BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that this is not a "boot forum" but with summer coming on, I am interested to know if anyone has used the BMW AirFlow 3 boot? Any comments would be welcomed.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I just got one a month ago and I must say, here are a couple of comments:

pro
- very light weight, but provides sturdy protection on toes and heel
- one zipper to open and close, with variable positions for allow air
- has an extra leather patch on left toe for shifter gear protection
- traction is positive and the sole really "grips" the road surfaces well, with very little chance of slipping
- really provides great cooling effect, as advertized
- very well made, good leather and solid stiches overall good quality, made in Romania

con
- pricey, mine cost me about $200, and that is after a 20% discount
- can cause calf soreness after wearing all day in office--I ride to work and I wear these boots all day and if you walk a lot, can cause the aforementioned soreness, but otherwise tolerable

overall, I highly recommend, I am very satisfied and the best lightweight riding boots I've ever worn. I also ride a HD Ultra Classic and it has relaced all my H-D riding boots, weighing like boat anchors...

DC
------
09 RT
09 Ultra

·
Registered
126 Posts
You might also want to look at the A-star Net Vented boot. I got my from Rev Zilla. They have video reviews that help provide more information. Either way i think you will be good.

·
Cat Herder
1,516 Posts
I have a pair of AirFlow 2 and AirFlow 3's. Very comfortable but a little pricey.

·
Registered
189 Posts
On the Airflow 3 boots: +1 for me and +1 for my daughter.
We took them half a size bigger than should be, to avoid any compression and to assure some 'freedom of movement' on longer trips. Turns out to be OK.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I'd be wary of these boots behind boxer cylinders.

·
Cat Herder
1,516 Posts
lkchris said:
I'd be wary of these boots behind boxer cylinders.
Why!!! is the question... I have ridden an LT and an RT with these boots and the are great.

I have even ridden in the rain with them and feet stayed dry. (Afternoon showers in the mountains type rain)

·
Registered
820 Posts
I'm with TVGuy on this one. Why the concern over the Air Flow with a boxer? :confused: I have a pair and have ridden on both my C and my RT with happy feet and no concerns. I recently purchased the Pro Tour in order to get the Gore Tex for an upcoming trip to Alaska on a GSA and certainly would not have done so if I had been displeased with the Air Flow.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
tvguy said:
Why!!! is the question... I have ridden an LT and an RT with these boots and the are great.
Maybe so, but the notion of "flowing" superheated air through those vents seems counterintuitve.

I of course still think back to my Nikasil Airhead.

·
Registered
296 Posts
lkchris said:
Maybe so, but the notion of "flowing" superheated air through those vents seems counterintuitve.

I of course still think back to my Nikasil Airhead.
Howdy Kent,

I am not trying to pick a fight, however, my experience is this:

I ride an '08 RT in Central California year round. In the summer months, I occasionally ride with a pair of Sidi ventilated boots. In my experience on my RT, after riding 45,000 miles, "superheated air" simply isn't an issue. In fact, I've owned an R80/7, R1150R, and an R1200C Montauk and the fact is that the boxer motors on my motorcycles never produced extraordinarily hot air on my feet, or anywhere else for that matter. The only time I have notice engine heat at all was on the '06 K1200LT and that heat hit my legs just above the top of my BMW "Tour-lite" boots.

YMMV :dance:

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
It's my experience, too, that the Oilheads shed less heat off the cylinders.

So do iron-liner Airheads as your R80/7, which put their heat into their motor oil.

But a Nikasil Airhead sheds heat to the rider in mass quantities.

Airflow boots seem a summer-only thing in any event, while I can and do wear my Airflow suit year around.

Last Sunday's ride home from the RA National in Colorado began with temps in the 30s and ended at about 94. Riding's an adventure.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts