BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
801 - 820 of 866 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
I also installed the Android update AFTER the bike update. Just sayin’
Nothing personal but I would feel better if you were also having the problem. :) The more people with problems would require a quicker fix. I'm done for a while worrying about it.

I sure wish there was a tech support number I could call and have an app person try to diagnose my issue with me. Also, I would hope there is a connection log file on my phone that should point to what is wrong but haven't seen anyone mention it.

·
Premium Member
5,839 Posts
Yes, I've tried everything. Like I said before, my old iPhone SE does work and shows maps but has its own issues with restarts and crashes when I try to zoom or enter a new destination.

PadG - the difference between you and me is that I installed 3.2.1 after the RT update and I think you did it before - not that that should make a difference. I also think you are right in that the Pixel 6 probably will not fix my problem. I'm thinking that an Android app update or the November/December RT update will. Right now I'm just enjoying the new RT and trying not to focus on the map issues.
Yes, I agree that the later update to the bike will solve your problem! Yes, if you can ignore it for now, do enjoy the bike! It is an excellent bike.

·
Premium Member
5,839 Posts
Nothing personal but I would feel better if you were also having the problem. :) The more people with problems would require a quicker fix. I'm done for a while worrying about it.

I sure wish there was a tech support number I could call and have an app person try to diagnose my issue with me. Also, I would hope there is a connection log file on my phone that should point to what is wrong but haven't seen anyone mention it.
Some data are sent to BMW if you make the complaint via the Connect app, but I don't think that it's enough. The "canned" response that you had received was totally useless.

I had also comments about the media connectivity features, and the response that I had received yesterday was quite unhelpful. Stefen kept talking about playlist, which I have zero interests inand had not complaint about, but reading between the lines, I figured that what options that I have, for the media, is what they (BMW) had decided on for Android. iOS guys will have more options available. They all might be changed for the Nov/Dec update.

·
Registered
166 Posts

Yeah I’m sorry mate - I really do feel for you. The fact that two different phones refuse to connect is a strange one.
Could you try connecting your phone to a different RT? I’m lucky that I’m 5 minutes from my dealer but I realize that not everyone is in the same boat.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Yeah I’m sorry mate - I really do feel for you. The fact that two different phones refuse to connect is a strange one.
Could you try connecting your phone to a different RT? I’m lucky that I’m 5 minutes from my dealer but I realize that not everyone is in the same boat.
Yes, it is confusing. Two android phones won't show maps and my old iPhone SE will. And mine was one of the few that was working perfectly before the 3.2.1 update. I don't think there is anything else I can do until BMW updates the app or the RT other than just enjoy the bike. And I really like it...

·
Premium Member
5,839 Posts
. . . . .

PadG - the difference between you and me is that I installed 3.2.1 after the RT update and I think you did it before - not that that should make a difference. I also think you are right in that the Pixel 6 probably will not fix my problem. I'm thinking that an Android app update or the November/December RT update will. Right now I'm just enjoying the new RT and trying not to focus on the map issues.
OK, I have an interesting input for you! I had mentioned that my old Pixel also connected all the way without any issues. Well, last night I just happen to notice that the Connected app on that phone was the older revision: 3.1.1. So, I updated the app to the present 3.2.1, and just now, went to the RT with that phone, and it connected again all the way to map-mode without any issue! It all comes back to the common denominator of your RT's software update being the culprit for your problem! The suggestion of pairing your phone to another '21 RT that has gone through the update will seal this conclusion for sure, even if I think that the conclusion is quite solid right now.

Reactions: DavidMcK

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
OK, I have an interesting input for you! I had mentioned that my old Pixel also connected all the way without any issues. Well, last night I just happen to notice that the Connected app on that phone was the older revision: 3.1.1. So, I updated the app to the present 3.2.1, and just now, went to the RT with that phone, and it connected again all the way to map-mode without any issue! It all comes back to the common denominator of your RT's software update being the culprit for your problem! The suggestion of pairing your phone to another '21 RT that has gone through the update will seal this conclusion for sure, even if I think that the conclusion is quite solid right now.
After my TFT update I found that deleting the pairing on the phone and redoing the pairing with the bike made it work. I've only had one map drop in the last 1K miles and that was when I had no phone service in the middle of nowhere. Don't have any idea as to why, but it happened. Anyone drive through a long tunnel and have their map shut off?

·
Registered
169 Posts
That is interesting. Lots of things going on here that make no sense. Like this one: I took a 50-mile ride today using my old iPhone SE and maps displayed just fine. I created a route using MyRoute-App and it followed it just fine as long as I just left it to do its thing. The app crashes most of the time if I try to interact with it from the TFT (zoom, new destination, change mode from day to night, etc.). If the iPhone app works (mostly) and the Android doesn't wouldn't you think that it is an Android problem? I know it is working for most people, but I just don't get it.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Mrs Inconsistent is the mother of this TFT. It would have been nice to just improve on the 2020 dashboard with a digital panel and work with Garmin and improve on the Nav VI...but no, flocking it up was in the cards

·
Premium Member
5,839 Posts
That is interesting. Lots of things going on here that make no sense. Like this one: I took a 50-mile ride today using my old iPhone SE and maps displayed just fine. I created a route using MyRoute-App and it followed it just fine as long as I just left it to do its thing. The app crashes most of the time if I try to interact with it from the TFT (zoom, new destination, change mode from day to night, etc.). If the iPhone app works (mostly) and the Android doesn't wouldn't you think that it is an Android problem? I know it is working for most people, but I just don't get it.
Yeah, from all the stuff that I have read here, it would seem that the iOS guys are having most of the inconsistent problems. As I said from the very beginning of these threads on connectivity, it is far from a surprise to me. I had encountered very similar problems a few years back when I got into flying a drone. However, in that instance the iOS was the more stable OS, and so I have an iPad Mini to integrate with the controller for flying!

It still stand that any of the Pixel phones is the best choice for our bike! I had planned on eventually using that original Pixel phone (without a SIM card) for the RT, since I don't use the phone while riding. Of course I will have the 4a-5g along as well, but unpaired. I remain very happy with the connectivity. ZERO issues in over 4,000 miles, if I ignore that last thing with the app 3.2.1 revision! :)

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Something Old, Something New...

Took Blue Max out for a romp yesterday, hoping to get some more real-world, real-time experience with the updated software on the '21 RT. Referring back to my earlier post #793, the ride back from the Dealer after getting the new software was guardedly encouraging, though potentially still flawed. These comments refer to the RT’s system software version 012.007.030 as installed on 7 October 2021.

The quick summary:
Telephone features were intact and functioning normally. Address/Contacts list is visible and navigable on the TFT display. Calls can be placed and answered. I do not yet know if receiving a call kills any in-progress navigation or map display functions.

Media playback feature was improved as songs now play consecutively without interruption. A lingering “fail” is not being able to see any of my music library or playlists from my iPhone 11 Pro Max (15.0.1). Any playback mediated through the BMW Motorrad Connected app will begin with whichever song is selected on the phone prior to getting connected to the motorbike.

Navigation and Maps Mode * may* have been made significantly more stable. On this ride, I selected a saved destination from my curated list and headed off. Trying to “test” the system, I tried to cancel the active route guidance… it cancelled alright, but the TFT immediately lost connection to the Map Mode driven from the Connected app. Not pleased with this result! I pulled over and re-initiated Map Mode from the phone, then set off again. I tried the same routine, selecting a saved destination for active route guidance, then after a few miles tried 1] adding a stop (this worked), 2] deleting the stop (this also worked), 3] cancelling the active route guidance — which all worked without interrupting the Map Mode connection from phone to TFT! A sense of meek triumph!

Today, another spectacular fall day. Sunny, bright skies, 72 degrees F. Just returned from another romp where I tried every way I could think of to cause a hiccup in the map mode link to the TFT. Everything worked perfectly! Selecting a destination, cancelling the destination, selecting a new destination, selecting a stored GPX route (still have to stop and use the phone to select routes), stopping route guidance, adding a new stored destination… deliberately going off track to force a recalculation… fiddling around with the media options etc… everything worked, map mode remained active, and no hiccups.

I am now officially a happy camper. With the exception of not being able to use my perfectly curated playlists from the TFT, everything is working as it should have been two months ago! The one dropped map mode connection yesterday seems to be an anomaly. Today, I enjoyed stable maps and directions, and the sweet crisp <pop> of acorns under my tires.

The glory of autumn colors here in the deciduous hardwoods of the Eastern US is spectacular! Get out there and ride it! :D

·
Registered
'21 R1250RT
293 Posts
I just had my '21 software updated by the dealer as well. Seeing how many of you had some issues after the update, I thought I knock the problems on the head by resetting pairings in advance. I use an iPhone 12 Pro Max with Cardo Freecom4+.

So, prior to leaving for the dealer, I deleted all connection on the bike and removed the BT pairing from the phone. Before we set off from the dealer, I paired the phone with the TFT again. Took a couple of seconds. Probably it's placebo since my initial pairing was done in May, but it seemed to me that it paired quicker then before. Maps stayed on fine, but I didn't have too many disconnects before either, so the real test is tomorrow on a 200 km ride. I set up a route for that, just to check navigation.

I don't use media or voice for navigation, so no comments on that part. Love the programmable favourites and that you can just tap your designated buttons for heating and that makes them cycle through the levels if you set individual buttons for seat and grip heating.

When I got home, I paired the headset back to the bike. The phone was near, but the app was not running on it, so I checked the phone book and call list, both loaded fine. I did have them occasionally not available in the past, so another "so far so good" mark.Then I started the Connected app. Whoa, maps on screen in 2 seconds, no exaggeration!! Yes, I had the bike on to pair the TFT with the headset, but the app wasn't running on the phone...

Happy camper so far, well done BMW.

·
Registered
22 Posts
This "interim" update is starting to sound quite promising (y). I won't be doing any sizeable trips now until next year so I think I will save myself time and await the full update (whenever that eventually materialises)
As a related question to the whole system, can anyone alter the volume of spoken directions by using the handlebar turn wheel. On my bike, although the volume up/down bar appears on the bottom of the display, it doesn't actually make any difference in the helmet.
I'm using a Schuberth C4 Pro with the Sena SC1 advanced system.

·
Registered
51 Posts
As a related question to the whole system, can anyone alter the volume of spoken directions by using the handlebar turn wheel. On my bike, although the volume up/down bar appears on the bottom of the display, it doesn't actually make any difference in the helmet.
I'm using a Schuberth C4 Pro with the Sena SC1 advanced system.
No you need the BMW headset, then apparently it works

·
Premium Member
23 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,839 Posts
Yes, I am using Apple Music for library and playback.
I am just curious, but what media features selectivity do you have on the bike? Can you choose artist, albums, and such? That's what I want, but for Android system, BMW had chosen to give us just the features that one would get from a cheap bluetooth receiver: pause/play; previous track; and next track. That's all!!

Beside the above, my set-up works perfectly on every rides, both before and after the bike's software update. Going to put in another 250 miles in a few minutes! ;)

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
I am just curious, but what media features selectivity do you have on the bike? Can you choose artist, albums, and such? That's what I want, but for Android system, BMW had chosen to give us just the features that one would get from a cheap bluetooth receiver: pause/play; previous track; and next track. That's all!!

Beside the above, my set-up works perfectly on every rides, both before and after the bike's software update. Going to put in another 250 miles in a few minutes! ;)
At present, the Media selection and playback interface is primitive indeed. I can not select individual song titles. I can not select playlists. I can initiate playback of whatever song was already cued up on the iPhone. I can skip ahead to the next song, or skip backward to a previous song. The playing order of the songs is determined by the playlist they are in at the time playback is initiated, or if no playlist is selected on the phone the songs play in whatever order they are in the library. My Connected => TFT interface does show album artwork, song name, artist.

As a tantalizing sidenote, one time and one time only, the Media menu on my TFT displayed everything -- Playback, Now Playing, All Artists, All Albums, Playlists... but only the menu "placeholders" were there... no information was shown under any of those selection options, and then that version of the interface disappeared, reverting to the simple "Playback" and "Audio Settings" choices I have now.

In the Manual, under Troubleshooting (p.240), looking at the problem of "The playback list is not displayed in the TFT display", the Possible Cause is shown as, "There are too many tracks in the playback list on the mobile end device." The Remedy is shown as, "Reduce the number of tracks in the playback list on the mobile end device." Great. :-[ So, from the Beginning, BMW knew there would be such an issue with their software... but how many songs are we allowed to have on our device? Nobody knows!! So infuriating!!

·
Registered
2021 BMW R1250RT
100 Posts
Am I missing something there was a firmware update recently for the TFT? What is the code version, when was it released, is the dealer installing it for free?

801 - 820 of 866 Posts