...rain gear is pretty much added to my list of AT(R)GATT these days.

I was headed up I-84 in CT..it had started to rain with some ominous looking walls of Grey ahead, so I pulled over under an over pass as far off to the right shoulder (guard rail) as I could get. (new england cagers are ruthless in the right lane).

So I open the right side case.. pull my gear out.. and am worming my legs into the pants (have my over pants on) so I park my butt on the guardrail... have my pvc pants over the toes of my right boot-- resting my boot on the right side peg-- give it a little tug... and $%^&! HERE COMES MY BIKE.... tipping over to join me on the $%^&'in guard rail! I grabbed it just in time to keep the tank and side case from impacting the guard rail, but my right mirror did what it does..and broke-way (which reminds me I need to replace the wire tie)... only a slight scuff on the underside of the mirror where the vent opening are.. but otherwise unscathed.

What a dumbass.

Lessons learned:

1) Especially when distracted by unsafe surroundings (highway overpass, moderate traffic, rainy conditions) be keenly aware of your bike's geometry when getting on and off the saddle. [I am always vigilant to the angle the bike sits when parked to make sure I have a few extra degrees from vertical (10 degrees guessing) lean on the stand side...] -- In this case I didn't notice the crowning on the shoulder was more pronounced than I thought and I was distracted by the environment.

2) Don't be stupid and put your weight on the right side peg when trying to lever your gear on, tie your shoe, or whatever is down by your ankles you're reaching for.... talk about dumb.

Nothing damaged but my pride. And she hasn't yet kissed the earth with her side cases.... but, I still feel stupid as hell over it.

signed,

Annonymous.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
My wife just doesn't understand gravity and the effect it has on parked K12LT. She's always getting on my about my selecting a good place to park. I had to make sure she puts "her stuff" in the right sidecase now because she pushes on them with so much force to make sure they're closed! But our previous motorcycle was a Suzuki Bouleavard and that thing leaned so far over on the sidestand could park it almost anywhere!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts