BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My starter is stuck in after my LT has been started. What to do,and if this has been going on unoticed could this be my flat battery problem and what possible damage could have been done. Thanks fellas

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
If I understand your problem, it sounds like the starter sprag clutch/gear are sticking. I don't know how to link another thread, but if you search for "starter spins but won't engage", it's explained nicely there.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,110 Posts
If your starter relay is keeping the starter running all the time you can expect damage to wires from melting like in this example I repaired in Tennessee a few years back. had to strip back the covering to pull all of them apart. But once they were separated and tapedd up she ran just fine. The symptom was "everything was on when the key was off".

Attachments

·
Registered
719 Posts
99ltboy said:
My starter is stuck in after my LT has been started. What to do,and if this has been going on unoticed could this be my flat battery problem and what possible damage could have been done. Thanks fellas
disconnect the battery,,,,hold down the start button,,,reattach the battery cable,starter relay should disengage

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,170 Posts
lenny said:
disconnect the battery,,,,hold down the start button,,,reattach the battery cable,starter relay should disengage
Then be sure to always have a fully charged battery as this seems to happens when you have low voltage in it... A known issue with 99 and early 2000 models.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts