BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

221 - 240 of 264 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,460 Posts
Thanks a lot for that summary David! My habits are pretty much the same as yours, and it does sounds like I won't be having any problems either! I will still hold onto my Nav V, for now, though. Just in case.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #223 ·
Were you able to figure out the issue of not getting waypoints from MyRoute into the BMW app?
Nope, email along with sample GPX file sent to BMW, I am awaiting their reply. At the minute it does not bother me, from what I can see you can't modify the route in the BMW App so I do all the modifications I want on my computer and send it to the BMW App.

If I need to change the route e.g. go get fuel, or parking, I can do that on the bike by looking up POI's and telling the Nav to go where I want to go.

·
Registered
228 Posts
MyRoute is the only routing program where I couldn’t get waypoints into the BMW app. I think it’s something that MyRoute is doing differently.

Maybe ask the MyRoute folks what the issue could be?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Done enough miles and more for the first service to be done.

In the main, the TFT and the Connected App/BaseCamp are working as expected, with just a few small tweaks.
The voice instructions still remain a frustrating issue. When they are working they are very good and accurate. The phone and helmet quickly connect to the bike/TFT. The loading of the maps into map mode still take quite a while whether loading direct from the phone or the SD card.
Although the phone shows as connected on the TFT and in the phone settings, the voice instructions via Bluetooth don't work unless I disconnect the bike/phone Bluetooth and reconnect in the phone.settings. Once this is done the voice instructions are loud and clear. However, by the time I have to disconnect/reconnect the App has connected so I have to come out of that to reconnect the Bluetooth and wait for the App to load again - frustrating!
The problem is, having got it all to work, when I stop for fuel etc although the phone and helmet remain switched on, and show on the TFT when the ignition is switched on, the voice/Bluetooth doesn't work and I have to go through the whole process again - not possible when sat on a garage forecourt next to a fuel pump.
I have asked the App owners for their suggestions, but unlike with other queries, they have failed to respond this time......
I have done enough tests/trials now to know that the issue is down to the Bluetooth connection(s) for me to get the voice instructions. The good old Garmin 660 will still be with me on my tours!
Wondering if David or anyone have any thoughts?
Steve P

Found how to load the BASECamp waypoints into the App as well as the complete route. However, if I use the waypoint only option, the App doesn't always make the same route as the BaseCamp route. Joining the waypoints in the right order, but sometimes taking a different road/route. Obviously the 'algorithms' are slightly different.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Sorry, can’t help with your Bluetooth issue.
But as far as BaseCamp and waypoints - make sure you place enough waypoints so that there’s no question another route could be taken.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #227 ·
Done enough miles and more for the first service to be done.

In the main, the TFT and the Connected App/BaseCamp are working as expected, with just a few small tweaks.
The voice instructions still remain a frustrating issue. When they are working they are very good and accurate. The phone and helmet quickly connect to the bike/TFT. The loading of the maps into map mode still take quite a while whether loading direct from the phone or the SD card.
Although the phone shows as connected on the TFT and in the phone settings, the voice instructions via Bluetooth don't work unless I disconnect the bike/phone Bluetooth and reconnect in the phone.settings. Once this is done the voice instructions are loud and clear. However, by the time I have to disconnect/reconnect the App has connected so I have to come out of that to reconnect the Bluetooth and wait for the App to load again - frustrating!
The problem is, having got it all to work, when I stop for fuel etc although the phone and helmet remain switched on, and show on the TFT when the ignition is switched on, the voice/Bluetooth doesn't work and I have to go through the whole process again - not possible when sat on a garage forecourt next to a fuel pump.
I have asked the App owners for their suggestions, but unlike with other queries, they have failed to respond this time......
I have done enough tests/trials now to know that the issue is down to the Bluetooth connection(s) for me to get the voice instructions. The good old Garmin 660 will still be with me on my tours!
Wondering if David or anyone have any thoughts?
Steve P

Found how to load the BASECamp waypoints into the App as well as the complete route. However, if I use the waypoint only option, the App doesn't always make the same route as the BaseCamp route. Joining the waypoints in the right order, but sometimes taking a different road/route. Obviously the 'algorithms' are slightly different.
Steve what sort of phone do you have?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Sorry, can’t help with your Bluetooth issue.
But as far as BaseCamp and waypoints - make sure you place enough waypoints so that there’s no question another route could be taken.
Trial and error has proved that to be the route solution.
Steve P

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hi David
Motorola G5 Android.
Played around with all of the settings and looked at G5 forums but nothing found.

Steve P

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #230 ·
Hi David
Motorola G5 Android.
Played around with all of the settings and looked at G5 forums but nothing found.

Steve P
If you have a route loaded and go into map mode (press button 4) you can push the wonder wheel right and you will see a menu. You can try repeating the last instruction to see if you can prompt The Woman

Probably the best solution is to get a cheap Samsung Galaxy and leave it in the bike.

·
Registered
55 Posts
If you have a route loaded and go into map mode (press button 4) you can push the wonder wheel right and you will see a menu. You can try repeating the last instruction to see if you can prompt The Woman
Hi David,
Thanks for the suggestion, but I always use that speaker icon when the App has loaded (don't have to wait for the map but usually do) before I set off to check if I can hear Mrs Woman :)
I take it that you have a Samsung Galaxy that doesn't lose the voice link when you turn the bike off and back when you stop for fuel etc?

·
Registered
16 Posts
As regards this ‘second’ ‘bike’ phone suggestion - are you paying for a monthly SIM card deal to get the data on the phone or are you able to ‘hot spot’ it to your main phone for data (I thought that you had to turn Wi-Fi off to be able to hot spot and therefore you would loose the maps connection) ?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #233 ·
As regards this ‘second’ ‘bike’ phone suggestion - are you paying for a monthly SIM card deal to get the data on the phone or are you able to ‘hot spot’ it to your main phone for data (I thought that you had to turn Wi-Fi off to be able to hot spot and therefore you would loose the maps connection) ?
You don't need a Sim unless you want to make calls. All the maps are downloaded and if you put music on it, essentially it becomes a dedicated sat nav.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #234 ·
Hi David,
Thanks for the suggestion, but I always use that speaker icon when the App has loaded (don't have to wait for the map but usually do) before I set off to check if I can hear Mrs Woman :)
I take it that you have a Samsung Galaxy that doesn't lose the voice link when you turn the bike off and back when you stop for fuel etc?
Yep I have a galaxy s10 and it connects perfectly when I start/stop

·
Registered
16 Posts
You don't need a Sim unless you want to make calls. All the maps are downloaded and if you put music on it, essentially it becomes a dedicated sat nav.
I assume you don’t get the traffic and roadwork updates without a data connection then - does the POI selection from the bike, nearest filling station and the address lookup still work okay without data on an Android phone - according to the data policy on the iPhone, the app sends your location/search terms to TomTom/external service provider to be able to provide these functions, which I assume can only be done with an internet connection ??

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #236 ·
First problem. I have a Sim in my bike phone so I can't properly answer. What I do know is that you don't need a sim for navigation all maps are on the phone. Regarding traffic I don't think the App cares about it. Its not like a garmin where it will re-route.
As far as POI'S are concerned I am guessing they are from the inbuilt maps. Someone will confirm this.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Regarding traffic I don't think the App cares about it. Its not like a garmin where it will re-route.
As far as POI'S are concerned I am guessing they are from the inbuilt maps. Someone will confirm this.
The app does have a consider traffic option, but I’m not sure exactly what that means.
It may take traffic into consideration when doing A to B routing, but likely not for imported routes.
And I think you’re right about the POIs being in the map data.

·
Premium Member
5,460 Posts
Found this yesterday. I know that TFTs going missing from GS's has been a problem.

R1250RT 10.25 Inch TFT Screen Security Brace

Steve P
Saw his installation video on YouTube a few weeks back. He's in your country! I wonder if that is a real issue, since on the RT, that dash seems to be quite solid! I have read about the ones on the GS/GSA being stolen, but I also don't know how well the dash is secured on the GS/GSA. Anyway, the installation looks very easy, but I am not sure if it increases the security.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hi PadG
I have used some of his stuff before and it is usually very well made.
I shan't be bothering with this just yet though until/if it becomes an issue. Just thought it might be of interest to some.

Steve P

221 - 240 of 264 Posts