BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

201 - 220 of 264 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #204 ·
Took the RT for its service yesterday, this is what I learned:

1. ACC is brilliant, I had not been down a motorway on the bike but had to yesterday to make my appointment. I simply set cruise to 75mph and did not have to touch the throttle until I left the motorway. As I came up behind slower traffic I got the car icon on the display to show that ACC had picked up a vehicle, all I did was indicate and pull out, the bike resumed to cruise speed. its like having a cushion of air between you and the vehicle in front. Every vehicle should have this.

2. I am too small for a GS, at 5' 8" and 29" inside leg, I don't fit. The dealer set the bike to min settings but that only works when the bike is running. Throwing my leg over it was embarrassing and I do believe there were tears in my eyes as we moved off after getting the warning that it will be £500 if I drop it (insurance excess).

3. The TFT dash on the GS is a smaller version of the RT in that there is no engine temperature gauge and odometer etc. is all under the favourites menu. Dealer said it had been like that for some time now, so don't expect BMW to make any changes to the RT TFT.

4. On min suspension settings the GS bounces a lot, bum was sore after about 30 minutes and more tears fell when I got off it, ( 2 hours later) I thought I would not be able to walk properly again.

5. So glad to get back on the RT. Since I made the settings BMW recommended on the phone I have had zero connectivity issues.

·
Premium Member
5,460 Posts
Nice, David!

·
Registered
331 Posts
I think it it presumptuous to require a phone for navigation. I guess I will move to another brand that has a better gps or makes it easy to use an existing gps.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I don’t think depending on the phone for navigation is really a bad idea but it should have been executed as well as on my 2018 Honda Accord. The Apple CarPlay it quite amazing. I believe the dedicated BMW App was the wrong turn in the road to success.

Paul

·
Registered
228 Posts
I don’t think depending on the phone for navigation is really a bad idea but it should have been executed as well as on my 2018 Honda Accord. The Apple CarPlay it quite amazing. I believe the dedicated BMW App was the wrong turn in the road to success.

Paul
I can see BMW’s point though. Back when BMW started developing the new 10.5” TFT screen, CarPlay wasn’t around then, or had no apps other than Apple’s own. And then Apple Maps was just point A to B directions, and had no real routing capability. For BMW to completely change direction now after investing so much time and money with their app and hardware, would just not be good business sense.

But I actually think BMW will further improve the app and the TFT’s hardware firmware to make it a viable alternative to dedicated GPS devices. Any new technology has growing pains, but it does improve. I just hope BMW can improve their new system sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
228 Posts
One definite improvement with the new TFT system (for me anyway) is being able to connect non-BMW headsets to both the rider and passenger connections on the bike, and the Bluetooth quality is so much better. On my old RT and K1600s I’ve had (still currently have a 2018 K1600 Grand America), the Alpine’s Bluetooth system is so bad I’ve had to bypass the bike’s Bluetooth using a Motochello Audio Bridge with a Sena SM10 stereo Bluetooth transmitter. I’ve done this mod on 3 previous BMW bikes I’ve had because I ride with my wife a lot and we both listen to the same sat radio or my iPhone’s music. Thankfully BMW got their act together on this part.

·
Premium Member
2020 R1250RT Alpine White
113 Posts
... For BMW to completely change direction now after investing so much time and money with their app and hardware, would just not be good business sense....
My perception would be almost the polar opposite - continuing to throw resources at a problem for which there are multiple open-source solutions won't make BMW the go-to place for bike (or car) navigation tools - and it never will.

Apple's best play was to make the developer process for iPhone/iPad apps, iWatch, CarPlay, etc. consistent and repeatable. Whether Waze (for example) is the app folks will be using in 24 months can't be known, but the interface to use whatever app it is WILL be known.

As to whether BMW understands this, I kinda think they do - BMW Apple CarPlay is finally free

I feel very lucky that I have a 2020 bike with a Garmin standalone NAV VI. I hope the BMW app gets better, and I'm sure it will, but don't forget you are a very captive market in that respect, and they already have your money.

Larry

·
Registered
228 Posts
My perception would be almost the polar opposite - continuing to throw resources at a problem for which there are multiple open-source solutions won't make BMW the go-to place for bike (or car) navigation tools - and it never will.
Your opinion of course, but what you deem a problem is actually a good implementation of phone-based navigation designed for motorcycles. And having the BMW app incorporating various trip analytics adds functionality not available in CarPlay. Yes, it’s not perfect just yet, but neither was CarPlay when it first came out.
Also car and motorcycle routing are really different things actually, with motorcycle riders wanting more flexibility with custom routing capability that most car drivers don’t want or need.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I can see BMW’s point though. Back when BMW started developing the new 10.5” TFT screen, CarPlay wasn’t around then, or had no apps other than Apple’s own. And then Apple Maps was just point A to B directions, and had no real routing capability. For BMW to completely change direction now after investing so much time and money with their app and hardware, would just not be good business sense.

But I actually think BMW will further improve the app and the TFT’s hardware firmware to make it a viable alternative to dedicated GPS devices. Any new technology has growing pains, but it does improve. I just hope BMW can improve their new system sooner rather than later.
I’d agree except my 2014 Kia had Apple Car Play, so it’s been around plenty long enough. I can’t understand why BMW would use a proprietary app other than not wanting to pay Apple a license fee, and of course control. Kinda sux for the customer though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
228 Posts
I’d agree except my 2014 Kia had Apple Car Play, so it’s been around plenty long enough. I can’t understand why BMW would use a proprietary app other than not wanting to pay Apple a license fee, and of course control. Kinda sux for the customer though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As I mentioned above, Apple Maps in CarPlay is really meant for point A to B routing. And Apple Maps back then really wasn’t the best. So as far as not wanting to play Apple license fees, I doubt that’s the issue as BMW is paying TomTom license fees for their digital maps.
Even now Apple Maps is not really made for custom routing, but there now are other iOS apps that can handle this.

But it’s simple really, there’s plenty of options (and bikes) to get what you want. If you don’t like BMW’s navigation on the new RT, mount a dedicated GPS, get an older RT, or another bike entirely.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Apple's best play was to make the developer process for iPhone/iPad apps, iWatch, CarPlay, etc. consistent and repeatable. Whether Waze (for example) is the app folks will be using in 24 months can't be known, but the interface to use whatever app it is WILL be known.
Ok, but this does not help Android users.

·
Registered
'17 RTW; Dark Blue; Illium barbaks and crash bars; Sargent seat, Aeroflow Tall windscreen.
145 Posts
Only on the ‘21 model. On the 19/20 models you have to go through the whole left left up down menu malarky. That was one of the reasons I didn’t take one of the leftover new stock bikes. It would drive me mad until I could do it by memory.
I’m expecting the TFT to be flaky for a bit but they have had the 6.5” out for a while - they’re not reinventing the wheel. (*he said while crossing his fingers )
Geordi:

How often do you adjust heated grips? I put them on low when it's cold in the morning and off when weather warms up. If you need more, time to change gloves.

Reactions: nh1200c

·
Registered
106 Posts
Geordi:

How often do you adjust heated grips? I put them on low when it's cold in the morning and off when weather warms up. If you need more, time to change gloves.
Nah, I need to have my hands at the goldilocks setting! Not too cold, not too hot but juuust right!

But what I mean about the menu system is, I don’t like the idea of spending more that a fraction of a second looking away from the road to do some thing that could be a button press. Same with the damping adjustment - I often go from road (chauffeur) mode to dynamic and both of those are single button presses on the GS.

BTW, the more I see about the ‘21 RT the more it seems like the TFT menu structure isn’t really the forward step it could be over the ‘20. Even using the #2 shortcut button on the ‘21 it takes more messing around to change heat settings and damping settings aren’t even displayed (as they are on the ‘20).
I found this video pretty good at comparing the bikes esp. the menus -

·
Registered
64 Posts
One thing to note on the suspension modes is that by default they are linked to riding modes (right handlebar mode button). Select road or rain mode and the ESA will be on road. Select dynamic and the ESA switches to dynamic as well. You can go through the menus to change the ESA to another setting.

·
Premium Member
5,460 Posts
One thing to note on the suspension modes is that by default they are linked to riding modes (right handlebar mode button). Select road or rain mode and the ESA will be on road. Select dynamic and the ESA switches to dynamic as well. You can go through the menus to change the ESA to another setting.
That is very true and applicable to the wethead 1200RT on up. I don't think that we can change the relationship on the 1200RT though. I have never tried, but I think that somebody else wrote that it was the case. I am quite happy with "Dynamic" paired with "Hard". I want maximum feed-back on those rides!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #220 ·
My thoughts on some of the above.

Navigation

I have been using a sat nav on a bike for about 16 years and I quickly decided that the only way to plan a route was on a computer with an export to the Sat nav and that is pretty much how it has been with me. Plotting anything on a Sat Nav apart from finding a POI is IMHO too painful to bother with. So, I have got over the hurdle of my bike phone and the BMW App, my bike phone is now my Sat Nav unit and all I have to be able to do is get the BMW App to import a route and it does that without any problems. Don't ask for too much from the BMW Navigation App and you won't be disappointed.

Finding POI's is also pretty easy when sitting on the bike, so finding fuel or a hotel and adding it to my route is a doddle.

So, I am now settled with navigation on the 21 RT I have a good computer planning app (MyRouteApp) and an easy way to import routes.

Riding modes

The 21 RT has four riding modes and two damping modes, the riding modes are Road, Dynamic, Rain and Eco. The damping modes are Road and Dynamic and the modes are linked in that by default if you switch to riding mode Dynamic, damping mode will be Dynamic. All other riding modes will use Road damping.

In previous versions of the RT and K16's that I had the riding mode and damping mode were displayed on the dash and these were easily changed with the buttons on the right and left handlebar.

In the 21 RT only the riding mode is displayed.

Sometimes, I want Dynamic riding mode and Road Damping, perhaps because of a rough road that I am on. To change that on the 21RT is multiple presses and navigation around the menu system so its a pain. Its also a pain that it remembers your setting. What that means is that your display can show Dynamic but your damping can be still set to Road and because the damping is no longer displayed you don't know what it is set to. All in all, its stupid so I just leave it alone, I have come to accept that if I want Dynamic, I got Dynamic damping and If the road is bumpy I change to Road which will give me Road damping.

201 - 220 of 264 Posts