BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure where to post this but it should be usefull to those that Camp a lot.

I just thought I'd share this since we have a mosquito problem here...and Listerine has no DDT in it, which is nicer for spraying on your children!

The best way of getting rid of mosquitoes is Listerine, the
original medicinal type. (The cheap Dollar Store-type works, too.)

I was at a deck party awhile back, and the bugs were having a ball biting everyone. A man at the party sprayed the lawn and deck floor with Listerine, and the little demons disappeared.

The next year I filled a 4-ounce spray bottle and used it around my seat whenever I saw mosquitoes. And voila! That worked as well. It worked at a picnic where we sprayed the area around the food table, the children's swing area, and the standing water nearby.

During the summer, I don't leave home without it.....

Pass it on to everyone you care about....

A FRIEND'S COMMENTS:
I tried this on my deck and around all of my doors. It works -
in fact, it killed them instantly. I bought my bottle from Target and it cost me $1.89. It really doesn't take much, and it is a big bottle, too; so it is not as expensive to use as the can of spray you buy that doesn't last 30 minutes. So, try this, please. It will last a couple of days.

Don't spray directly on a wood door (like your front door), but
spray around the frame. Spray around the window frames, and even inside the dog house if you have one. :)

·
Registered
183 Posts
An interesting tip, we camp a lot and I'll definately give this a try. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good One, didn't think about that.! :bmw:

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just an FYI for everyone, Snopes say's that this and using Dawn dishwashing liquid DO NOT WORK! SO take it for what it's worth.. If Anything. I need to learn to check before i pass on this kind of info. :confused:

·
Registered
773 Posts
In Scotland to keep the dreaded midges away a lot of people recommend Avon cosmetics Skin So Soft and it seems to work. I obviously have no idea about American mosquitos ;-/

Regards

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
grahamw said:
In Scotland to keep the dreaded midges away a lot of people recommend Avon cosmetics Skin So Soft and it seems to work. I obviously have no idea about American mosquitos ;-/

Regards
American mosquitos like to take over large chucks of land as much as we try to bomb em...they stay and suck the blood of all around em. ;)

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
I gotta tell ya.. whenever we use any "repellent" around Louisiana, it's like putting up a sign saying "Keg Party"...

Unfortunately, the 6/12 they once made, which was useful, can no longer be found.

The stuff the Gov. issued in 'Nam was effective for about 5 minutes... but everyone and everything could smell you for an hour...

·
Registered
577 Posts
My grand dad had a sure fire plan.
it went something like this
Step One. You have to catch the mosquito you are interested in
Step Two. Do what ever you want with the Mosquito you have caught :)

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
grahamw said:
Regards
During my Navy career, stationed in Beaufort, SC, Avon Skin So Soft was often used to keep sand fleas from biting. I learned the tip from some friends who were very nice smelling US Marines. :) The stuff worked but I don't think it worked as a repellant. I'd cover my arms and face with the stuff before working outside. I'd end up with dozens of sand fleas stuck to my skin. The bugs were stuck and drowned in the Skin So Soft. It didn't repell them but it did keep them from biting.

·
Registered
40 Posts
How do you know that snopes is true? :confused:

(Snopes say's that this and using Dawn dishwashing liquid DO NOT WORK! SO take it for what it's worth.. )

1 - 13 of 13 Posts