BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
901 - 920 of 937 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #901 ·
Yes it’s on the iPhone version but you have to scroll up on the navigation settings page to find it - just checking it’s not hidden in the same way on the Android version ?
Nope, its missing on the Android version,. This is plain stupid by the developers, if they release a version of the software it should have the same functionality for whatever the operating system is.

I also noticed Prioritised background activity under permissions.

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
So, I did 141 miles today with out a glitch. I do like that the streets are readable since they made the letters bigger and the direction of the next turn shows up about a mile away before it. I was going to buy a dedicated iPhone for the bike but now I don't really think I need to go that route.............................

·
Registered
187 Posts
Yes it is but it's in the iPhone settings not the app. Go to settings > background app refresh
I don’t think they have the same meaning though.

Prioritised background activity allows an app on an Android to run in the background as though it was running in the foreground with all the same functions, ie it allows the connected ride app to continue navigating with maps in the background whilst the user Is making a phone call in the foreground.

Background app refresh on an iPhone allows an app that is in the background (sleeping/suspended after being closed or pushed to the back by another app) to receive updates whilst its sleeping, typically used by say a news app that updates itself with the latest news so that when you re-open it and bring it to the foreground its up to date. It doesn’t give the app full functionality whilst its in the background like the Android setting. This is why when you make an outgoing phone call on an iPhone, it pushes the connected ride app to the background, suspending it from running resulting in the map disappearing whilst you are in that phone call.

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
I don’t think they have the same meaning though.

Prioritised background activity allows an app on an Android to run in the background as though it was running in the foreground with all the same functions, ie it allows the connected ride app to continue navigating with maps in the background whilst the user Is making a phone call in the foreground.

Background app refresh on an iPhone allows an app that is in the background (sleeping/suspended after being closed or pushed to the back by another app) to receives updates whilst its sleeping, typically used by say a news app that updates itself with the latest news so that when you re-open it and bring it to the foreground its up to date. It doesn’t give the app full functionality whilst its in the background like the Android setting. This is why when you make an outgoing phone call on an iPhone, it pushes the connected ride app to the background, suspending it from running resulting in the map disappearing whilst you are in that phone call.
Your certainly correct about that if the connected app isn't in the foreground it doesn't work unlike the sirius xm app which will still work even when you shut the screen off which is the way the connected app should work but it doesn't. I just figured that setting would help the connected app work a bit better .............................

·
Registered
187 Posts
I just figured that setting would help the connected app work a bit better .............................
Its not going to hurt, at least it is able to get updates in the background with this setting on. The only reasons you would turn it off would be to extend battery life or conserve mobile data (both of which are so minimal you would hardly notice the difference anyway).

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #908 ·
The latest update from BMW, shows they are investing heavily in the connected App technology so good news for us. There is a little bit about new features on the App that seem to be only on iOS at the moment.

·
Registered
77 Posts
The latest update from BMW, shows they are investing heavily in the connected App technology so good news for us. There is a little bit about new features on the App that seem to be only on iOS at the moment.

This cradle appears to be a better solution than projecting the maps on the TFT. No wi-fi connections to drop, cell phone is easy to aceess, input to app via touch-screen and BMW has full control of the functionality vs having to rely to a 3rd party vendor to improve TFT software. Riders are also more used to such setup (similar to GPS units). BMW could have done this solution before launching the full-size TFT and would be a big success

·
Registered
187 Posts
This solution has actually been available for a long time now - there are many cradles on the market that take advantage of the nav mount in exactly the same way for very little money. The only difference is that you will have to pay a premium for the BMW version to take advantage of using the wonder wheel.

Can’t seem to find an accurate price, but one website quotes 220 euros - the non wonder wheel third party cradles are a tenth of that price !!

·
Registered
412 Posts
This cradle appears to be a better solution than projecting the maps on the TFT.
My opinion, but I prefer the information on the larger TFT display. If BMW can fix what remaining bugs exist then I’ll have no complaints with the setup.
I’m also still hopeful that BMW may add Apple CarPlay at some point in the future. But even if not this system has been working well for me with the latest updates.

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
My daily routine is to start sirius XM, then put it in the background, then start the connected app and leave it in the foreground. Power up the bike and roll it out of the barn and start the bike. By the time I get my gear on and sit on the bike ready to roll, the bluetooth and wifi are up and running and the mapping is ready for it's first destination. I'd be a lot happier if they'd find a radio unit for my bike so I could get rid of the bluetooth amp I'm using for music and use the system they designed for the bike, but it is what it is. So far the mapping system has worked flawlessly since the IOS upgrade and I guess that's a step in the right direction.

·
Registered
187 Posts
My opinion, but I prefer the information on the larger TFT display. If BMW can fix what remaining bugs exist then I’ll have no complaints with the setup.
I agree with you - I like the concept of the connected app and the large TFT. I wanted everything in one place, controlled by one system and not have to add an array of holders and gadgets; all competing for Bluetooth connections to my helmet. The bugs are slowly being ironed out and the app is getting more features as we go along. For my personal needs, it works fine aside from the slow connection side of things.

I’m also still hopeful that BMW may add Apple CarPlay at some point in the future.
Think you will be hoping for a very long time - can’t see this happening at all. It‘s clear that their path, along with many other manufacturers, is to develop their own app and phone based navigation system. The release of the connected ride cradle, for me, seals that fate as the app is now pushed out to the non TFT audience as well. Can only be a plus with (hopefully) more investment and development of the app and TFT set up.

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
Well just out of curiosity I just visited the BMW Motorrad site and checked out some of the new bikes in the line up and from the looks of things the TFT and the connected app are here to stay. So I would imagine in time BMW will straighten out all the glitches in their TFT system and we the consumers will just have to grin and bear it till they do.

·
Super Moderator
1,433 Posts
My concern is what Apple and other phone manufacturers will do in the future and with BMW utilizing and being dependent upon their technology - this will put them in a constant reactionary mode. :unsure:

Reactions: Ultra54

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
My concern is what Apple and other phone manufacturers will do in the future and with BMW utilizing and being dependent upon their technology - this will put them in a constant reactionary mode. :unsure:
I don't see that happening. The only way Apple could screw over the consumers is to prioritize their products to only work with other Apple products. That would be a suicidal business plan ...............................

·
Registered
187 Posts
Yep, Apple (and others) have certainly mellowed in recent years. They have come to realise that even the most loyal of customers still demand flexibility and integration with third party devices. Suicidal business plan indeed. The App Store is big business.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #920 ·
To "Balance the books" a bit:

1. I recently purchased an Audi Q5 Sportback, its a £50k+ car and with it I got my new "My Audi" app which is pretty much the same as the BMW Connected App. I can see what fuel I have, that the doors are locked and a few other bits and pieces including a map showing where my car is. Apparently, I can plot a route on my Audi App and send it to my car. How I do that, is still a mystery to me. So in that respects the BMW App is vastly superior to the Audi App.

2. Santa is bringing me a Galaxy smart watch 4, its the bang up to date model. My wife is getting one as well, she is not into tecky stuff, but I am going to risk it. My watch is currently being tested on my wrist and I have to say I am chuffed with it. Anyway, I digress, why this is important is that the watch has Google Maps on it and I can plot a destination. When I do this, the watch opens Google maps on my phone and uses it to plot the route. The phone remains locked on so unless you start up the phone you can't see Google Maps on it. The route appears on both the watch and the phone.

This is exactly what the TFT is doing when working with the BMW App and the point is the technology is working, so that is another good sign for the future. I am pretty sure if I plot a route on my phone it will display on my watch, its pretty cool stuff.

BTW, and this is again brilliant. The watch has a SOS option, if I set this up and it detects a fall it will send a SOS message to my wife and daughter with GPS co-ordinates, just like the SOS option on the BMW bikes. In addition, the SOS option can be configured so that it is triggered if the home button is pressed three times, apparently that is in case the owner of watch is distressed (kidnapped or whatever) they can send for help.

901 - 920 of 937 Posts