BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Old Dawg
3,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I sold my much loved LT to guy up in Pasco Washington. I have a new GS Adventure on order that should arrive in a few weeks. I will probably visit this site a bit less than my usual twice daily but it will still be fun to check in.

Reactions: Voyager and Patric

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
You will miss her.

·
Premium Member
7,623 Posts
You will miss her.
I wonder if I will miss mine when I sell it or trade it in. I am almost thinking it may be like they say about boats and airplanes. The two happiest days in the life of an airplane/boat owner are the day he buys the airplane/boat and the day he sells it! >:)

Reactions: Mark65

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,257 Posts
I am sure you will miss the old girl, just don't be a stranger around the forum.

Reactions: Voyager

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
When I traded my 03 LT for my 16 RT, I did not look back. The RT fits my needs and physical limitations much better.. I’ve had two LTs since 2000 and have ridden almost coast to coast on them, so lots of good memories...

·
Registered
2003 1200LT
337 Posts
Start a GS thread! We can all follow your shenanigans and think about getting one ourselves :)

·
Old Dawg
3,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wonder if I will miss mine when I sell it or trade it in. I am almost thinking it may be like they say about boats and airplanes. The two happiest days in the life of an airplane/boat owner are the day he buys the airplane/boat and the day he sells it! >:)
It is like a boat for me as far as repair and maintenance cost vs. the current value of the bike, just time to move on. I have had 3 LT's since joining this site, a 2001, a 2003 and the 2005.

Start a GS thread! We can all follow your shenanigans and think about getting one ourselves :)

Good thinking, when the GS arrives I will start a thread. I have a nice little stack of boxes full of fun mods waiting to install.

·
Premium Member
7,623 Posts
It is like a boat for me as far as repair and maintenance cost vs. the current value of the bike, just time to move on. I have had 3 LT's since joining this site, a 2001, a 2003 and the 2005.

Good thinking, when the GS arrives I will start a thread. I have a nice little stack of boxes full of fun mods waiting to install.
I hear ya. I am so upside down in my LT that it isn’t funny. I figure I need at least three more years now to fully amortize the $3,000 I spend two years ago on clutch, suspension and GPS and now the $500 (insurance covered the rest) for my Russell seat. And that assumes no other major repairs in the next 3 years. :grin:

I like the GS, but the wife does not. She was fairly happy with the K1600 GA, but I admit that I am now more drawn to the new R1250RT. Looks like it has great power, decent wind and weather protection, looks pretty nice, is lighter and much easier maintenance-wise and looks to have good aftermarket support.

If I was a solo rider, I’d probably be on a GS as I like to ride back roads and go to remote places. However, I really enjoy having the wife along so I have to make a few sacrifices. :grin:

·
Premium Member
7,623 Posts
She should have her own RT.
Very true! Unfortunately, she has zero interest in anything other than riding with me. And after I helped my daughter get her license last fall (I am a Total Control instructor for PA) and she crashed her like new used 2013 Ninja 300 two weeks later, I am not sure I want my wife to try to learn to ride. :surprise:

·
Registered
500 Posts

If everything works out, I’ll get a 2017 GSA this year.
Don’t think I can make myself part with the LT though.

For my BD on the 21st I gave myself a K12S. To make company to my K12R.

And this is the GSA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
187 Posts
K1200S is so badass. Totally bitchen. Totally.

Reactions: mondrage

·
Registered
500 Posts
K1200S is so badass. Totally bitchen. Totally.

I’m totally pimping this baby.
The last owner, a friend of mine, totally neglected her. As a favor I even replaced the engine.

Two days after buying it the clutch was pretty gone and the final drive failed.
Replaced the clutch (had a new one JIC) ans just got a newer FD.

Installed helibars, new CNC levers, luggage rack, LED lights and a Delkevic 8” shorty exhaust (bitchin’ loud but cool rumble).
Bought a new read sw-motech rack.
New rear and blinker leds.
Blinker lenses.
Schwaben 31mm riser bars.
And painted it.
But I might go further in the paint make over.

My K12S looks like the top pic. But I think the lower picture looks killer.

Reactions: Mark65

·
Registered
187 Posts
Dude.

·
Super Moderator
1,403 Posts
Speaks a lot for you, the bike and this community - 17 years with a single model bike that was last made 10 years ago - good luck with the new ride and ride safe . . .:D

Reactions: hschisler

·
Registered
500 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
I traded a 2000 LT in 2004 because my Dad could no longer ride (78 yrs old at the time) and I thought I was too young for the LT (I was 43 at the time). I missed that bike a lot for 10 years till I bought an ‘01 from a friend. I am now most certainly old enough for the LT! I just hope I can ride her till I’m 78 like my Dad did!

I am certain you will miss the big girl.

·
Old Dawg
3,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I started riding them in my late 30's (37 to be specific) and never felt like it was a bike for an old guy :D

·
Registered
500 Posts
I started riding them in my late 30's (37 to be specific) and never felt like it was a bike for an old guy :D

Bought mine (a 2007) in 2013. I was 38 at the time. I assure you, that’s not an old man bike (only).

·
Registered
2003 1200LT
337 Posts
If everything works out, I’ll get a 2017 GSA this year.
Don’t think I can make myself part with the LT though.

For my BD on the 21st I gave myself a K12S. To make company to my K12R.

And this is the GSA

I want a job where YOU WORK! :grin::surprise::clapping:

Mondrage, theoretically the GSA is much lighter than the LT but I've always heard the GS is a real demon to get upright because it is so tall. Assuming it is easier to walk it up backwards even so??

I watched a guy in the Amazon Prime Video series "Tough Rides" try to pick up an 800 GS in mud and sand and I was exhausted just watching it, lol.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts