BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For your pictures from the transmission oil change. I'd have never guessed that the exhaust bracket was what it was, that is some fancy piece of engineering for a simple bracket.
Today I changed the transmission oil, rear drive oil (anyone else hate the smell of gear oil?) and added a powerlet to the RH side fairing, oposite the LH one. The Blue Behemoth is now running on all synthetic fluids and the 1/2 shift clunk is gone. Next up will be QD's (metal) for the tank, K&N air filter and coolant change. Then later it will be on to the valve lash check. Going to put that off for a bit since I just got finished putting a new cam in the car and am about "wrenched out" for a while.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,208 Posts
When you go for the quick disconnects and air filter change,
be sure to take lotsa pictures,
and when it comes time to post them....ask Joe :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will do. I thought about taking pics of the rear drive fluid change, but that is easier than doing the oil change on a car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,180 Posts
Morley said:
....Today I changed the transmission oil, rear drive oil (anyone else hate the smell of gear oil?).... QUOTE]

I love the smell! But I also love the smell of unburned gasoline, 2 stroke exhaust etc.! :eek: :)
I do hate the smell of fuel oil on my BODY!:eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
439 Posts
New fule QD's

Here is some pics of mine from a few weeks ago.
Used a pair of locking pliers with some paint stirs taped to them as not to mark the fuel lines so I did not have to remove the tank.
I ordered the folowing parts from www.mcmaster.com.
It took about an hour and a half from start to ride.
They have about 400 miles on them no problems

5478K81
Hi Pressure Chrome-Pltd Brass Quick-Conn Cplg Socket, 3/8" Tube Id, 1/4" Coupler, Shut-Off Valve
In stock at $17.50 Each
Each

5478K121
Hi Pressure Chrome-Pltd Brass Quick-Conn Cplg Plug, 3/8" Tube Id, 1/4" Coupler, Shut-Off Valve
In stock at $10.77 Each
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,165 Posts
rkirker said:
Here is some pics of mine from a few weeks ago.
Used a pair of locking pliers with some paint stirs taped to them as not to mark the fuel lines so I did not have to remove the tank.
I ordered the folowing parts from www.mcmaster.com.
It took about an hour and a half from start to ride.
They have about 400 miles on them no problems

5478K81
Hi Pressure Chrome-Pltd Brass Quick-Conn Cplg Socket, 3/8" Tube Id, 1/4" Coupler, Shut-Off Valve
In stock at $17.50 Each
Each

5478K121
Hi Pressure Chrome-Pltd Brass Quick-Conn Cplg Plug, 3/8" Tube Id, 1/4" Coupler, Shut-Off Valve
In stock at $10.77 Each
I am surprised you were able to get 3/8" barbed fittings into the 5/16" (8MM) hose with no problems. Usually fuel injection rated hose is too stiff to allow that without undue stretching of the fiber reinforcement of the hose.

Good to know you got them on easily.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,180 Posts
rkirker said:
Here is some pics of mine from a few weeks ago.
Used a pair of locking pliers with some paint stirs taped to them as not to mark the fuel lines so I did not have to remove the tank.
I ordered the folowing parts from www.mcmaster.com.
It took about an hour and a half from start to ride.
They have about 400 miles on them no problems

5478K81
Hi Pressure Chrome-Pltd Brass Quick-Conn Cplg Socket, 3/8" Tube Id, 1/4" Coupler, Shut-Off Valve
In stock at $17.50 Each
Each

5478K121
Hi Pressure Chrome-Pltd Brass Quick-Conn Cplg Plug, 3/8" Tube Id, 1/4" Coupler, Shut-Off Valve
In stock at $10.77 Each
Looks good but how did the 3/8 fitting work out with the 5/16 tubing? Am I correct that the lines ar 5/16" OD?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,208 Posts
SmokinJoe said:
Looks good but how did the 3/8 fitting work out with the 5/16 tubing? Am I correct that the lines ar 5/16" OD?
That's what I thought too Joe, so I had to go look,
he's right, they're 3/8
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,208 Posts
SmokinJoe[QUOTE said:
][Morley]....Today I changed the transmission oil, rear drive oil (anyone else hate the smell of gear oil?)....
I love the smell! But I also love the smell of unburned gasoline, 2 stroke exhaust etc.! :eek: :)
I do hate the smell of fuel oil on my BODY!:eek:[/QUOTE]
I have friend who's a marine mechanic, I've helped him on a few projects,
mentioned to him how I hated the smell of Diesel,
his reply: "that's the smell of money"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,180 Posts
SilverBuffalo said:
That's what I thought too Joe, so I had to go look,
he's right, they're 3/8
I'll be damned! That opens up all sort of available possibilities! I've got TONS of marine stuff 3/8".

Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
439 Posts
Sliped right in

dshealey said:
I am surprised you were able to get 3/8" barbed fittings into the 5/16" (8MM) hose with no problems. Usually fuel injection rated hose is too stiff to allow that without undue stretching of the fiber reinforcement of the hose.

Good to know you got them on easily.
I read somewhere else that they were 3/8. So I had order them and before I did them all I took off one to the injector rial first and eyeballed it and it looked the same. So I continued with the rest and the new ones slipped right in like butta :bmw:

Hope I did ok I try not to make things worse (I said Hope :eek: )
Do you think I am going to have a problem with the hose splitting ?
It did not seam as though I had to monkey with the fuel lines to get them in there.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top