BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
My brother and I purchased 2019 BMW R1250RT motorcycles when they were first released. While we love the bikes, we never liked the color choices of that year. We picked Black Carbon but we always planned to paint or wrap the bikes eventually. Well, this weekend we finally wrapped the bikes in red and blue. This is the first time we ever attempted wrapping a vehicle using vinyl wrap. We are happy with the results.

View attachment 173695 View attachment 173696 View attachment 173697 View attachment 173698 View attachment 173699 View attachment 173700 View attachment 173701 View attachment 173702 View attachment 173703
Fantastic job!!! They both look awesome!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
My brother and I purchased 2019 BMW R1250RT motorcycles when they were first released. While we love the bikes, we never liked the color choices of that year. We picked Black Carbon but we always planned to paint or wrap the bikes eventually. Well, this weekend we finally wrapped the bikes in red and blue. This is the first time we ever attempted wrapping a vehicle using vinyl wrap. We are happy with the results.

View attachment 173695 View attachment 173696 View attachment 173697 View attachment 173698 View attachment 173699 View attachment 173700 View attachment 173701 View attachment 173702 View attachment 173703

Nice work boys!
I have a "17' in Carbon Black also, never liked black bikes, so i had decided to wrap mine in Pearl White. Maybe we could do a patriotic tour!

·
Registered
181 Posts
What happened to the OP? Inquiring minds have unanswered questions....

·
Registered
445 Posts
I agree with all comments. Good jobs all round. I’m interested to know about costs. And what about removal later? The Matt blue is particularly striking.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
@Robert Walker Beautiful work! Having now done it, how would you rate the effort and was it easy to remove/reapply for mistakes? (Just trying to get familiar with the process and whether it's reasonable to try for the first time on a bike?)

Larry
Again, this is the first time my brother and I attempted to wrap a bike, or work with vinyl wrapping at all. One thing I did right and was lucky is that I chose the best viny wrap out there. My bike is the blue one, and I went with 3M 2080 series vinyl. The 3M vinyl is very forgiving and allows unlimited lift and reapply for mistakes. My brother used the Avery brand and we could tell the difference. If you are going to try it, go 3M. Each bike took about 12-18 hours. But, we are newbies. My guess is that a pro could do it in half the time.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
These bikes look great. I have been contemplating this as well. Do you know about how many hours it took and the total cost? Where did you get the vinyl wrap? Did you remove all the panels and apply the vinyl on a work bench or were you able to leave some of the panels on the bike? Nice work.
You are looking at 12-18 hours. The cost wasn't that bad at all. For my blue bike, the vinyl was less than $170. Your key tool to do the job is a heat gun. We removed every single panel on the bike, including the top case and panniers. I believe there at 14 painted parts in total. Take pictures of where all the screws go. Make room in your garage so you can spread all the parts all over the garage floor. This is the company we bought the vinyl from. One warning, the samples they show don't always truly reflect what the actual color looks like. So, be sure to click on the examples of vehicles that were wrapped in the color so you can see what it really looks like. metrorestyling.com

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
@Robert Walker Beautiful work! Having now done it, how would you rate the effort and was it easy to remove/reapply for mistakes? (Just trying to get familiar with the process and whether it's reasonable to try for the first time on a bike?)

Larry
This type of modification just takes patience. You need to set aside a full weekend and just do it. Get up early, work late. And have a lot of fun in the process. Whenever we completed a panel, we would reinstall it back on the bike. It was thrilling to see the bike turn a different color little by little.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Thank you Robert for info! Bikes look great. I may take on this project this fall. Another detail question: I went to the site you linked. How much did you have to purchase to cover all the panels-what size? Nice Work!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Thank you Robert for info! Bikes look great. I may take on this project this fall. Another detail question: I went to the site you linked. How much did you have to purchase to cover all the panels-what size? Nice Work!
I guessed and tried 5ft x 10ft, and I had just enough but it was close. If I were to do it again, I would go with 5ft x 12ft for added peace of mind.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts