BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thank you for this site. I have only had my bike for a week now. Thanks to this site (I have spent hours and hours reading posts) I am so much more confident in my riding. I pull up to a stop light or stop sign, keep my head up and stop with confidence. No wobbling. My slow speed riding is 1000 times better. I can turn slow now with confidence. :)

I also enjoy the polls and the humor.

My first real attempt at mechanical work of any kind was to adjust my shifter up a bit. I took the panel off and other stuff started coming loose. I could see that it wouldn't be as easy it was on my old dirt bike!! :( I put the plate back on thinking oh well I'll just get by until the 12k service and have the dealer do it. That night I searched for older posts regarding this kind of adjustment and found lots of info. I am going to try adjusting it.

This may seem silly to you, what an easy job :histerica But for me it is very complicated. I have never done any kind of mechanical work. Thanks to you and this site I'm sure I can tackle it. :dance:

From my first post I have been amazed at the willingness to help us new guys. I even had a guy offer to drive 3hrs to help me with service. I couldn't believe it!! You seem to be genuinely interested in helping others learn and doing what you can to maximize their riding experience.

Thanks again,

David

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
David
There is a phrase coined by one of our members that sums it up very well.

"Cause that's what we do"
I visit a lot of motorcycle forums but this site is one of a very few of them that the members will go out of there way to help anyone.
As for the shift linkage it is really not that hard to adjust . Take your time & you can do it.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
David,

Welcome.
And thanks for taking the time to read. Lots of info deep in old messages in here. Occasionally, someone new finds the site and posts an oft repeated query without doing much research. They get lots of helpful replies too, but it is refreshing to know you read.

Yeah, we are fortunate to have this site, built by a number of folks who have dedicated lots of time and effort to it.

There is lots of enthusiasm for this bike. An offer from someone to ride a few hours and help is really just an excuse for them to go for a ride and share in the enthusiasm. :histerica

Welcome, and enjoy the ride.

dthogey said:
Thank you for this site. I have only had my bike for a week now. Thanks to this site (I have spent hours and hours reading posts) I am so much more confident in my riding. I pull up to a stop light or stop sign, keep my head up and stop with confidence. No wobbling. My slow speed riding is 1000 times better. I can turn slow now with confidence. :)

I also enjoy the polls and the humor.

My first real attempt at mechanical work of any kind was to adjust my shifter up a bit. I took the panel off and other stuff started coming loose. I could see that it wouldn't be as easy it was on my old dirt bike!! :( I put the plate back on thinking oh well I'll just get by until the 12k service and have the dealer do it. That night I searched for older posts regarding this kind of adjustment and found lots of info. I am going to try adjusting it.

This may seem silly to you, what an easy job :histerica But for me it is very complicated. I have never done any kind of mechanical work. Thanks to you and this site I'm sure I can tackle it. :dance:

From my first post I have been amazed at the willingness to help us new guys. I even had a guy offer to drive 3hrs to help me with service. I couldn't believe it!! You seem to be genuinely interested in helping others learn and doing what you can to maximize their riding experience.

Thanks again,

David

·
Registered
418 Posts
dthogey said:
My slow speed riding is 1000 times better. I can turn slow now with confidence. :)
With practice, it's possible to execute a 180 degree turn on a two-lane road.
Lock-to-lock on the handlebars,
turn your body and your head in the direction of travel,
look at where you want to go,
throttle-clutch (and brake on non-integrated ABS systems),
feet on the footpegs, lean into the turn.
Practice in a large parking lot using the parallel lane parking lines.
Start with what you're comfortable with,
then decrease the number of lines it takes to execute the 180-degree turn.
Just straighten up before you try to stop.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Welcome aboard David. I too find this site very rewarding, especially in the wrenching sector. Glad you are enjoying your new ride. :bmw:

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
David, you echo what I know, a lot of us feel. The knowledge of this forum has probably made the difference for me as to whether or not I kept the bike. If it wasn't for this site, I would not get 1/2 of the riding pleasure I get and would not be able to do much of the service that I take for granted. The members are extremely helpful and a tremendous source of knowledge.

BMW, in my opinion, could greatly increase sales and customer satisfaction if they supported the site and promoted it to all customers.

It's a shame that more of those who anonymous get so much from this forum don't $$$ support it.

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I did it!!! Thanks to this site I was able to adjust my shift lever up. It was a PAIN but I was able to get it done. I had already decided to contribute to this site and this just assures me that my money is well spent! :toast:

·
Registered
159 Posts
I'm a newbie too and I must agree with David. The info on this site is outstanding. Advice and technical data are just a few keystrokes away.
Last night I replaced my rear brake pads and changed the F.D. fluid. Thanks to the posts that I've read here, I didn't freak when I saw the small hump of black material on the magnet!
I don't want to hijack the thread but there are great people on this site too!
My wife and I just got home from a ride in support of the M.S. Society, organized and run by none other than Garry Kramer. (See the AmazingRideforMS thread in the Canada forum) I have only met him twice, but I like to think that he is a shining example of the type of people who inhabit this forum.
Thank you Garry, and thank you to all who have answered my (sometimes dumb), newbie questions.

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Same sentiments as all others. No doubt, having the confidence that I'm driving and riding it right, and knowing where to go if there are questions, makes an overwhelming difference. It's funny. I actually think this bike is easier to drive than my other one, even at slow speed. Good tips have been a factor to go with good design.

·
Cat Herder
5,852 Posts
Welcome aboard folks and thanks for throwing a few bones our direction. Keeping the lights on here costs a lot of money and we appreciate every bit of help we can get.

But this site would be nothing without the help and tireless work of our moderators and members helping to shape it into what it today.

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I too have benefitted from this site as my questions have been answered by many of these nice people in this BMW community. I'm new the the LT and getting help from others on here makes it easier to understand and work on this bike.
Thank you all for making this site worth the money to join.
Gary D :bmw:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts