BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading many posts on this site and lurking to gain the
confidence to tackle some projects on the bike.

I just completed: Spiegel SS brake line upgrade,
Throttle cable upgrade
Oxygen sensor replacement
Air filter
Fuel Filter
Coolant
Canisterectomy
Spark plugs.
Gas Tank SS quick disconnects.

I could not have done this work without the information on this site.

Took the bike for a spin yesterday after a long winter here in Minnesota.

After all this work I am still only getting 34mpg gas mileage.

Are there any tech sessions comming up in Minnesota?

Does anyone here in Minnesota have a GS-911 diagnostic tool?

Thankyou to everyone

I

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
Todd reset the TPS. Pull the bottom fuse on the throttle side fuse box. leave it out for 30 minutes then reinstall.
Turn on ignition but DO NOT start bike.
turn throttle to full open the back to stop 2 times.
Turn ignition off.
Turn ignition back on & start the bike.
This will reset the TPS and the computer
You should now see an increase in fuel mileage as you ride it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I took a trip to NC last Sept. My gas mileage in MN is always between 35-42mpg, the farther I got away from MN the better my mileage was. I ended up getting almost 50mpg down south and on the way back to Mn my mileage starting dropping again, back down to around 38mpg. I think the Midwest gas just sucks! Too much ethanol? The roads down there are unbelievable! My hats off to the tax payer's in Tenn. and NC the quality of roads are first class! We may have 10,000 lakes here, but we have just as many pot holes to match..... :)

·
Registered
276 Posts
donn said:
I took a trip to NC last Sept. My gas mileage in MN is always between 35-42mpg, the farther I got away from MN the better my mileage was. I ended up getting almost 50mpg down south and on the way back to Mn my mileage starting dropping again, back down to around 38mpg. I think the Midwest gas just sucks! Too much ethanol? The roads down there are unbelievable! My hats off to the tax payer's in Tenn. and NC the quality of roads are first class! We may have 10,000 lakes here, but we have just as many pot holes to match..... :)
It could be temperature related also. I know I get terrible mileage when it's cool outside (the cutoff seems to be around 60 degrees), and the warmer it gets, the better the mileage gets. Heading south = warmer temps, but you do have a point about the "winter blend" fuel having an effect too.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Now it is fixed.

I ended up having to take it in to the dealer anyway. There was another fuel related problem that masked itself as a O2 sensor.

The fuel pressure is supposed to be about 40psi. My bike was only running about 10psi, and this set a O2 code in the computer.

Turns out the fuel pump assembly located in the fuel tank had a split hose and the leak (in the fuel tank) would not allow the fuel pump to build the 40psi fuel pressure.

It did cost me $240 to get it fixed, but I would never have found the split fuel line in the fuel tank. I had stripped the tupperware off the bike to save a few bucks on the mechanics labor cost. I figure I saved about 3-4 hours of shop time.

I do think the bad fuel/air mixture problem did cause the computer to richen up the mixture and may have overheated or damaged the O2 sensor.

I hope this helps your situation. My fuel mileage has gone back up to 45mpg.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts