BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1461 - 1480 of 1484 Posts

·
Registered
'22 R1250RT
23 Posts
Not sure on the 050 update. But today when I had the wifi dropout, on a whim I turned my helmet communicator off. The wifi connected back on immediately, and stayed on when I turned the helmet back on. It didn't drop again so I'm not sure if it was a fluke or not.

I seem to be developing a serious love/hate relationship with my TFT 😅
So had another wifi dropout today. Same deal, I turned my headset off and the wifi reconnected after just a few seconds. Turned the headset back on again and everything stayed working and stable. Still not sure it's not just luck, but hopefully there's something to it. I'm on version 040, iphone 12, and the new Cardo Freecom 4X.

·
Registered
'21 R1250RT
579 Posts
What of future updates??, what happens when the bike runs out of warranty??
Well, for the term of the warranty your issues never stop so they have to keep updating for you. Past the first three years (at least in Australia) I guess you become a lot more selective deciding if the update is worth paying for or not. Hopefully BMW will come up with a customer based update process, but I would not hold my breath for that...

·
Registered
180 Posts
Fun ain't it. Having to find work around's for BMW's latest and greatest .....................................
Sad thing is compared to dick dance I had to do every time I stared bike to get everything to work prior to Ver30 this is a huge improvement. Still say this bike was not ready for release when they sold it to me and the person at BMW that lead this 2021 R1250RT project should be fired. Between this and the Maintenance manual debacle this is my last BMW.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Well, for the term of the warranty your issues never stop so they have to keep updating for you. Past the first three years (at least in Australia) I guess you become a lot more selective deciding if the update is worth paying for or not. Hopefully BMW will come up with a customer based update process, but I would not hold my breath for that...
I just wish they would tell someone the changes in each version like all the rest of the software updates I have done on all my vehicles.

Reactions: Fast1 and Triac

·
Registered
59 Posts
Sad thing is compared to dick dance I had to do every time I stared bike to get everything to work prior to Ver30 this is a huge improvement. Still say this bike was not ready for release when they sold it to me and the person at BMW that lead this 2021 R1250RT project should be fired. Between this and the Maintenance manual debacle this is my last BMW.
You think BMW has had challenges? My 2022 Kawasaki H2SXSE with their Spin App, is orders of magnitude worse. As is my friends Multi V4S. Don't be fooled by thinking the grass is greener.

·
Registered
'21 R1250RT
579 Posts
You think BMW has had challenges? My 2022 Kawasaki H2SXSE with their Spin App, is orders of magnitude worse. As is my friends Multi V4S. Don't be fooled by thinking the grass is greener.
Thank you VERY MUCH for that insight. Amazing how human nature drives us to think that our problems are the biggest, yet in perspective and compared to other similar occurrences the problems are decidedly minor. People love to blow some steam off though with big statements like "bike is rubbish because of the TFT" and "last BMW I buy" (no reflection on 60Aviator, read this statement many times elsewhere) and so on.

·
Registered
2021 R1250RT LE
66 Posts
This is from Dave (Dingdong) on the K1600 forum, we have been corresponding a bit and he just posted this:

"I have been using my new K1600 GT for a couple of weeks now and have had a recurring problem when using the connected ride app and navigation.
My problem is the lack of volume when the navigation is calling out the voice prompts, anything over about 50 ish MPH the instructions are so faint I can bearly hear them which is very frustrating.

I tried the obvious settings but wasn’t getting anywhere, I swapped my Samsung S22 for a Samsung S10, tried both on my XR with TFT and the K1600 but to no avail.

My helmet (system 7 BMW + comms) volume settings are maximum,
The connected app set to maximum,
My phone set to maximum and volume limit switched off and;
The bike volume set to maximum.

I contacted BMW Connected support and relayed the problem and what I had done thus far to try and fix it.

They came back to me with the following suggestion.
“As we already discussed please check the following setting. Please note that the labelling of the points to be clicked can be different for each cell phone manufacturer: For your Samsung S10 go to Settings > General management > Text-to-speech > click the gear wheel in the upper right corner and select Google TTS (If you don’t have this download it from the play store) > Select Amplify speech volume. It should be noted that this is a specific option of the "Speech Service by Google". For example, if your Samsung cell phone is configured with another text-to-speech engine by default (most likely Samsung TTS) you first need to change the preferred engine in the "Text-to-Speech" settings to Google.
Re start the phone.
This should enhance the volume required for the navigation voice prompts.
Would you please call or e mail me to let me know if it is fixed or wish to discuss more” ?

I followed that and voila, the navigation volume is now very clear and volume good enough at motorway plus speeds.

Hope this is of use to others who have or have had the same problem using Android phones.

As an aside my riding buddies all use IOS and dont have these problems which made it even more frustrating to try and work around a fix."
David, Many thanks for posting this, as I hope it will solve my latest problem. I had the latest '50' update done earlier this week. I tested the system on the way home from the dealer, and I impressed the audio quality was way better that before, very clear and audible sat nav instructions, music was equally good and I had the best audio quality on a phone call (both ways) since I bought the bike. Soon after hanging up I realised that the music audio didn't auto start, no biggie, as I could restart it from the audio menu, however I also realised that the sat nav instructions were so quiet that they were inaudible. Turning up the volume, only increased the sat nav commands marginally, but made the music far too loud. I had already set all the volume controls on my phone to maximum (as mentioned in previous posts), so hopefully this latest fix posted on the K1600 forum will solve the problem. I will report back when I test the system later today.

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
6,227 Posts
I am in the general area of Denver right now, and the TFT software version 50 got everything back to normal for me. No issues at all during the 1,500 miles ride. Zero disconnect, as it had always been for me. The only issue was that one day, I had forgotten to open up the lid of the phone compartment as the ambient temperature approached 90 deg.F, and my phone over-heated and shut down at about 94 deg.F. My fault. I knew that it would. Now, you guys looking for other's experience, let me say again that whether you have any problems, and what kind of problems will depend not only on the TFT software version, but very greatly on what PHONE the person is using!!

BTW, now that I have crossed multiple time zone on my RT, I discovered one mildly negative feature! With the previous generation RT, where the onboard system is meshed with the Nav system (Nav V, Nav VI), the date/time on the bike will be automatically change to match the GPS. NOT on our newer RTs! Date/Time changes will have to be changed manually! C'mon BMW, the TFT is already connected to the phone, and so how hard is it to import the date/time????

·
Registered
2022 R1250 RT
121 Posts
BTW, now that I have crossed multiple time zone on my RT, I discovered one mildly negative feature! With the previous generation RT, where the onboard system is meshed with the Nav system (Nav V, Nav VI), the date/time on the bike will be automatically change to match the GPS. NOT on our newer RTs! Date/Time changes will have to be changed manually!
Just experienced this identical issue while crossing multiple time zones from the mid-west to the pacific coast. Fortunately my Zumo XT kept track of time for me..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just experienced this identical issue while crossing multiple time zones from the mid-west to the pacific coast. Fortunately my Zumo XT kept track of time for me..
Also summer time and winter time should be set automatically. I reported this in March, but just got the reply that I have to do it myself. Should be an easy fix.

·
Premium Member
6,227 Posts
My phone does that quite nicely!

BTW, since you are from this area, I am actually at my son's home in Evergreen. You must have ridden into this area sometimes in the past. Actually, I think that you mentioned riding up Mt Evans?

·
Registered
2022 R1250 RT
121 Posts
My phone does that quite nicely!

BTW, since you are from this area, I am actually at my son's home in Evergreen. You must have ridden into this area sometimes in the past. Actually, I think that you mentioned riding up Mt Evans?
I am from the mid-west (not CO) but am very familiar with CO and yes have been up Mount Evans in the past several times. Well worth the drive up and a weekday may provide less traffic. They may have went to reservation system there now similar to Glacier "going to the sun road". Best to check the website.

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
When it's 90+ degrees outside I leave the compartment open it seems to keep my iPhone from over heating. When I remove the iPhone after a ride it's really hot but still working.

• Wow
Reactions: dpickens

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
BTW, now that I have crossed multiple time zone on my RT, I discovered one mildly negative feature! With the previous generation RT, where the onboard system is meshed with the Nav system (Nav V, Nav VI), the date/time on the bike will be automatically change to match the GPS. NOT on our newer RTs! Date/Time changes will have to be changed manually! C'mon BMW, the TFT is already connected to the phone, and so how hard is it to import the date/time????
Does this correct itself in a minute or so when you turn the bike off in the new time zone and then turn back on and start it? That is how my R1200RS happens but I’ve not been out of the midwest to experience what you are.

·
Premium Member
6,227 Posts
I am from the mid-west (not CO) but am very familiar with CO and yes have been up Mount Evans in the past several times. Well worth the drive up and a weekday may provide less traffic. They may have went to reservation system there now similar to Glacier "going to the sun road". Best to check the website.
One of the entrance to Mt Evans is very near here, and yes timed-entry is required. I am not going up there yet though. Heading south-west to Purgatory on Tuesday. Might do Mt Evans when I get back here again in a few weeks.

·
Premium Member
6,227 Posts
When it's 90+ degrees outside I leave the compartment open it seems to keep my iPhone from over heating. When I remove the iPhone after a ride it's really hot but still working.
That have worked for me, and so far it had seen temperatures up to about 105 deg.F, and things still works fin, but only with the compartment door open. I first ran into the over-heating issue last year, in South Carolina, as I was heading for Hilton Head Island. The phone over-heated when ambient temperature showed 89 dedg.F. Tried leaving the compartment door open, and that had solved the issue. OTOH, it can lead to some "interesting" situation! In particular, as I was heading back to Ohio from SC, I got caught in a very sudden very heavydownpour (temperature before the rain hit was well into the 90"s). It was fortunate that I remembered to slam the door close before any water got inside!

·
Premium Member
6,227 Posts
Does this correct itself in a minute or so when you turn the bike off in the new time zone and then turn back on and start it? That is how my R1200RS happens but I’ve not been out of the midwest to experience what you are.
I was hoping for that to happen, but no! On this new generation RT, you have to get into the setting to manually change the time..

Reactions: dpickens

·
Registered
208 Posts
That have worked for me, and so far it had seen temperatures up to about 105 deg.F, and things still works fin, but only with the compartment door open. I first ran into the over-heating issue last year, in South Carolina, as I was heading for Hilton Head Island. The phone over-heated when ambient temperature showed 89 dedg.F. Tried leaving the compartment door open, and that had solved the issue. OTOH, it can lead to some "interesting" situation! In particular, as I was heading back to Ohio from SC, I got caught in a very sudden very heavydownpour (temperature before the rain hit was well into the 90"s). It was fortunate that I remembered to slam the door close before any water got inside!
After some overheating issues (living in Florida) I started using the USB charge cable instead of using the wireless charger and haven't had any issues since. When I remove the phone it is warm, not hot. Since I'm now using a dedicated phone and don't need to remove the phone until the end of the ride/day, it doesn't matter. Wireless charging generates lots of heat and I'm wondering if BMW figured that out and didn't add it on the K1600s.

·
Premium Member
6,227 Posts
I should try that sometimes! My Pixel 4a-5G doesn't have wireless charging, but I had added the feature to my phone with a thin circuit-board at the back of the phone. I can easily unplug it and use wired connection instead!

·
Registered
195 Posts
For those that cross borders occasionally I was glad to see that the TFT speed limit notification was correctly converted to match my bikes speedometer.

We’re in WA heading south from BC and even though I didn’t get the latest update that apparently allows changes between kph and mph, the limit is displayed to the nearest 5kph.

60mph is shown as 100kph, 50mph - 80kph, 45mph - 75kph etc. Not perfect but close enough for me to free up some much needed attention away from mental arithmetic lol.

Also agree that using the usb to power the phone seems to help the overheating issue. We got the bike during the Heat Dome last year and the phone lasted less than 2 hrs at 43 C. Since using the hardwire I’ve had no shutdowns although I do also agree that it’s less of a hassle if you’re using a dedicated bike phone.

1461 - 1480 of 1484 Posts