BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 03' LT has this "rattle" coming form within the engine. I took it in for its 6,000 mile service and then folks at Carolina BMW said it was a characteristic of the LT. They rode it, did the big service and sent me on my way with my noise. I don't buy it. I know "rattle" is not much of description so here's more info:

Its easy to reproduce with the bike on its center stand. Just rev to about 2000 RPM and this tink.. tink... turns into a full on , loud rattle at 3000 RPM and stays. A complete evaluation showed no trouble of any kind with values, clutch, drive, fuel pump... nothing. Just a really irritating rattle which no one can seem to find. Does anyone out there have any idea what this could be?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Same issue

Blowingrock.........I have the same issue. The tick tick at low rpm's (on mine ONLY when its cold) sounds like a valve knocking issue. At higher rpms sounds like something is really knocking (again on mine only when its cold).

So two dealerships, two techs have heard it riden it and told me is a normal thing. At least on my bike it only occurs when cold.

I am more annoyed with the %^#%^#%$ Rear brakes squeal....

Just ride it!!!!

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
I had something similar, and after trying timing chain, chain tensioner liners, etc., found that it was broken exhaust pipe headers, inside the flanges that go into the head.

Fairly easy to check. Loosen the exhaust nuts at the head until the system can drop down about 1/8", then see if any of the flanges can be turned any. If so, it is broken and needs to be welded.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I think I remember someone telling me when I asked a similar question about a year ago that the alternator drive "rattles" due to straight-cut gears that have a lot of clearance. The LT is noisy. Earplugs really help now that I know that it's not some sort of "death rattle."

·
Registered
49 Posts
I had the exhaust hanger crack. You know the infamous one that covers up the transmission drain plug. Some of us leave it off. It sounded like your description.

Chip

·
Registered
718 Posts
Noise Here Too...

I have given up trying to fix it. Mine is a heavy rattle coming right from the engine/tranny area.... I thought I had it fixed once... but was just fooling myself. I have checked everything ever written in the LT forum, and none of it helped.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
DaveDragon said:
My 2002 has a few tics and pops here & there but no full on rattles from the engine.

Please fill in your profile info so that we can get to know you as we exchange posts :)
Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dean_BMW said:
I have given up trying to fix it. Mine is a heavy rattle coming right from the engine/tranny area.... I thought I had it fixed once... but was just fooling myself. I have checked everything ever written in the LT forum, and none of it helped.
Thanks for this reply... looks like we're stuck with a the "rattle".

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
paulcbrowne said:
I think I remember someone telling me when I asked a similar question about a year ago that the alternator drive "rattles" due to straight-cut gears that have a lot of clearance. The LT is noisy. Earplugs really help now that I know that it's not some sort of "death rattle."
Yep.. that's what the deal told me too... noisy bike... deal with it. No problem. Like you, I just needed to know I was not leaving a a trail a metal shards in the road. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 00LT same noise when it's cold at idle.Goes away at normal operating temperate.I just tune it out and the bike runs fine.See if that helps???
Steve

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
This is so weird. I have an appointment tomorrow AM at my nearest dealer for the same thing. Mine sounds like something rattling around in the exhaust pipe. Other times I swear it's coming from the piston side of the block. Mine is most noticeable when I'm going say 20 to 40 mph in 2nd and I suddenly let off the gas and have the engine slow me. I also get a popping noise out of the exhaust. Not a back fire mind you, but a popping noise. I can live with the noise I just want to make sure I'm not doing some major damage somewhere.

·
Registered
8 Posts
sounds like a bunch of rocks in a dryer

blowingrock said:
My 03' LT has this "rattle" coming form within the engine. I took it in for its 6,000 mile service and then folks at Carolina BMW said it was a characteristic of the LT. They rode it, did the big service and sent me on my way with my noise. I don't buy it. I know "rattle" is not much of description so here's more info:

Its easy to reproduce with the bike on its center stand. Just rev to about 2000 RPM and this tink.. tink... turns into a full on , loud rattle at 3000 RPM and stays. A complete evaluation showed no trouble of any kind with values, clutch, drive, fuel pump... nothing. Just a really irritating rattle which no one can seem to find. Does anyone out there have any idea what this could be?
I have a 02 lt same problem came on around 6000 miles talk to a mechanic in Chico CA Wallys BMW he said he has same bike same problem alternator gear is a split gear with a spring to keep it loaded with other gears spring wears out at 6000 or 8000 miles result rattling noise.I chipped my bike and installed a remus exaust pipe runs great no more flat spots and more power and better gas milage.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Dang!

My LT must be a "lemon" i dont get any rattels from the bike. i fixed all mine. i had cracked fairings on the tip over wings and a few little screws that had wored their way loose under the left side foot peg that hold the exhaust shield on.
tightened the screws & repaired the fairings with good ol JB weld and hey presto.
I now enjoy the "k-whine" at about 100 kmph!

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
It sounds like you are describing the Cadillac converter rattle to me. It can be very embarrassing especially when around HD's, and they rev up with noise and popping and I rev up with a tinny rattle, then everyone laughs. Then I usually blow them off the road as we excelerate, then no one is laughing anymore!

·
Registered
170 Posts
I've got all the same rattles and buzzes...and on a similar topic, I've always wondered why the LT's engine sounds so much like a tractor and not as smooth as other inline fours?

·
Registered
215 Posts
The best fix is turn up the stereo and ride it like you stole it. Good Luck and try not to let it bug you and just enjoy the ride. By the way I have dealt with Carolina BMW and have always been happy.
Leon
05 Blue LT

·
Registered
73 Posts
Came through Blowing Rock right after Christmas on my LT. I was going to Beech Mtn. The wind about took my head off when I got to Blowing Rock. Made it to Boone and left my Bike at the Hampton Inn. Wind was knarly - got in the Pickup with my wife. On the way back I picked up the bike and rode down the Mountain in snow, ice and wind. The weather prediction was wrong this time - I will investigate better next time. Nice Place though.

·
Registered
713 Posts
ATLDB,, try a set of ECB or is it EBC? Any way that should help your rear brake squeal.. Always use BMW in the front.............Regards Pete

·
IBR# 366
16,563 Posts
Yeah Dez, about six kilos of JB weld will fix almost any rattle, if you apply it in the right places. I also hear it's great for filling in those non-aerodynamic cracks between the body panels. :D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts