BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

81 - 100 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Is it just me or does all this having to "connect to mobile" to use a bike all seem a bit too complicated?
Not just you but I expect BMW to complicate things - it's what they do; most times for the better.

That said, the screen and in particular experience with both TomTom and Garmin GPS systems led me to search for a left over 2020...

Tom

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Is it just me or does all this having to "connect to mobile" to use a bike all seem a bit too complicated?

In the old days RTs had; a radio/CD/MP3 with actual buttons, a heated grip switch, and all the info you needed right there in the dash area. :rolleyes: Now you have to wade through a torturous menus just to see the range or activate your heated grips.

I want my bike to be a bike not part of some sort of jigsaw kit that needs all of the parts to work!! Getting more comfortable at not having bought my RT 4 months later (but would still like the adaptive cruise and "moving" LED headliights :().
To be honest, you can use the bike without a phone and you have a button for the heated grips/seat, button 2. But even in plain old "Bike Mode" you don't have a temperature gauge and the odometer, fuel gauge. range etc. on a user def button is plain stupid.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have always used the Honda Trip Planner and was able to export a GPX file. Will I still be able to do this, or is there a better "trip planner" to use?

·
Registered
21 Posts
New to the forum and have enjoyed reading up on some great information. I am currently riding a 2014 RT, but Wednesday am picking up the 2021 Sport RT. It is a warehouse one so no radio, which is not a big issue since I never used it, and no TPMS. That one was almost a deal breaker, but was informed that I could add them later. It does include the comfort and dynamic packages, with the standard windshield. There are a couple of things that I have read that dis-appoints me (like the non-programmable programmable function buttons), but overall I am looking forward to the new one. I am guessing that I will figure out what are the important things I need to display and that will be fine. I do hope that BMW keeps updating the app with improvements as they discover more issues.

Once I have put some miles on it, I will try and give some thoughts. Weather is starting to get better out here in the great Pacific Northwest!

Again, thanks for all the great information and I hope I can add some value to the discussion.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
I have always used the Honda Trip Planner and was able to export a GPX file. Will I still be able to do this, or is there a better "trip planner" to use?
You should be able to continue to use it. I have moved to MyRouteApp, it is excellent. For example, I can create my route on my laptop, then open MyRoteApp on my phone, the route I have created is waiting for me. I can then save it and when I click open the BMW App will automatically import it.

·
Registered
193 Posts
The Harley Davidson trip is pretty well regarded and also free, along with Garmin BaseCamp if you already have a Garmin GPS then you should get any map updates for free. MyRouteApp requires a subscription for any of the better features.

I use BaseCamp with my BMW Nav 6 right now. I also use inRoute - the best iOS routing app IMO, and that can directly export to the BMW Motorrad app for importing.

·
Registered
111 Posts
It is a warehouse one so no radio, which is not a big issue since I never used it, and no TPMS. That one was almost a deal breaker, but was informed that I could add them later.
I would not buy unless the dealer put it in writing what the cost is to "add them later". In my experience, many dealers will not hesitate to say this just to get the sale. My local dealer has been honest. If you get a 2021 RT without the radio, it cannot be added later. Maybe if it has the radio prep kit. If it doesn't forget it. And from I've read, TPMS is not easily added after the fact. I sure hope that's not the case for you.

·
Registered
193 Posts
If I was to get one, it would need to have everything - radio, TPMS, SiriusXM (if that’s an option) and all the electronic stuff. The way things look, that won’t be possible for some time yet.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #89 (Edited)
This is coming up on the 15th April, good opportunity to add some questions. I have mine below, can anyone think of anything else?

I have a new R1250RT with the TFT display. A few questions: Why is the odometer, Fuel Gauge, Range, TPMS and various other critical readings under a single user defined area? Depending on the screen setup the gear change indicator moves to different locations, why? Why is there no temperature gauge? When the screen is in Map display i.e. the map in the main window there is no Rev Counter. why? When I import a GPX file to the Connected App, there are no waypoints and no method to adjust the route e.g. Add a POI.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Following

·
Premium Member
5,409 Posts
If I was to get one, it would need to have everything - radio, TPMS, SiriusXM (if that’s an option) and all the electronic stuff. The way things look, that won’t be possible for some time yet.
Exactly! At this time though, I will be quite happy to get one (already ordered) with everything and the radio-prep. The shame of it all is that there was one that fits exactly what I had originally ordered, with radio and all, in the BMW Canadian warehouse!

·
Registered
18 Posts
This is coming up on the 15th April, good opportunity to add some questions. I have mine below, can anyone think of anything else?

I have a new R1250RT with the TFT display. A few questions: Why is the odometer, Fuel Gauge, Range, TPMS and various other critical readings under a single user defined area? Depending on the screen setup the gear change indicator moves to different locations, why? Why is there no temperature gauge? When the screen is in Map display i.e. the map in the main window there is no Rev Counter. why? When I import a GPX file to the Connected App, there are no waypoints and no method to adjust the route e.g. Add a POI.
When you say "Why is there no temperature gauge?" Are you talking engine as outside temp is in my bottom left corner.

·
Registered
29 Posts
. The shame of it all is that there was one that fits exactly what I had originally ordered, with radio and all, in the BMW Canadian warehouse!
That one is MINE...ALL MINE...HAHAHAHAHAHAH...well..I can at least dream??

·
Registered
193 Posts
Exactly! At this time though, I will be quite happy to get one (already ordered) with everything and the radio-prep. The shame of it all is that there was one that fits exactly what I had originally ordered, with radio and all, in the BMW Canadian warehouse!
Did the one with the radio include SiriusXM?
Not sure if Canada has satellite radio though.

·
Registered
29 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,409 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,409 Posts
Did the one with the radio include SiriusXM?
Not sure if Canada has satellite radio though.
I believe that is standard with the radio option. I don't use that, and so I had not paid that much attentions.

·
Registered
105 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Well, it had gone to somebody, and I would rather that it had gone to somebody that I/we all know!!! :)

Now, since we are talking about TPMS now, I just looked at the VIN decoded spec for that bike, and it does NOT have TPMS! Unless I am missing something!! BMW K52 R 12 2020 Racing blue met. - - WB10L0306M6D96750
There is a discussion of the lack of TPMS in another thread....check out the 2021 R1250RT under RT series. Sorry, new here and don't know how to post link yet.

81 - 100 of 129 Posts