BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Prelude
I first starting Europe in 2005 on a Honda Blackbird with a map on my tank bag. I quite quickly decided that if I wanted to live, a Sat Nav was needed, reading a map at 80mph is not recommended. So at the Birmingham motorcycle show of 2006 I became the proud owner of a Garmin Zumo. Over the years I have had the BMW Nav IV, V and VI and taught myself Mapsource and Basecamp.

I have also got used to the features of the Garmin Sat Nav's these include warnings for "Safety Cameras", Lane management controls and recently traffic re-routing.

Mostly, these have been invaluable, whilst the constant pinging of the "Safety Camera" warnings in the UK have been irritating, I am pretty sure they are a reason I kept a clean licence. Navigating around cities such as Paris became relatively simple with visual lane management and re-routing due to traffic has been a god send.

So now I have a 21 RT and the BMW App so what in fact do I have?

First, the bad news:

1. Safety camera warnings are gone, the Europeans did not like this and they have got their wish.
1. Traffic re-routing also looks to be lost, others can confirm this but the BMW map shows traffic, but I see no automatic re-routing. I do see a manual option to choose and alternative route, but we need feedback from others who have traffic density.

I think lane management is still there but its not as simple as the Garmin devices and the next turn display is wanting for example:

This is the best way to setup the display for route guidance on the right screen there are three panels, the bottom one shows distance and time to complete route, the middle section shows the next turn and the top shows the following turn. If you are approaching a roundabout the middle panel will tell you which exit you need e.g. 3rd exit, but as we know the 3rd exit could be left, right or straight on depending on the number of exits on the roundabout, so you can be unsure as to what lane to be in, thankfully the map display zooms in to give you an idea of what direction the third exit is at so you can have a decent shot at getting into the right lane.

Now a chat about the App, basically it is the old Sat Nav. You can plot a route on it, but, you will soon run out of patience. For example, the only POI you can plot is for Fuel.

If you want POI's you have to sit on the bike. I say that again, you can sit on the bike, go to Navigation and you will find POI's so you can find fuel, hotels, parking etc. and add them to your route.

Ok moving on, I can still use Basecamp but I know the maps will become out of date so I bought MyRouteApp and I would highly recommend it. I bought the Gold version and I have an online App and an App for my phone (which is also online).

It is a simple process to plot a route on my laptop and when I am finished I load up the App on my phone and the route is already there, I can download it and when I open it, the BMW App automatically loads it ready for import. So no more fiddling with cables and I can email or text the route to my mates.

When you import a route select the waypoints not the track. With waypoints the BMW App will re-calculate the route if you go past a turn off. With the track import it will turn you around and not re-calculate (to be confirmed and updated if anyone finds different).

When you import a route, you can't change it, the App does not show waypoints.

On the left is a route plotted in MyRouteApp (as displayed on the phone App), it has 8 waypoints.
On the right is the route in the BMW App, no waypoints and you cannot add any, however when sitting on the bike you can add a POI e.g. a fuel stop (work it out)

My current setup.

My wife just got a new phone, she is not quite sure why she got it as its not her birthday and its not Christmas but I guess she has worked it out that my RT has inherited her old phone. So yes the bike has a phone or maybe its own dedicated Sat Nav (more or less like my old Sat Nav;s) and I have to say I like the setup. I can leave the RT phone on the bike when I grab fuel or coffee and it is a backup for my main phone. I can also track the phone with Find my mobile in case the bike is stolen.

My main phone is a Samsung Galaxy 10 and the bike phone is also a Galaxy 10. When I setup the RT phone I downloaded the maps to the internal memory. If I load the maps on the BMW App I get the following results:

Main phone with maps loaded on SD card, maps took 1 minute 10 seconds to display on the phone.
RT phone with maps on internal memory, maps load instantly.

So load your maps on internal memory.

To be continued by hopefully me and others as we head down the road of discovery..................................................

·
Registered
8 Posts
Problem cropped up today while on a 250 mile lunch ride using connected app with iPhone 12 Pro in cubby. It seems that for some reason the iPhone randomly loses WiFi connection with TFT which makes the map freeze and therefore no navigation available until some minutes later when it reconnects and resumes navigating. This happened many times today. I believe this issue has been mentioned before. Any solutions yet?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't know anything about iPhone. I had to go looking for the "switch off WiFi when not in a normal WiFi area" on my Galaxy 10.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I'm really curious about what is being logged by the Connected App on one of your rides. I realize yours might show information you don't want to share but if not would you be able to export a GPX and post it? I'm wondering if the GPX contains all the information that the app captures. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,405 Posts
Thanks David, that was most useful information! I also have an old phone, and my question to you is if the dedicated phone to the RT needs to have phone service?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm really curious about what is being logged by the Connected App on one of your rides. I realize yours might show information you don't want to share but if not would you be able to export a GPX and post it? I'm wondering if the GPX contains all the information that the app captures. Thanks.
Yes you can delete speed data before exporting.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think the GPX file will only hold the routing information, I don't think it will contain anything else.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks David, that was most useful information! I also have an old phone, and my question to you is if the dedicated phone to the RT needs to have phone service?
Don't think so, it uses wireless for the maps and Bluetooth for the connected App.

·
Registered
380 Posts
So can you connect two phones to the TFT then, because if using a spare phone for navigation and there is no phone service, what happens if someone phones you or you make a call, which phone do you use, the nav one or your normal one?

·
Premium Member
5,405 Posts
So can you connect two phones to the TFT then, because if using a spare phone for navigation and there is no phone service, what happens if someone phones you or you make a call, which phone do you use, the nav one or your normal one?
Good point! OTOH, I also use SENA SRL, and therefore can connect the "main" phone to SRL as well as SRL to bike.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Regarding the OP's "Base Camp maps will go out of date" concern, that shouldn't be an issue. If you have a Nav or other Garmin GPS with lifetime maps, hang on to it. When you update the unit (even if you never use it for navigation) Garmin Express has an option to install maps on the computer you use to run Base Camp at the same time you update the GPS. The maps are common to all Garmin products (Zumo, Nuvi, Desl, RV, ...) so you won't have to worry for some time.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I do the same with my Packtalk and Nav VI. Have my phone connected to my helmet and my Nav and helmet to the Nav. That is so my phone works when riding different bikes without my Nav. But if you have a spare phone connected to the tft for Nav and your main phone connected to your helmet, I can see you could control the phone from the headset and receive calls. But you won’t have phone functionality on the tftf ie phone book etc unless the tft allows two phone connection. But could be misunderstanding as I don’t have a 21 bike yet

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I do the same with my Packtalk and Nav VI. Have my phone connected to my helmet and my Nav and helmet to the Nav. That is so my phone works when riding different bikes without my Nav. But if you have a spare phone connected to the tft for Nav and your main phone connected to your helmet, I can see you could control the phone from the headset and receive calls. But you won’t have phone functionality on the tftf ie phone book etc unless the tft allows two phone connection. But could be misunderstanding as I don’t have a 21 bike yet
TFT only allows one connection at a time for phone.

·
Premium Member
5,405 Posts
That's what you would "sacrifice"! Personally, I don't answer phone calls while on the bike, and so that's not even a consideration. As for the extra phone, it's my old one that I had just recently updated. The battery on it is going (not holding charge), but with constant charging, it should be good enough to play with! :)

I supposed that if you have an iPod, you could use that too. I do have one that is loaded with my music, and I use it mainly to listen to audiobook. I am not an IOS fan, and so I am going to leave that one alone.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Don't think an IPod will work for music, the USB appears to be for charging only, I tried.

I had 3 K16's and plugged music into the USB on it. No issues, but now its all improved and better (sarcasm).

·
Premium Member
5,405 Posts
Don't think an IPod will work for music, the USB appears to be for charging only, I tried.

I had 3 K16's and plugged music into the USB on it. No issues, but now its all improved and better (sarcasm).
No, I mean using an iPod in place of the phone. You will most likely have music as well then, since an iPod isn't any less than an iPhone, without the phone service, where it counts!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No, I mean using an iPod in place of the phone. You will most likely have music as well then, since an iPod isn't any less than an iPhone, without the phone service, where it counts!
Don't know much about iPod's apart from what I had years ago for music. To connect to the TFT you will need to download the BMW Connected App and run it then Bluetooth it to the TFT. Maps have to be downloaded as well, these work best on internal memory. Then Wifi has to be run on the device to send the maps to the TFT.

So there are two connections to the TFT, bluetooth and Wifi.

To make it more confusing the TFT does not show up on your "Phone" as a network connection. Which is why my Wifi kept switching itself off, as far as it was concerned it wasn't connected to anything.

BMW are going to clear up everything on the 15th April, see my other thread. Hope everyone chimes in with the same types of questions.

·
Premium Member
5,405 Posts
Don't know much about iPod's apart from what I had years ago for music. To connect to the TFT you will need to download the BMW Connected App and run it then Bluetooth it to the TFT. Maps have to be downloaded as well, these work best on internal memory. Then Wifi has to be run on the device to send the maps to the TFT.

So there are two connections to the TFT, bluetooth and Wifi.

To make it more confusing the TFT does not show up on your "Phone" as a network connection. Which is why my Wifi kept switching itself off, as far as it was concerned it wasn't connected to anything.

BMW are going to clear up everything on the 15th April, see my other thread. Hope everyone chimes in with the same types of questions.
Check on all counts for the iPod! As I said, it is pretty much the iPhone (although smaller in size) without the phone service. I may play with it when I do finally get my new RT, just to see if I will have better functionality for music!

·
Registered
111 Posts
This thread makes me very happy that I have my 2019 with the "old-school" gauge cluster and separate GPS. The RT GPS or "SAT-NAV" is your typical OEM one with extremely limited features and one that makes you dependent on the manufacturer for updates. And in most cases, you have to pay for those. I've no clue if this is the case for the RT. Also, no traffic integration. I won't live without it as it has saved me countless hours on the road. When we got our 2020 Mazda CX-5, we opted to not get the factory GPS. Why? Because it has Android Auto and Apple Car play. Our phones and Android Auto are the car's GPS. So MUCH EASIER than the OEM GPS. Honda has figured this out.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Went out for another play today, using 2 routes planned on BaseCamp. The first route out was quite short with only a couple of waypoints, the second route home was longer with more points.
The phone connects to the bike nice and quickly (Bluetooth part?) but takes longer before the maps connect. I have the maps and routes saved to an SD card rather than the phone memory because of space, so that may be a reason, next time I'll try from the phone.
The App displayed the route out correctly all the time with timely indications to route changes. However, I couldn't hear the voice instructions from Mrs Woman again although I thought I had solved that. Arrived at destination without issue. One thing I will try next time is although the phone Bluetooth automatically selects the bike and connects, when I was trying things I changed the connection to my headset, then back again. I think that is when it started working. I have the phone connected to the TFT for the App, don't actually use the phone when riding, and the Cardo connected to the TFT for the rider helmet connection.

The route back displayed correctly again for most of the route, and, I could hear Mrs Woman although I don't think I changed anything (apart from above)? Everything was OK until after about 45 mins the map mode started dropping put for about 10 seconds and then coming back. Interestingly, the route/turn markers moved to centre screen from the right along with ranges so I was able to follow them until map mode rebooted. Another however I'm afraid, after about an hour or so, map mode failed again and didn't reappear with the icon flashing away as if trying to reconnect. When I was able to stop I went into the TFT menu and re selected map mode and it restarted.

Two thirds of the way back Mrs Woman tried to turn me around at 3 roundabouts which was strange, as I have used the route before on my sat nav and know it works. Tried to delete waypoint but that option wasn't available, probably because it wasn't plotted on the phone App. After 3 roundabouts she gave up and picked up the correct route until the map mode failed as above. Unfortunately although I got the route arrows etc I don't know if she was still with me as there weren't any turns on the rest of the route. Didn't think to try the repeat last instruction as I was trying everything else.

So, The App still isn't without some issues.

Some other things I tried was using the phone connected to the power bank in the top box which seemed to work perfectly and kept the phone charged. The issues above were when the phone was in the left bike pocket.

Turned the heated grips on using button 2 to get to the grip menu, and then used button 4 to take me straight back to the map. Nice and easy. Don't have anything connected to the other two buttons.

Still learning and trying ......

Steve P

1 - 20 of 30 Posts