BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
I want to thank everyone who has served, is serving and gave their life for our Country.
Enjoy Our Freedom and Thank a VET.
Have a Safe and Great Holiday Weekend.
Well...as a Vet, I accept your thanks. For me, it is a somber celebration as I'm always a bit conflicted with the term holiday coupled with the seriousness of the occasion. I served in Nam 1967-68. Kinda slipped back home, unannounced, and for the most part, never looked back for years. I broke family tradition and found a way to enroll in college, never joined any pity parties, married up, and not until I retired did I ever connect my development of diabetes with agent orange until I finally signed up for VA medical care.

The VA psychologist tried to get me to claim PTSD, but I told him if I had that, it was because of my Dad and two older brothers, not the war. I did tell him that it was my older brothers (RIP) who saved my life during the war. "HOW SO?" He asked...I answered..."Because the enemy couldn't find anywhere to apply new scars!":smile:

·
Premium Member
2,946 Posts
Tiger,
Thank you for your active service. I spent eight years in the active reserves but was never deployed during the Viet Nam War.
However, I have a cousin a couple of years older that served as an Army Ranger and was deployed in Viet Nam and on raids into Cambodia.

Upon returning after recovering from wounds, he suffered from SEVERE PTSD. After over 10 years of bouncing around in the "VA System" with drugs and counseling, he finally found a program in NY state VA facility which included physical conditioning, group counseling and NO Meds. He is much better now but sends daily videos, photos of war related topics to a family & friends list since the Army was his his only activity after High School. BTW, he is on full disability but functions well now in Florida and has many vet friends.

Additionally, my son-in law is active army (Legal Aid/Pentagon) who had two tours in Afghanistan and witnessed the most horrific crimes. He has had continuous counseling and even neuro shock treatment (similar to a tens unit) to the base of his spinal cord. Fortunately he is recovering but one can not "un-see" horror and carnage committed by animals.

Again thank you for your service.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts