BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an oil leak and began the search for it and found a mess. I suspected the oil crankcase vent line, so I began there, OH What fun that turned out to be! After getting down to the tupperware off, I began trying to get further into the motor. I removed the airbox and found the throttle bodies. note: To remove the airbox there are hose clamps on each intake hose, two are "BMW" snap rings, kinda clamps, to remove you use neddle nose pliers to twist the clamp. I plan to replace with worm clamps.
To remove the throttle bodies is more of the same, hose clamps and the bracket for the throttle valve actuator. There are more steps to this, I am giving a brief synopsis.

After getting this far into tear down I found that the injectors are spraying fuel on top of the engine, so I am waiting for o-rings. So I can replace the top ones, there are two o-rings on each injector.

So I replaced the crankcase vent line, A pair of hemostats makes this job super easy where the line connects to the engine.I found a small split in the line and a small spot of oil under the connection, and it is not the problem. But it is changed, and will be sometime before I have to return to these depths.

Here are a few pics of my discoveries in the depths of the Motherland!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
60K on the clock, Joe

Sad part is we are having some of the best riding weather now, High 80, Low 60. Supposed to hit the 50's this weekend.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Hey, with it that far apart, you really should think about doing the complete cannisterectomy (even if you've already yanked the can and plugged the aft ends of the hoses). You can pull that entire hose assembly off the vacuum ports on the throttle bodies and chuck it. Just make sure you properly plug the vacuum ports when you're done. I didn't do such a hot job, and a few hundred miles after gettin' all 'er clothes back on, I had two missing plugs and a third loose! Got 'er good & fixed now though.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actooly, I was planning that, I also have a compressor to replace the canister.

Before long I may catch up with Ari the Farkle King!

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
NOGILLS2 said:
Actooly, I was planning that, I also have a compressor to replace the canister.

Before long I may catch up with Ari the Farkle King!
I doubt that. You don't have the winter off that Ari does to do all that work and when you do have the time, you're riding not working on the Beerburner.

·
Premium Member
7,647 Posts
NOGILLS2 said:
I have an oil leak and began the search for it and found a mess. I suspected the oil crankcase vent line, so I began there, OH What fun that turned out to be! After getting down to the tupperware off, I began trying to get further into the motor. I removed the airbox and found the throttle bodies. note: To remove the airbox there are hose clamps on each intake hose, two are "BMW" snap rings, kinda clamps, to remove you use neddle nose pliers to twist the clamp. I plan to replace with worm clamps.
To remove the throttle bodies is more of the same, hose clamps and the bracket for the throttle valve actuator. There are more steps to this, I am giving a brief synopsis.

After getting this far into tear down I found that the injectors are spraying fuel on top of the engine, so I am waiting for o-rings. So I can replace the top ones, there are two o-rings on each injector.

So I replaced the crankcase vent line, A pair of hemostats makes this job super easy where the line connects to the engine.I found a small split in the line and a small spot of oil under the connection, and it is not the problem. But it is changed, and will be sometime before I have to return to these depths.

Here are a few pics of my discoveries in the depths of the Motherland!
That sure is a lot of crude on your throtte bodies. Any idea where that came from?

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am waiting for new O-rings for the fuel injectors. It appears that fuel spray has accumalated around the throttle bodies and dirt has collected with it. I spoke with one of "The Guru's" here and we agreed that is was the injectors having an overspray issue.

I was surprised to find that mess there, as I have not smelled gas, except when the quick connect split and have been replaced with brass connectors.

I still havent found the oil leak, but I am getting closer! This job frustrated me at first, but now I am excited to be so deep into the engine. I am hoping that this maintenence job will last another 6 years.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Except for the knowledge, already learned there, but it does help ones confidence level, and the pieces parts are smaller, I am used to the MANLY stuff, not all this tiny stuff, I have to use a magnifying glass to see it!

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts