BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just when everyone is going ga-ga about the 1600 GLT lookie what BMW has been messing about with - ANOTHER inline 4. :eek:

This one's got 240 turbo horses, but without the boost this would make one very fine motorsickle engine, and at 2 liters a logical step up for the next gen LT.

With Valvetronic and an already flat torque curve from 1250 to 4800 rpm... the possibilities to massage this into a luxury touring machine are endless.

...and yes, I DO INDEED think there will be another LT in a couple of years. And unlike other BMW car engines this one will easily fit a motorcycle.

I'll wait. ;)

From SAE International:

...The engine will replace most applications of the 3.0-L inline six-cylinder in gradual steps, starting with the Z4 coupe later this year. The company also will introduce a test fleet of its Active-E, an all-electric model based on the 1 Series sedan but admitted that even by 2020 it expects that 85-90% of its U.S. sales will be gasoline/diesel-engine powered. The company is very confident about bringing back a four-cylinder gasoline engine, which it has not offered in the U.S. for 10 years. Each of the turbo engine’s two scrolls is fed by an exhaust stream from a separate cylinder pair for minimum back pressure. The engine is rated at 240 hp (179 kW) at 5000 rpm, which is an approximate match for the two versions of the 3.0-L I6, one rated at 230 hp (172 kW) and the other at 255 hp (190 kW).

The four-cylinder delivers 20% better fuel economy (about 29.8 mpg) than the I6 on the European Driving Cycle Combined, the company stated. Unsurprisingly, the performance of the 2.0-L turbo is much greater than the naturally aspirated four-cylinder of a decade ago. That powerplant, at 1.9 L, was rated at just 138 hp (103 kW).

The new 2.0-L turbo is direct injected with fuel at up to 200 bar (2900 psi). It is a slightly long-stroke unit at 84 x 90 mm (3.31 x 3.54 in), which along with the Valvetronic fully variable lift/timing system, produces a torque curve that is virtually flat from 1250 to 4800 rpm, explained Dr. Harald Unger, Head of BMW Petrol In-Line Engines. Peak torque is 260 lb·ft (354 N·m)...."

Attachments

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
That would be great if they can come up with a better clutch system!

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
My opinion? BMW's automobile and motorcycle companies are too disjointed for this motor to end up in any bike. The current LT is going, going, ... gone.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts