BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lemme explain...

On several of the bikes I used to own (one of which I put over 100K on), I could (and would) downshift without using the clutch. Match the bike speed, engine speed and tap down. Not all the time, but a good portion of the deceleration times during a trip.

The LT I have now seems to do this quite nicely. I am still learning the power band of the LT and the idiosyncracies of the clutch, but it begs the question and it's one I have not found an answer to...

Can one downshift (4 to 3 or 3 to 2) while decelerating and not tap the clutch on the LT? Will it hurt the tranny on this thing?

I need input... :confused:

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
There have been a couple of posts about tranny's failing. I don't know if there has been a final diagnosis at to what causes the failures.

My $.02 cents. Shifting carefully without the clutch isn't any more harmful than carelessly with the clutch. I.e. Down shifting and dumping the clutch and using the engine as brake in a rough manor.

Roy

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
How much does a Transmission cost ?

I just wouldn't make a habit of shifting without the clutch...

It's there for a reason. To keep things from coming apart in the trans is only one of them...

Shifting under load has got to be more damaging to the trans than shifting without the load of the machine on it....hence the clutch...

jmtcw

John

1 - 3 of 3 Posts