BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son and I bought a 2001 BMW K1200LT for parts. Bike ran when we purchased it, but we were told engine was no good. We were able to ride it home about 50 miles, but it was pretty clear engine was no good. We decided to disable the bike for parts.

I will be putting a post in the classifieds section but all you LT guys, I figured I would give you a heads up - and also share the disassembly videos and pictures linked below. Bike even came with a $180 BMW Cup Holder :)

See pictures and videos of the bike before, during, and after disassembly.
If interested in any parts, PM me. EVERYTHING IS FOR SALE.

Thanks, happy holidays!

Teardown Photos
https://imgur.com/a/52CC5IT

Teardown Video Part1

Teardown Video Part 2

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
My son and I bought a 2001 BMW K1200LT for parts. Bike ran when we purchased it, but we were told engine was no good. We were able to ride it home about 50 miles, but it was pretty clear engine was no good. We decided to disable the bike for parts.

I will be putting a post in the classifieds section but all you LT guys, I figured I would give you a heads up - and also share the disassembly videos and pictures linked below. Bike even came with a $180 BMW Cup Holder :)

See pictures and videos of the bike before, during, and after disassembly.
If interested in any parts, PM me. EVERYTHING IS FOR SALE.

Thanks, happy holidays!
What was wrong with the engine?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,254 Posts
Looks like they could not get the swing arm pivot bolts out so they cut the frame.

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
Looks like they could not get the swing arm pivot bolts out so they cut the frame.
Should have sent it to Kirk! :grin:

Well, better to cut the frame than the swing arm as I suspect the demand for frames is pretty small compared to that for swingarms.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,254 Posts
got ridden from Texas to Chicago very low on oil
Yup that will take out #1 rod bearing and the front main as well as this feeds from the front back on oil.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Any money he might make from scrap he can put towards fixing all those fresh dings in his tail gate.:grin:

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
Reactions: LTnAZ

·
Registered
717 Posts
Any money he might make from scrap he can put towards fixing all those fresh dings in his tail gate.:grin:
It's a truck. I was just thinking "this guy is actually using his truck like a truck" when he heaved the frame into the bed.
Sorry, just see too many pickup owners here in TX fret over scratching the bed.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
And have $$ leftover to see the chiropractor too :wink:

Reactions: LTnAZ and kbob12

·
Registered
29 Posts
Well, you did a great job both tearing and documenting!
You picked the right site to share it as well.
I'll be a buyer on some items for sure!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey all - I'm OP's son (can you tell by the creative usernames?)

Here are couple more post-tear down photos for your interest;

1 - 17 of 17 Posts