BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The flagship lost 65 measly pounds - and is still obese.

According to my calculations the difference in dry weight between my 2002 LT and 1600 GTL is 65 pounds. (771 vs. 706)

But the 706 lbs. does NOT INCLUDE THE WEIGHT OF THE TOP BOX AND PANNIERS! That's gotta' be another 30lbs. of lard.

(GEE, HOW INTERESTING THEY WAY THEY LIST THAT with a tiny footnote...)

I find it hard to believe that in - what - 12 years difference between the two designs - they could not have shaved off more weight than that...

Yeah, I'm sure with the lower seat, narrower profile, more torque blah blah blah it will feel lighter, but mass is mass. It's still a porker and 'ya still gotta back it up (without reverse?) and put it on the center stand.

I'll wait for Honda's response.

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
according to my hand book the 2000 K1200LT weighs in at 840lbs so that would be a loss of 115 lbs.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
In this article from 2000, they claim the LT's DRY WEIGHT is 788 pounds.

The bottom line ... read my sig line. ;)

·
Registered
293 Posts
For the 2006 model the BMW brochure specified dry weight is 776 lbs, a five pound gain over the first generation's 771 on the same basis. The 800 lb+ numbers being called out is the wet weight.

The new BMW brochure list the K1600GTL's dry weights and wet weights respectively at 706 lbs and 766 lbs...both numbers without top box and panniers. If you add the luggage, I suspect the difference in actual weight between the LT and the GTL is more in the 30-40 lb range.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Duane_in_Florida said:
For the 2006 model the BMW brochure specified dry weight is 776 lbs, a five pound gain over the first generation's 771 on the same basis. The 800 lb+ numbers being called out is the wet weight.

The new BMW brochure list the K1600GTL's dry weights and wet weights respectively at 706 lbs and 766 lbs...both numbers without top box and panniers. If you add the luggage, I suspect the difference in actual weight between the LT and the GTL is more in the 30-40 lb range.
Thanks for pointing that out! I missed it and edited my first post to reflect the correct weights.

OINK! :D

·
THE Democracy Doctor
5,694 Posts
Yeah guys, much like the "new" Camaro (which is about 600 pounds to heavy), she is STILL a PORKER! Beer goggles on..... :D

·
Registered
167 Posts
All of you guys are completely wrong. The wet weight is 703 lbs without the side bags and is 760 lbs with side bags and top-case. The dry weight hasn't been released at all.

·
IBR# 366
16,554 Posts
The official BMW brochure shows:

K 1600 GT
675 lbs (306 kg) Dry weight (1)
703 lbs (319 kg) Unladen weight, fully fueled/road-ready (2)

K 1600 GTL
708 lbs (321 kg) Dry weight (1)
767 lbs (348 kg) Unladen weight, fully fueled/road-ready (2)

(1) Unladen weight without operating fluids.
Excludes panniers and top box.

(2) As defined in EU directive 93/93/EEC,
filled with all operating fluids, fueled to
at least 90% of useable tank capacity.
Excludes panniers and top box.

·
Registered
167 Posts
The brochure is wrong. Use logic: there's no possible way for the GTL to weigh 65 lbs more than the GT just from the addition of a radio and some chrome-colored trim. That makes no sense. The original release material from November 5th stated that the GT wet weight was 703 lbs without side bags and the GTL with side bags and top case was 767 lbs. That makes much more sense.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
CGameProgrammer said:
The brochure is wrong. Use logic: there's no possible way for the GTL to weigh 65 lbs more than the GT just from the addition of a radio and some chrome-colored trim. That makes no sense. The original release material from November 5th stated that the GT wet weight was 703 lbs without side bags and the GTL with side bags and top case was 767 lbs. That makes much more sense.

BMW is wrong?

Oh well, it won't be the first time in a big corporation the PR hacks and the engineering department got their wires crossed, but my money is on the engineers.

Maybe their scales are off.

That would 'splain it! :D

I STILL agree with Duane - the actual difference between a "like" equipped GTL and my '02 LT (which of course doesn't have the porky power center stand so is a better comparison than an 05' and newer) is probably in the neighborhood of 30 to 40 lbs.

She's gonna' be a better handling, faster pig - but a heavy date just the same. I don't think she's any better looking though, but that's a matter of personal taste.

I would still date her, but only after she's been around the block for a while to see if she puts out - and doesn't leave me stranded at heart break hotel.

Pushing her around or backing her up is going to require some muscle - hopefully they've got the geometry on the center stand nailed down.

SUUUUeeeeeee!

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
RonKMiller said:
Pushing her around or backing her up is going to require some muscle...
Now I see why you're so escaredid. :p

·
IBR# 366
16,554 Posts
CGameProgrammer said:
The original release material from November 5th stated that the GT wet weight was 703 lbs without side bags and the GTL with side bags and top case was 767 lbs.
That's what I remembered, too. And yes, that makes more sense.

·
THE Democracy Doctor
5,694 Posts
Yeah all it takes is ONE time with the "beer goggles" on and you have ANOTHER pig! I mean it's not like it hasn't happened before--or will not again! :D

·
Registered
446 Posts
meese said:
That's what I remembered, too. And yes, that makes more sense.
So Ken, if you take the 64 lbs and divide it by the three items that means that the bags and box weigh a little over 20 lbs each. Those seem like very heavy items to me, There must be other weight like the seat, for example.

·
IBR# 366
16,554 Posts
The trunk on the LT weighs something like 35 lbs . . .

Remember, the GTL also has the radio system and a few other "standard" features that are options on the GT. That will account for some of the weight.

·
Registered
807 Posts
messenger13_ver2 said:
Now I see why you're so escaredid. :p

Rode my LT four years and NEVER used the reverse.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I've noticed the number of late model LT's for sale on Ebay and BMW ON have dropped since the specs came out on the new bikes. I'm not selling mine for another heavy bike that doesn't have reverse. It is a convenience and a safety factor that I am not willing to lose for a few more horses and lights attached to the steering. I think BMW has screwed up on this one.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
jimbobmw said:
I've noticed the number of late model LT's for sale on Ebay and BMW ON have dropped since the specs came out on the new bikes.
Wouldn't be because winter is upon us and half the country has been having crappy weather. Naw! That couldn't be it! :rolleyes: *facepalm*

·
Registered
47 Posts
Ok, finally have to wade into the waters here... you guys are funny. I hope you realize this is a 1600 cc engine with two more cylinders? Makes me think it would not be that much lighter? Can't believe you would all beat this weight thing to death? :rolleyes:

On the non reverse for four years..??? never been in a gravel parking lot with the wife on the back and need to move back a few feet? ;)

No hydraulic lift...not required since I rebuild mine every year? And it is real fun to pull up next to a group of weekend RUBees on their parking lot Hardley Ableson's and watch their jaw's drop when the beast lifts up and parks itself !!! :rotf:

I don't use the radio on the LT anyways, GPS with Sirius and nice custom Ear Inc buds does fine...oh by the way, i use the remote for the GPS, just because I can. :cool:

just my two cents worth... :wave

1 - 20 of 29 Posts