BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
921 - 937 of 937 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
I get the march forward with tech however there should be viable options from the manufacturer
Not everyone wants to do everything with their phone. A shame BMW alienates those that want a phone to be just a phone.

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
I get the march forward with tech however there should be viable options from the manufacturer
Not everyone wants to do everything with their phone. A shame BMW alienates those that want a phone to be just a phone.
Yeah , I wasn't too pleased with the "you need a phone for this to work idea" . All they really needed to do is create a dongle type device that would plug into the USB connector that would create all the necessary functions the TFT needed to work. And if you needed to update map info you'd just bring the dongle into your house to a PC and update it the same way you do with a Garmin GPS unit. That idea of a dongle still isn't out of the reach of tech these days.................

·
Registered
187 Posts
A shame BMW alienates those that want a phone to be just a phone.
I’m not sure that they are, are they ? You don’t have to use the app or connect your phone to the bike. Keep it in your jacket pocket if you wish. Use the TFT as a regular dashboard and attach whatever sat nav you want to the bike. Plenty are using the Zumo XT on the 21RT. There are already numerous mounting options with RAM mount etc, together with options to mount a sat nav above the TFT screen. They have changed the layout of the cockpit, but give it time and we will be inundated with various options and mounts to attach exactly whatever you want.

·
Premium Member
5,890 Posts
Yeah , I wasn't too pleased with the "you need a phone for this to work idea" . All they really needed to do is create a dongle type device that would plug into the USB connector that would create all the necessary functions the TFT needed to work. And if you needed to update map info you'd just bring the dongle into your house to a PC and update it the same way you do with a Garmin GPS unit. That idea of a dongle still isn't out of the reach of tech these days.................
Just look around at the new cars and bikes! They all are heading in this direction, and for cars, it's been a few years now. Look at even the HD Pan America that just came out! Any of those companies offered the "old" technology as option? None do! As much as I am done with BMW for good, but the X-series SUV that I had been looking at also uses the same technology, with dedicated app to be loaded on your phone. If you think that any companies is going to offer you old technology as option, then you are really dreaming! ;)

Hey, did we buy our bikes for how it look, or the riding experience? I, for one, stayed focused on the rides!!!

·
Super Moderator
1,433 Posts
I don't see that happening. The only way Apple could screw over the consumers is to prioritize their products to only work with other Apple products. That would be a suicidal business plan ...............................
My point was that BMW is now dependent upon other "vendors technology" this is all smartphone manufactures and they will need to play catch up to that technology as it evolves - not just Apple.

Reactions: dtrain

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
My point was that BMW is now dependent upon other "vendors technology" this is all smartphone manufactures and they will need to play catch up to that technology as it evolves - not just Apple.
Are you kidding? BMW has always been dependent on other "vendors technology" when they design any thing they build for market. Nothing has changed it's just moving to different venues and as usual the testing phase of assembly wasn't fully tested before the release to the public.

·
Registered
187 Posts
My point was that BMW is now dependent upon other "vendors technology"
As they did by putting all their eggs in one basket with Garmin - they had to conform with whatever Garmin dictated, and as well as sharing some profit, paid a premium for the privilege that was ultimately passed onto the customer. At least the consumer now has a vast choice of mobile phone to use (or not), at almost every budget level.

Apple (and I assume Android) are very supportive of developers, releasing beta versions of their latest updates well in advance so that apps can be tweaked and tested prior to release - probably the area that BMW fell down on initially. But they will get there.

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
This will kind of tell you what we up against as to what kind of BMW geniuses we're dealing with:

Question to them:
Hi, I was just curious as to which cell phones models you used in the initial testing of the TFT to phone interface in the bluetooth and wifi connectivity?

Their reply:
Thank you for your e-mail. We appreciate your efforts to direct your request to us. Unfortunately we have difficulties to understand what you mean. Would you please describe the issue a bit more detailed?

I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving .............................

·
Registered
187 Posts
Unfortunately we have difficulties to understand what you mean.
Roughly translated : Well we didn’t really test it with different phones, just mine and the other guys out the office. And when I say test it, well we didn’t really go out the office as neither of us can ride a bike anyway.

·
Registered
148 Posts
This will kind of tell you what we up against as to what kind of BMW geniuses we're dealing with:

Question to them:
Hi, I was just curious as to which cell phones models you used in the initial testing of the TFT to phone interface in the bluetooth and wifi connectivity?

Their reply:
Thank you for your e-mail. We appreciate your efforts to direct your request to us. Unfortunately we have difficulties to understand what you mean. Would you please describe the issue a bit more detailed?

I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving .............................
I wish I had recorded my many conversations with Customer Service Reps at BMW North America! Some were comical and some wanted to make me scream. In their defense in some of them no one at BMW is sharing any information with them or their dealers. Matter of fact when I picked my bike up after the software update during my conversation with the Service Manager he asked me how I had so much knowledge of what was going on and where was I getting it as BMW wasn't telling him shit. Sent him a link to this site.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have recently received this e-mail in reply to a request on the expected update release date.

Thank you for your e-mail.

Since the beginning of September 2021 there is a update for the Connectivity/TFT display (vehicle software) available which will improve the stability of the Bluetooth connections and remedy some other bugs (version 012.007.030).

Additionally there ise a second update in preparation which is expected to be released in the middle of December 2021. This update will fix some other bugs and improve the stability of the Bluetooth connections (especially iOS) once more.

Kind Regards,

So it looks like very shortly all our issues may be sorted :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Cheers for this. You’re exactly mirroring my experience / conversations with my dealer. I also feel lucky that I live 15 minutes from a dealer and that they are happy to hook my bike up “just to check” whenever I ask them (for now!)

I’m even more interested now to hear if anyone has actually got one of these updates or are the support staff just sending emails out about what they thought would happen…
I took my bike into San Diego bmw and they charged me about $100.00 to tell me I already have new tft already on my bike. Iam so bummed out that my 2021 r1250 has about 10,000 miles on it and never used my tft for mapping it just sucks. So iam mounting a new garmin zumo xt right above my tft. This new GARMIN is just awesome why can’t bmw let them build a tft that works.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
I took my bike into San Diego bmw and they charged me about $100.00 to tell me I already have new tft already on my bike. Iam so bummed out that my 2021 r1250 has about 10,000 miles on it and never used my tft for mapping it just sucks. So iam mounting a new garmin zumo xt right above my tft. This new GARMIN is just awesome why can’t bmw let them build a tft that works.
Ummm the Software update fix IS A WARRANTY ISSUE and should be NO COST!!
If they charged you $100 to say you have the latest software I'd call BMW NA to complain as that's B.S.!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
interesting
should have no charge. I take my RT to BMW OF ESCONDID. They didn’t even charge me to put in my radio unit last weekend. A refund of $100.00 is necessary.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Yeah, that’s pretty poor service. I just told my dealer that I was having connection issues and that I’d heard there was an update. They ended up hooking it up 3 separate times until I got the most recent version.
Also - if there are no updates available for your bike, it takes seconds for the computer to say so. Charging $100 for that is just not on imho.

·
Registered
180 Posts
This has happened to me twice now. The recorded trip on the Connected App jumps to the center of Atlanta, Georgia, 300 miles away. Has anyone else had this issue?

I purchased an iPhone SE (2020 version) to use as a dedicated phone for the RT since my Pixel phone still doesn't display maps.

Map Rectangle World Slope Font

921 - 937 of 937 Posts