BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be an obvious question but I searched the HoW and found nothing on it:

My son -- a thoughtful young man -- gave me a BMW dust cover for Christmas. I finally pulled it out of the packaging last night and put it on the bike. There is no factory hold or grommet for the antenna, so for the time being the bike's left hindquarters are uncovered.

Am I supposed to make my own hole in the fabric, or am I supposed to remove the antenna every time I put the cover on?

If the former, what suggestions do you have for making a hole and reinforcing it so it doesn't tear?

TIA.

·
Registered
740 Posts
There should be a grommet that came with the cover, but if not you can get one at most hardware stores. You can do it a couple of different ways, but one is to take the antenna off and put the bullet shaped boot back on, put the cover on and mark where the antenna needs to come through and proceed with your gromment installation.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I also have the BMW dust cover and like it very much. They are great looking and do the job of protecting from dust quite well.

However, they did not address the antenna when at the drawing board. I simply installed a brass grommet which I purchased from the local home supply store (Lowes). Grommets and installation tool are cheap enough.

It has worked well since.

·
Premium Member
7,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks

Thanks for the tips, guys. It makes sense now. I can buy a grommet and have my wife (expert seamstress-type) whip-stitich it into place.

Appreciate the help.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Dust cover.

I had a seamstress put a button hole on my cover. Works great and there is nothing rubbing on the antena. You said you wife sews well, just mark it and ask her. Shoud take about ten minutes.

·
Premium Member
7,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BudCesena said:
I had a seamstress put a button hole on my cover. Works great and there is nothing rubbing on the antena. You said you wife sews well, just mark it and ask her. Shoud take about ten minutes.
My wife mentioned doing a button hole, but also suggested that doing a button hole around/over a grommet would make it even tougher for the fabric to tear. In other words, she's going to incorporate a grommet into a button hole... if that makes sense. Think of those adhesive paper hole-punch reinforcement thingies... same idea.

·
Registered
51 Posts
BMW Dust Cover

I did the same. I went down to my sporting goods store and bought a supply of plastic grommets for tarps. I marked where the antenna would be and installed the grommet. Its plastic so it will harm any body parts. One solution.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts