BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Just ridin'
5,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just wanted to say thank you to those of you who have stepped up and contributed to help offset the costs of operating this web community. Every bit helps.

We have made a great effort to keep it free from advertising and we are determined to keep it that way. This is a busy community with nearly 25,000 members. The unfortunate reality is that while the costs to operate this site have steadily risen, the number of supporters has not kept up. Out of our total membership, barely 1% actually support this community as subscribers. The number of supporters is actually less than half of what it was in 2008, yet our membership has nearly doubled.

We hate to be like PBS and be in your face with our pledge drive, but unlike PBS we only are alive due to the support of our membership. If you appreciate this community and feel that it is of value to you, won’t you please take a moment and click on “Support this Community” at the bottom of any page and enter your subscription for a year. Believe me that I understand that these are challenging economic times, but we aren’t asking for much. For as little as a dollar a month, you can really help us pay for the hardware, hosting and other expenses associated with supporting this online community.

On a personal note, I regret that I have been unable to participate around here as much as I used to and as much as I would like to, but I hope to get back more often. I still appreciate and support this community, as I have since we began over ten years ago.

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
Randy,

Personally I would prefer it if you didn't have to take advertising, but if the numbers require it, I'll understand.

What I don't understand is the number of people getting value from this site and not contributing at least the cost of a cup of coffee a month. (without the senior discount) As I've said previously, this forum has saved me $100.00's if not $1,000.00's of dollars and giving back only several dollars a month is just fair.

I get a lot more pleasure from my bike because of this site and I've met people who I never would have if it wasn't for this forum. It is probably the best run of any that I frequent and is such a pleasure to read.

·
Just ridin'
5,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DanDiver said:
Randy,

Personally I would prefer it if you didn't have to take advertising, but if the numbers require it, I'll understand.

What I don't understand is the number of people getting value from this site and not contributing at least the cost of a cup of coffee a month. (without the senior discount) As I've said previously, this forum has saved me $100.00's if not $1,000.00's of dollars and giving back only several dollars a month is just fair.

I get a lot more pleasure from my bike because of this site and I've met people who I never would have if it wasn't for this forum. It is probably the best run of any that I frequent and is such a pleasure to read.
Word!

This is truly the best community I have ever been a part of. We all have had things in our life that take us in directions we never imagined, but I am always happy to check back in here.

I have faith that that people will step up.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,166 Posts
Totally in Agreement with what Dan said! Heck, I am on my 3rd LT and my bike only goes to the dealership for (extended) warranty stuff, otherwise I do my own wrenching, thanks to the things I learned here.
I belong to other forums, such as Pelican Parts owned and operated by a reseller of Porsche products, but I have yet to make new friends like I have on the LT forum.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Just a thought, does a portion of the admission price from the CCR help this site? It would sort of serve as a commission for promoting CCR?

just a thought perhaps it should be included in NEXT years price. Just saying, :wave

·
Registered
9 Posts
I read this site with interest each day, and have only made one or two replies since joining. I have always enjoyed reading Dan's comments as he always speaks with intelligence and compasion (he never bashes newbies that didn't "seach" a subject before asking the membership, as an example :eek: ). Well his words on this subject hit home with me.... I just made my donation! Thanks Dan.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Donations would increase dramatically if you could find a way to remove the banner from a member's next and subsequent log ons AFTER he or she makes a donation. Sort of pay to avoid the irritation!

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
Thanks for the reminder. This site has been great for me. I will update my membership asap!!

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
This is a great site, one in which I visit daily. I am not Mr. Badwrench but I have gained some mechanical knowledge and have been given a heads-up about things like shift linkage, fuel disconnects and such, so that alone has kept me from sitting on side of the road by having them replaced before I actually encounter the problem! I didn't replace the disconnects replaced in time though! :eek:

The one thing that you can't put a price on is this; I have met some great people on this Forum and some I consider to be good friends. It is great to be able to hook up with this community at rides and get togethers.

Thanks to Randy (and whoever else keeps this site going). .

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
Snip parts ---
Randy said:
I just wanted to say thank you to those of you who have stepped up and contributed to help offset the costs of operating this web community. Every bit helps.

Believe me that I understand that these are challenging economic times, but we aren’t asking for much. For as little as a dollar a day, you can really help us pay for the hardware, hosting and other expenses associated with supporting this online community.
I checked to see if I had renewed my membership, which usually anniversaries in February - yup, I did. Butt I sure fell short of the *dollar a day* mentioned above. :D Guess I need to start lobbying for a COL adjustment in my allowance!!! :histerica

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,976 Posts
I don't consider the banner annoying at all. It reminded me I hadn't paid. :thumb:

·
Registered
910 Posts
Sigh , I too, fell short of the dollar a day, I'll up when I can.. :cool:

·
Just ridin'
5,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
haughty said:
Sigh , I too, fell short of the dollar a day, I'll up when I can.. :cool:
OK, OK. I fixed it. That is what I get for being offline as much as I have had to for the last year.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts