BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
881 - 900 of 937 Posts

·
Registered
2021 R1250RT
42 Posts
Keeping an eye on the updates but my initial impression of the interface is ok... I still prefer my zumo because it connects faster and provides more info that I can get at faster and media is more easily accessed/controlled.. Plus you get the weather radar.

But, hopefully the app keeps improving.

·
Premium Member
5,890 Posts
So is this the FULL update that we've all been waiting for ??
He's talking about the app and NOT the RT's update! ;)

·
Registered
180 Posts
Just got the updated Android Connected App - version is now 4.0. It adds support for the new Connectivity Hub and the Connected Ride Cradle. Unfortunately I still have no map display but have an appointment next Wednesday for the radio install and a warranty claim for my map problem. I was hoping the app update would fix it....

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
The iOS Connected app has also just been updated to version 4.0.
Yes, The IOS app has been updated to 4.0.0 (400023) and I just got done testing it. Still takes about 1 minute for the bluetooth and wifi connections to complete but it does it with no interventions just have the app open before starting the bike. The distance setting now remembers where you want it and the streets are not much more visible in day mode but it seems to keep up with where you are in real time. I only took a short ride and will report back on Saturday after a much longer distance ride................................................

·
Registered
148 Posts
Had the Sept update installed Tuesday and after 2 days of riding a big improvement for me. No more multi-step procedure before every start to get music to work. Just start music app the first time before putting phone in the compartment and it can now stay there the rest of the ride. Each subsequent start the media does show no media at first but as soon as I select unmute it starts and shows what is playing! I use Pandora and Samsung Music on my Note 10. :love:

·
Registered
180 Posts
Since I still don't see maps on Android version 4.0, I've been using my old iPhone SE. Even with version 4.0 I still have to accept the "join" prompt to connect to WiFi and show maps. I have verified that the RT's WiFi connection is set to auto join, but it doesn't. For all of you using an iPhone do you have to accept the prompt when starting a ride and after every stop? If not, am I missing a setting?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Since I still don't see maps on Android version 4.0, I've been using my old iPhone SE. Even with version 4.0 I still have to accept the "join" prompt to connect to WiFi and show maps. I have verified that the RT's WiFi connection is set to auto join, but it doesn't. For all of you using an iPhone do you have to accept the prompt when starting a ride and after every stop? If not, am I missing a setting?
Is your phone already connected to a WiFi network, like your home? If so that’s why you need to select Join. If you’re away from home, you shouldn’t be connected to a WiFi network and the phone will auto-join the bike’s WiFi. On your iPhone, make sure you’ve set these 2 WiFi settings:

·
Registered
584 Posts
Since this thread is getting longer and longer (same as our suffering due to Connected app issues) I didn't read all the posts and rather ask here and now the following question;

- If we decide to put a dedicated phone to work as our RT phone ( a new iPhone SE for example) does that phone have to a service contract? I have a paid for iPhone SE at home with no service on it. Sitting in its box. Can I download the app via Home wifi and then use it on the bike without going to my carrier AT&T and signing up that phone for an account?

Also another question;
- My current cell phone is an iPhone 12 ProMax. Time to time I travel to the countryside so far away from civilization that I do not get any cell signal. What will happen to the Connected app when I am in those areas.
I used to ride those areas with my R1250 GS Adventure and my GPS VI worked no matter wherever I was. Since purchasing the RT I never had such trip yet. I was wondering what to expect in that kind of situation?

·
Registered
111 Posts
The phone doesn't need to have a cellphone signal or contract to provide navigation. You won't get traffic information taken into account though. If you plan your route while connected to home WiFi it will use that download current traffic.

·
Registered
'21 R1250RT
378 Posts
Can I download the app via Home wifi and then use it on the bike without going to my carrier AT&T and signing up that phone for an account?
Most certainly. Just make sure you download the maps you want while on the home wifi. Like Keith said, you don't need a connection, just miss out on live traffic.

What will happen to the Connected app when I am in those areas.
Nothing, it'll keep working and phones home when data becomes available. It'll keep working as long as you did the bits in part one above.

881 - 900 of 937 Posts