BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
or: How to keep your dealer's in business.

Bought the '10 1300 GT June 12. To date, it has experienced two failures of the cruise control switch. Presently, it is in the shop until the 19th for it's second cc switch in less than two months. Pretty good huh?

I know that it is not nearly as bad as having cam failure, rear drive failure, or many of the other plagues we read about here, and certainly not even on the radar screen of some of you after the experiences you've had with your bikes, but it is still frustrating just the same mostly because the BMW switch gear used to be so very reliable. To date, on my other two BMWs, I've got 183,000 miles on the RT/LT and the only switch issue I've had was the clutch switch on the LT needing adjusting so my cruise would stay engaged.

I guess that in their haste to quash the criticism of the "moto-journalists" in the magazines BMW decided to not only change their reliable switch gear but to let the lowest bidder also be in charge of quality control.

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
If it aint broke, have that genius engineering graduate kid reengineer it.

When we have shipped 1000 units ask him if he did a functional check in rain/sleet/snow/bug entrails... to ensure it will work and keep working.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I guess I was a minority, but I didn't mind the separated left/right signal controls - probably because when I was riding Japanese bikes -- I didn't use them!! :histerica

·
Registered
89 Posts
pushin9s said:
or: How to keep your dealer's in business.

Bought the '10 1300 GT June 12. To date, it has experienced two failures of the cruise control switch. Presently, it is in the shop until the 19th for it's second cc switch in less than two months. Pretty good huh?

I know that it is not nearly as bad as having cam failure, rear drive failure, or many of the other plagues we read about here, and certainly not even on the radar screen of some of you after the experiences you've had with your bikes, but it is still frustrating just the same mostly because the BMW switch gear used to be so very reliable. To date, on my other two BMWs, I've got 183,000 miles on the RT/LT and the only switch issue I've had was the clutch switch on the LT needing adjusting so my cruise would stay engaged.

I guess that in their haste to quash the criticism of the "moto-journalists" in the magazines BMW decided to not only change their reliable switch gear but to let the lowest bidder also be in charge of quality control.
Welcome to the wonderful world of the new BMW. I would have thought the teething issues of the '09 K1300GT would have been resolved by 2010 (and hopefully they are other than the switchgear issue). I went from a '99 R1100RT to the '09 KGT and was amazed, too, at how trouble free the old RT was compared to the new bike. In 50,000 miles only had a rear brake line leak and that was an easy fix. In the first 3,000 miles the K1300GT seemed to be in the shop more than not and hitting myself in the head with a 2X4 would have been less painful than dealing with BMWNA. Hopefully they fixed the valve train issues inherent in the K1200GT but traded crappy switchgear and stalling problems in return.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts