BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

61 - 80 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Congrats on the new bike. Those comms units are BMW branded Sena SMH10r models and cost $199 each. You will not be able to talk with other Sena users unless they have a BMW branded one. You and your passenger will be able to speak with each other assuming they are using the other SMH10r. Good news is the Wonderwheel will control the volume on the Rider's headset with the BMW branded Sena.
BMW also sells a bike to bike module for the BMW Fit For All communicators, so that might work for other non-BMW headset users. But not 100% on that, as I haven’t even seen what they look like.

·
Registered
620 Posts
BMW also sells a bike to bike module for the BMW Fit For All communicators, so that might work for other non-BMW headset users. But not 100% on that, as I haven’t even seen what they look like.
I've seen a marketing thing for it with little information. Not sure if it ever made it to production. As far as I know my dealer never received one. If it did become available what a pain in the ass. A separate expense for bike to bike communication and another battery to keep charged or hard wire if that's an option.

Bike to bike is really more of a hassle than it's worth IMHO. If you need to get ahold of a riding buddy for a gas stop or somebody lagged behind you can just call them. If there is no cell coverage there likely is no gas station. Plus our riding buddy that always lags behind has a flip phone and thinks Bluetooth is a dental problem :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
620 Posts
@hammick - Do you know if the BMW Fit For All communicators can connect to non-BMW headsets?
No they cannot. Maybe if the Bike to Bike module actually existed. Read my review on ADVrider for all the info. If bike to bike is important the BMW communicator is not for you.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Phone compartment from manual: 6.37 in x 3.07 in x 0.34 in (162 mm x 78 mm x 8.8 mm). Hook latch and release in there that holds the phone are what determines size range to the left.
Is this the maximum size of phone that will fit, or is that just the compartment size?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Is this the maximum size of phone that will fit, or is that just the compartment size?
Phone size to fit. Compartment size is a little bigger, My Galaxy Note 20 Ultra (6.49" x 3.04" x 0.32") fits after cutting off the items above but I have to take protective case off.

Reactions: Rambler358

·
Registered
29 Posts
Sorry to kinda hijack the thread...which comunications system will work the best with this bike...me and my passenger... aka - wife.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Well, I just did a review of these, and they got a 1 out of 5 stars!!

·
Registered
29 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
There are a few threads about the 2021 RT, so not really sure where this should go.
Managed to get out today on the bike to get quite a few miles closer to the first service, and have a play with the TFT and Connected App.
I have had 2010, 2012, 2014 and 2017 and, as expected, this bike is very good. Not had a 1250 before, but this pulls like a train from any gear. I really like it.
I ordered a 2021 model before BMW changed the spec, so I honestly didn't buy it for the TFT. In fact, I still wouldn't buy it because of the TFT on its own. I don't mind it, but it is much more complicated to show what most people want, and very easy to get confused, and distracted, when trying to change views and menus on the move. I am not interested in that huge view showing RPM, there are more important things that could be shown. I will have the map showing full screen, even when not navigating as that would be more useful.
However, that brings me to the Connected App! When it works it could be very useful but as I found today, it is very hit and miss. When working and in map mode, it follows a pre-planned route and recalculates quickly when necessary, including telling it to miss via points. It will calculate a new route via the TFT if a destination is in the favourites list or a previous destination.Although the phone connects by Bluetooth faultlessly and stays connected, the App connection kept dropping out. A couple of times I had to stop, take the phone from the pocket and try to get it to reconnect. At one point it would not re-connect so I carried on, only for it to re-connect a few miles later?? Also, although my Cardo is connected, I cannot hear any voice route instructions which is a big issue for me. I have tried various things including the phone volume settings etc and the App voice settings, but still can't get it to work. I don't usually bother with music from the phone, but as an experiment I tried it and that worked.
I will keep experimenting, but at the moment I do not trust the App. I usually do a few tours, including Europe and the UK, every year. At the moment I am very glad that I got the dealer to re-fit my old sat nav mount!

I'll keep trying, but so far the bike is great, the TFT could be a Marmite thing with some loving it and others putting up with it :rolleyes:. The jury is definitely out as far as the Connected App goes.

Just my thoughts, early days.

Steve P

·
Registered
42 Posts
@paynes1 What kind of phone do you have, and did you keep it in the right compartment?
It is a Moto G5.

I don't think there is a right or wrong pocket/compartment on the bike. I don't have the charging compartment, in fact even your jacket pocket is sufficient (or should be). The only difference with not having the built in charging pocket is the charging. The App is very phone battery hungry so I will be getting a power bank once I solve the App connection problem - much cheaper than the £250 compartment option.

·
Premium Member
5,409 Posts
It is a Moto G5.

I don't think there is a right or wrong pocket/compartment on the bike. I don't have the charging compartment, in fact even your jacket pocket is sufficient (or should be). The only difference with not having the built in charging pocket is the charging. The App is very phone battery hungry so I will be getting a power bank once I solve the App connection problem - much cheaper than the £250 compartment option.
;) I suspect that he means right-side!!! Jacket pocket is a good place to put the phone, but if you are on long rides of several hours, you really should have it in the compartment and charging. You do know that there is a USB port in there just for charging, don't you? That for those who have phoneds without wireless charging feature.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi PadG
As I mentioned in one of our other 'chats' I don't have the right-side charging compartment, and I realize that both types of charging are available in it. :)
When I asked in the very early days of the bike being available whether the charging was a standard fit, Motorrad wrongly told me it was standard so I didn't specify it. It was so early, that I had ordered a 2020 spec bike one day, to be told 2 days later that it was not available as there was a 2021 spec on the way...... The configurator changed at least 3 or 4 times after my dealer and I used it to order my bike :(
I should be able to get around the power issue with the power pack..

My main thing at the moment is getting Connected to stay connected (my phone was in the left-side) :rolleyes:
Steve P
EDIT
Just been out in the garage having a play...... Got the voice instructions working - don't know how - but we'll see if it still works when I next go out

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
@paynes1 Know how you feel a Leprechaun fixed mine when I wasn't looking. There must be the BMW fairies in your part of the world.😆💀

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
OK guys another update. Took the bike out yesterday on a known route that I had done many times, I planned it in MyRouteApp and imported it into the BMW App, I think I need to start another thread on Navigation with the pluses and minuses of a dedicated sat nav verses the BMW App and TFT.

Anyway, I stopped for coffee (flask that I brought with me) and when I got back on the bike, the Maps had disappeared, it said there was a WIFI issue.

So I stopped and checked and the WIFI on my phone was switched off, its a Samsung Galaxy S10. I had this problem before and thought I had did it accidently, but this time I was sure I had not touched the WIFI.

Did a bid of digging and research and found this setting, its under Connections then select WIFI and then under the hamburger menu on the top right click Advanced. It was switched on, this setting seems to switch WIFI on and off on my phone.

·
Registered
42 Posts
@paynes1 Know how you feel a Leprechaun fixed mine when I wasn't looking. There must be the BMW fairies in your part of the world.😆💀
Bloomin' Leprechauns!!

Interesting about your wifi issue. One of the warnings that came up yesterday when I lost the App/maps was that there was a wifi error. I had a quick play on the phone and the wifi was working because I changed it to my camera wifi and it saw the camera. The bike wifi had disappeared? My Moto G5 hasn't got those options that you have.
I tried the magic on/off fix with both the phone and the bike but no joy. It reappeared and connected some time down the road.
I've messaged the App people about it and waiting for an answer.

Steve P

·
Registered
R1250RT LE, F800GT, 1960 Land Rover, 2010 Range Rover
174 Posts
Bloomin' Leprechauns!!

Interesting about your wifi issue. One of the warnings that came up yesterday when I lost the App/maps was that there was a wifi error. I had a quick play on the phone and the wifi was working because I changed it to my camera wifi and it saw the camera. The bike wifi had disappeared? My Moto G5 hasn't got those options that you have.
I tried the magic on/off fix with both the phone and the bike but no joy. It reappeared and connected some time down the road.
I've messaged the App people about it and waiting for an answer.

Steve P
Is it just me or does all this having to "connect to mobile" to use a bike all seem a bit too complicated?

In the old days RTs had; a radio/CD/MP3 with actual buttons, a heated grip switch, and all the info you needed right there in the dash area. :rolleyes: Now you have to wade through a torturous menus just to see the range or activate your heated grips.

I want my bike to be a bike not part of some sort of jigsaw kit that needs all of the parts to work!! Getting more comfortable at not having bought my RT 4 months later (but would still like the adaptive cruise and "moving" LED headliights :().

61 - 80 of 129 Posts