BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
821 - 840 of 866 Posts

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Am I missing something there was a firmware update recently for the TFT? What is the code version, when was it released, is the dealer installing it for free?
Read post #793 and yes it's free and takes about 30 minutes to install.

·
Registered
2021 BMW R1250RT
100 Posts
Read post #793 and yes it's free and takes about 30 minutes to install.
Thank you sir. It doesn't look like this is actually really fixing anything though. I guess we need to see how it goes for others.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Am I missing something there was a firmware update recently for the TFT? What is the code version, when was it released, is the dealer installing it for free?
[from an earlier post]

For those of you playing along at home, the dealer needs to update their diagnostic computer to ISTA version 4.31.16. Then, they connect your bike to their computer and install the most current I-Level software onto your bike -- version 21.07.520 as of this writing. When it is all complete the software version that will be displayed on your bike (Settings Menu, Software Versions sub-menu) will be 012.007.030.

Disconnect all previous devices from your setup, then re-pair everything.

Previously encountered connection problems and instability between Motorrad Connected and the TFT display are essentially fixed. Certain specific issues linger, specifically Media playback options depending on what flavor of mobile end device you may be using.

My dealer did not charge me for doing this. It may take three hours to accomplish.

But I consider this to be a pretty Big Fix. Highly Recommended.

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
As far as I'm concerned as a gps system is fixed with the TFT update and ios update to 3.2.1 . I'm taking a ride from Spring Hill to St. Augustine Friday for lunch at O'Steens. It's a 3 hour ride and 160 miles one way. I'll let you know how many times the gps screws up.

·
Premium Member
5,839 Posts
You must have been really out of touch!!!! ;) Let me quote the email that I had gotten (after making a second complaint), and yes it is "free" covered under warranty. I hadn't want to get that done now, since there is another major update scheduled for sometimes in Nov/Dec:

Jörg Baderschneider (BMW Motorrad Connected)
01.10.2021, 13:20 OESZ
Dear Padej,

Thank you for your e-mail.

As described in the previous e-mail, we ask you to contact your BMW Motorrad dealer. He is able to update the vehicle software of your BMW R 1250 RT to version 012.007.030 (ISTA version 4.31.16. The I-Level for BMW R 1250 RT is July 21, 520).

Kind Regards,
Jörg Baderschneider

--

BMW Motorrad Connectivity

D - 80788 München
Mail: [email protected]
Web: Home

Reactions: JRT

·
Premium Member
5,839 Posts
At present, the Media selection and playback interface is primitive indeed. I can not select individual song titles. I can not select playlists. I can initiate playback of whatever song was already cued up on the iPhone. I can skip ahead to the next song, or skip backward to a previous song. The playing order of the songs is determined by the playlist they are in at the time playback is initiated, or if no playlist is selected on the phone the songs play in whatever order they are in the library. My Connected => TFT interface does show album artwork, song name, artist.

As a tantalizing sidenote, one time and one time only, the Media menu on my TFT displayed everything -- Playback, Now Playing, All Artists, All Albums, Playlists... but only the menu "placeholders" were there... no information was shown under any of those selection options, and then that version of the interface disappeared, reverting to the simple "Playback" and "Audio Settings" choices I have now.

In the Manual, under Troubleshooting (p.240), looking at the problem of "The playback list is not displayed in the TFT display", the Possible Cause is shown as, "There are too many tracks in the playback list on the mobile end device." The Remedy is shown as, "Reduce the number of tracks in the playback list on the mobile end device." Great. :-[ So, from the Beginning, BMW knew there would be such an issue with their software... but how many songs are we allowed to have on our device? Nobody knows!! So infuriating!!
So, you have just the same thing that I have had all along! Same functionality as a cheap bluetooth receiver . . . . actually, less than that even, since those cheap receiver will allow you to change the volume!

What I had complaint to BMW was the fact that we didn't even have close to the functions that they "advertised", quoting specifically from their Connectivity Q&A page:

"When listening to music via the BMW Motorrad Connected App and the TFT-Display of the equipment Connectivity, can I select my songs, albums and playlists with the BMW Motorrad Multi-Controller?
Yes, when listening to music via the BMW Motorrad Connected app and the equipment Connectivity, you can select the songs, albums and playlists stored on your smartphone using the BMW Motorrad Multi-Controller.
Note: Playlist selection is currently only possible with iOS. Due to limited memory capacity, an overflow may result in empty or incomplete lists. "

What I got back from Stefen was quite nonsensical to me. He kept talking about playlist, which I have absolutely no interests in, and even there, it sounds like he really doesn't know much about playlist in general.

Reactions: professorb

·
Premium Member
5,839 Posts
Well, I took the first long ride yesterday, after having the RT's software updated. All comments that I have made regarding connectivity after the update, until now, had been with my RT sitting in the garage. For this ride, I also decide to use my old Pixel (one?) phone (no installed SIM) instead of my previously usual Pixel 4a-5G. The old Pixel may replace the newer one as the dedicated phone for the RT.

At the start, I had just the Media Monkey running on the phone, with tracks to play selected, and I just stuck the phone in its compartment. The phone connected up fine as soon as I fired up the RT. The BMW Connect app launched itself, as always, and both connections were made automatically, again as always. I had planned on riding for the full tank full of fuel, but as it went, I actually rode for a bit longer than that! Had to get refueled with almost dry tank about 50 miles from home.

Anyway, the ride was almost 300 miles, and I had made 2 stops. First was for a break, and the second was to refuel. The connectivity in all areas were perfect for the whole ride. The wifi connection feels more secure. Previously, when I change screen off the map, and when I get back to any of the map screen, the wifi connect icon would appear for a couple of seconds before the map is shown. Nothing like that this time! It seems that the wifi connection is retained when you go off the map page, so that when you return the map is displayed at once! Another notable observation is that, in the past if I make a stop, I would need to get at the phone to get the music playing again before I could ride off, IF I want to listen to music. Now, the phone can stay in its cubby, which it did, for the whole ride including the 2 stops, and everything works!

Now, if the Nov/Dec update will get me my artist/album/genre selection in the TFT menu, I will be a completely happy camper! So far, it's OK.

Reactions: professorb

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #828 ·
I remember reading this, being annoyed and then erasing the statement and my thoughts:

"Note: Playlist selection is currently only possible with iOS. Due to limited memory capacity, an overflow may result in empty or incomplete lists. "

So, Pat resurrecting this comment has raised my annoyance levels again, just imagine:

1. They put a SD card inside the TFT, say 128GB, which are £15.00 on Amazon today. (Just the same way Garmin do it)
2. The maps are downloaded to the TFT via our phone, either by plugging our phone into the USB socket on the bike, or wirelessly when the bike is switched on,. So the phone keeps the maps updated on the TFT.
3. Now all that has to happen is that the App on the phone has to send the route to the TFT (just the same way Garmin do it) and the TFT does the navigation with ZERO connection problems.
4. Then the phone can be used to play music and phone people, in just the same way as cars have been doing it for how many years?

Boy did BMW Motorrad really screw up.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #829 ·
@PadG I concur, the only issue I have is this:

When I make a phone call I lose voice directions. When I stop the bike at say a junction, I switch the bike off and back on and everything is back to normal.

You may want to check this out so that if you have the same problem you are not surprised by it and you know the remedy.

·
Premium Member
5,839 Posts

When I make a phone call I lose voice directions. When I stop the bike at say a junction, I switch the bike off and back on and everything is back to normal.

You may want to check this out so that if you have the same problem you are not surprised by it and you know the remedy.
I rarely use phone call while riding, but I did try it out when I first got this RT. No problems with the Pixel phone! There is a good chance that I will make my old Pixel the Bike-phone, without a SIM installed, and so I won't have phone calling capability from the bike at all. Of course, I will have my 4a-5G with me, but it won't be paired to the RT.

Reactions: DavidMcK

·
Registered
2021 BMW R1250RT
100 Posts
You must have been really out of touch!!!! ;) Let me quote the email that I had gotten (after making a second complaint), and yes it is "free" covered under warranty. I hadn't want to get that done now, since there is another major update scheduled for sometimes in Nov/Dec:

Jörg Baderschneider (BMW Motorrad Connected)
01.10.2021, 13:20 OESZ
Dear Padej,

Thank you for your e-mail.

As described in the previous e-mail, we ask you to contact your BMW Motorrad dealer. He is able to update the vehicle software of your BMW R 1250 RT to version 012.007.030 (ISTA version 4.31.16. The I-Level for BMW R 1250 RT is July 21, 520).

Kind Regards,
Jörg Baderschneider

--

BMW Motorrad Connectivity

D - 80788 München
Mail: [email protected]
Web: Home
Thanks Pad...I had stopped paying attention to this because I installed a Zumo XT on the bike and stopped using the phone for navigation and media. I don't ever see the phone integration working well as there are just too many different models of phone hardware/software our there for them to get this right. They should have done Android Auto and Apple Car Play and this would be far less of a headache. Oh well I like the look of the dash over the old clocks and I love the bike so it's not a big deal to me, but if this is a minor update I will wait for the major one.

·
Registered
22 Posts
So, a quick question if I may, does anyone else have issues with the volume level being far too low??
I am using a Schuberth C4 Pro fitted with the Sena SC1 system.
The helmet connects to the TFT with no problems, and I do get sound, but 95% of the time it is VERY quiet, so quiet that at speeds in excess of 30mph it can't be understood, and that's with the phone volume on full. The other 5% of the time it seems to work great, and indeed needs to be turned down using the helmet buttons.
Surely this can't be a problem that only I am suffering!!

·
Premium Member
5,839 Posts
I forgot to mention one other thing, which has to do with ride recording. I like to have records of my rides, and I was concerned that if I use 2 different phones to connect to the RT, the records will be split up. Nope! That's not the case. Apparently the records, and most likely other data, are stored "in the cloud". If you have 2 devices paired, as the case for me, you will find that when the devices synchronizes (in the case of my old Pixel without SIM card installed, when I get home and it connect via home wifi), the ride records are available to all signed-in devices.

·
Registered
52 Posts
What I had complaint to BMW was the fact that we didn't even have close to the functions that they "advertised", quoting specifically from their Connectivity Q&A page:
"When listening to music via the BMW Motorrad Connected App and the TFT-Display of the equipment Connectivity, can I select my songs, albums and playlists with the BMW Motorrad Multi-Controller?
Yes, when listening to music via the BMW Motorrad Connected app and the equipment Connectivity, you can select the songs, albums and playlists stored on your smartphone using the BMW Motorrad Multi-Controller.
Note: Playlist selection is currently only possible with iOS. Due to limited memory capacity, an overflow may result in empty or incomplete lists. "
From my perspective what they wrote in the Q&A quoted above is true - it is possible to select songs, albums and playlists that are stored on an iPhone music library. It works for me.
However what I think many people were expecting was to be able to select and change playlists within a 3rd-party app like Spotify - that is indeed not possible without a manual interaction with the app and I understand that is a phone software capability restriction and not fault of BMW's software

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #835 ·
So, a quick question if I may, does anyone else have issues with the volume level being far too low??
The helmet connects to the TFT with no problems, and I do get sound, but 95% of the time it is VERY quiet, so quiet that at speeds in excess of 30mph it can't be understood, and that's with the phone volume on full. The other 5% of the time it seems to work great, and indeed needs to be turned down using the helmet buttons.
You don't mention what type of phone you are using?

Connect everything and then use the volume buttons on the phone to turn volume to max. Some phones e.g. Galaxy S10 lower the volume when a headset is connected, I suppose that is sensible but you need to override that. Pretty sure its a phone issue and there are a lot of volume settings to play with, again they are phone dependant.

·
Premium Member
122 Posts

And why would you want to make a phone call while riding? Your starting to sound like the cars that want to kill us while they talk to their mothers.................

·
Registered
2021 R1250RT LE
39 Posts
Hi Tyke, I use a C4 Pro with the Sena SC1. My phone is a Galaxy A9. I had the update last week, and so far the stability is a lot better. I don't have any issues with volume, as long as the media volume on the phone is set at maximum, I can then control the volume via the SC1 controls. I'm off on a return trip to Glencoe tomorrow, so I will have a better idea of how well the update performs. Cheers.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #838 ·
And why would you want to make a phone call while riding? Your starting to sound like the cars that want to kill us while they talk to their mothers.................
"Hi honey, sorry but I won't be able to make it to the kids party tonight, the weather has been awful here, Billy got a flat tyre and we are about three hours behind schedule, but we are driving safe and within all the speed limits as I promised, love you, can you check there is some beer in the fridge I will need to wind down a bit when we get home."

translation:

Wow the rain has stopped the sun it out, we have just hit some fantastic roads. Do I want to go home and have 10 kids crawling all over me, burping and farting ? Naw.........................
Its light for another 3 hours and I am rocking and rolling...........................

Yee ha.

@SvFiat That answer the question?

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
New data point, for anyone who cares: I had two days of riding where everything worked pretty much perfectly... This morning's ride included two spurious connection failures. Go figure. The technology obviously wants me humbled and contrite. Which now I am.

There is a particular twelve-letter word I am thinking of here... but dare not scribe! (Begins with "M"). :(:confused::mad:

• Haha
Reactions: nh1200c

·
Registered
'21 R1250RT
293 Posts
An update for the iPhone crowd. My 200 km ride turned into a 450 km one just because the weather was pretty much perfect. Left on full tank and arrived back on reserve. Was a good day :).

The entire ecosystem of TFT, iPhone 12 P/M and Cardo Freecom 4+ was playing nice and behaved as expected. Everything worked as advertised, no disconnections, hiccups, no issues of any kind. About two thirds of the trip I used active routing and a third was just map display. I have deviated from the route a few times and it recalculated quickly without issues. Tomorrow will go on a 600 km ride to hopefully confirm this experience. I didn't get or make calls during the trip.

As I mentioned before, I don't use voice guidance or media, so that part of the system has not been tested.

821 - 840 of 866 Posts