BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was more than a bit shocked to be charged 38 quid +VAT for BMW-branded front brake pads today per side. Where do you guys buy your pads from and what kind of price do you pay?

Keith

·
BMW Guru
8,469 Posts
Rockdoc said:
I was more than a bit shocked to be charged 38 quid +VAT for BMW-branded front brake pads today per side. Where do you guys buy your pads from and what kind of price do you pay?

Keith
They're about $95 USD per caliper here. I've been using EBC pads on my GS and the LT before that. About 1/2 price...

·
Registered
277 Posts
Ted Shred said:
They're about $95 USD per caliper here. I've been using EBC pads on my GS and the LT before that. About 1/2 price...

Ted, have you had good luck with the EBC pads? Any noticeable difference in life, noise, stopping power?

·
BMW Guru
8,469 Posts
dkjkwood said:
Ted, have you had good luck with the EBC pads? Any noticeable difference in life, noise, stopping power?
They work great, have no issues. The rears on the LT are actually quiet and don't squeel like the OEM. That's why I switched originally.

·
Premium Member
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply. It looks as if the price in the US is about the same as over here. I'll bear the EBC pads in mind for the next time they need doing.

My bike has never had the cow-bell effect. The only time the rear made any noise was when I pushed the bike backwards into the garage and not long after that began I was told I had to replace the rear disc assembly - the disc had thousands of miles of wear left but the bobbins were worn out - or it would fail the annual safety test. That was another expensive exercise.

Keith

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
+/1
EBC for 15K miles, no issues................

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
Rockdoc said:
Thanks for the reply. It looks as if the price in the US is about the same as over here. I'll bear the EBC pads in mind for the next time they need doing.

My bike has never had the cow-bell effect. The only time the rear made any noise was when I pushed the bike backwards into the garage and not long after that began I was told I had to replace the rear disc assembly - the disc had thousands of miles of wear left but the bobbins were worn out - or it would fail the annual safety test. That was another expensive exercise.

Keith
Hi, Keith - +1 here for the EBCs also. AND, I like the Carbonne Lorraine street pads - France I believe. If you use those, be sure and specify the 'street' version - not the racing version. The racing version will give bystanders whiplash when they try to locate where the banshee noise is coming from!! ;)

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Dick said:
Hi, Keith - +1 here for the EBCs also. AND, I like the Carbonne Lorraine street pads - France I believe. If you use those, be sure and specify the 'street' version - not the racing version. The racing version will give bystanders whiplash when they try to locate where the banshee noise is coming from!! ;)
+1 on Carbonne Lorraine (I get them from Beemer Boneyard).

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
An example of Motorworks prices and BMWs:
BMW Battery £110 from BMW Cardiff
Motorworks £48!!!!
Pads would be a similar %% saving I would guess

·
Premium Member
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I used both when I had an R80RT but their ranges of K1200LT parts are much thinner so I haven't used them since I bought Katie, although I have browsed the sites once in a while. Looks like I shall have to do it more often.

Keith

1 - 12 of 12 Posts