BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1441 - 1460 of 1484 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
One thing that you guys might find useful to note is that it is possible to pair multiple devices or helmets.
I was aware that the TFT would ‘remember’ past connections and list them out but are they actually connected ?
Sorry, I’m on holiday at the moment and no where near my bike so I can’t test it for myself but I was wondering if your bike saw your Galaxy tab as a music player only - this would also test if you can connect multiple devices by playing music on your tablet and use your phone at the same time. My guess is that it would only connect to one at a time and was just showing you a list of potential connections - if you see what I mean ?

·
Premium Member
6,227 Posts
I was aware that the TFT would ‘remember’ past connections and list them out but are they actually connected ?
Sorry, I’m on holiday at the moment and no where near my bike so I can’t test it for myself but I was wondering if your bike saw your Galaxy tab as a music player only - this would also test if you can connect multiple devices by playing music on your tablet and use your phone at the same time. My guess is that it would only connect to one at a time and was just showing you a list of potential connections - if you see what I mean ?
It can only connect one device at a time. Not only that, but it seem to connect to the last device used, even if you have the other one in closer proximity. I knew this because this morning (after having connected the tablet to the bike and playing with it the night before), I went into the garage with the tablet inside the house and my phone on my person. The TFT still connected to the tablet inside the house. It cannot connect to both.

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
Well thx to Angel and the TFT update I went to my BMW dealer and asked if there was an update available as usual he didn't know. He said we can hook your bike up to the computer to find out, I said do it. He comes back saying there's an update, I said put it in. He warned me this could take 4 -5 hours. I said that's highly unlikely, mainly because all my other updates too roughly 30 minutes. I'm sitting on the couch watching TV and the service guy comes up to me saying the update is finished, I said imagine that, it took about 30 minutes. From what I can tell not much has changed, the bike may find the phone a tad quicker and maps might also come up a tad quicker. It does seem to change the screens on the TFT a whole lot quicker. As always time will tell .................................................

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,227 Posts
So, there is a _50 version! Mine is getting done tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
6,227 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,227 Posts
Got the latest software update for the TFT, yes it is the _50 revision, and my problem went away completely. I also had the dealer install the radio while the bike was there, and I am quite impressed with it! I had never used the radio much in my previous '15 RT, except for the means to access my MP3 files for music. Of course, the music are available on our new generation RT via the connectivity with our phone. The FM reception on the previous radio is, what I consider to be pathetic, since I usually take long rides, and the station reception would break up in no times at all. This is the part where the DAB2 in the new radio seem to excel! I haven't gone long distance yet, but the signal strength for the stations that I was listening to seem to have been really good. I don't use the speakers much, but the speakers in this RT, along with the much better streamlining characteristic of the new RTs makes the speakers quite practical to listen to, even at highway speed WITH the short sport screen! I will continue to listen to everything via my helmet though, as always.

Forgot to mention that the short ride home, under 20 miles, was logged in the Connect app, and I didn't see any issues with the bike id or anything else, but that's just one short ride.

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
Observations of the new 050 update. The Bluetooth and Wifi and Radio start up a lot quicker. Now it remembers your ACC distance setting. It remembers your radio audio settings but doesn't remember you want the radio on. The screens change much faster. That's it for now...........................

·
Registered
2021 R1250 RT
135 Posts
I also had the dealer install the radio while the bike was there, and I am quite impressed with it! I had never used the radio much in my previous '15 RT, except for the means to access my MP3 files for music.
Hopefully they were also aware of the 12 month free Sirius XM process as well. There's finally a service bulletin out that explains the "how to" part to Dealers to enable the radio. Basically the bulletin provides the Dealer Support # for Sirius XM along with specifically outlining the OEM Escalate Demo process. Once my dealer had the bulletin in hand, it took them less than 5 minutes to enable my 12 month free trial.

Reactions: Fast1

·
Premium Member
6,227 Posts
Hopefully they were also aware of the 12 month free Sirius XM process as well. There's finally a service bulletin out that explains the "how to" part to Dealers to enable the radio. Basically the bulletin provides the Dealer Support # for Sirius XM along with specifically outlining the OEM Escalate Demo process. Once my dealer had the bulletin in hand, it took them less than 5 minutes to enable my 12 month free trial.
I didn't even ask because I have no intentions on using it at all. My '15 RT radio came with the free 12 months, and I hadn't used that. The info is appreciated though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Observations of the new 050 update. The Bluetooth and Wifi and Radio start up a lot quicker. Now it remembers your ACC distance setting. It remembers your radio audio settings but doesn't remember you want the radio on. The screens change much faster. That's it for now...........................
In the previous version the radio was switched on when ‘favorites’ was selected and the helmet was connected. Even when you switched it off before switching the bike off. When you choose dab/fm/am the radio stays off when switching the bike on. I’m curious if this has been changed in this new version.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Does anyone have an opinion of the new 050 update in relation to Wifi stability???
I have just returned from a 2300 mile trip around Eastern Europe. The day we entered Hungary the TFT seemed to be working ok, right up to the point that we got into the centre of Budapest upon which the Wifi connectivity, and with it all mapping etc, dropped completely FOUR times. The only way to reconnect was to turn off everything and fire up again. For the rest of the trip it has been a hit and miss affair. Some days working OKish and others just being a complete pain in the arse.

·
Registered
'22 R1250RT
23 Posts
Does anyone have an opinion of the new 050 update in relation to Wifi stability???
I have just returned from a 2300 mile trip around Eastern Europe. The day we entered Hungary the TFT seemed to be working ok, right up to the point that we got into the centre of Budapest upon which the Wifi connectivity, and with it all mapping etc, dropped completely FOUR times. The only way to reconnect was to turn off everything and fire up again. For the rest of the trip it has been a hit and miss affair. Some days working OKish and others just being a complete pain in the arse.
Not sure on the 050 update. But today when I had the wifi dropout, on a whim I turned my helmet communicator off. The wifi connected back on immediately, and stayed on when I turned the helmet back on. It didn't drop again so I'm not sure if it was a fluke or not.

I seem to be developing a serious love/hate relationship with my TFT 😅

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
When I've had dropout problems rebooting the iPhone seemed to cure them......................

·
Registered
BMW R1250RT 2021 White
42 Posts
So does that mean wifi drop-out still happens with 050?

Might be getting mine upgraded tomorrow.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,456 ·
This is from Dave (Dingdong) on the K1600 forum, we have been corresponding a bit and he just posted this:

"I have been using my new K1600 GT for a couple of weeks now and have had a recurring problem when using the connected ride app and navigation.
My problem is the lack of volume when the navigation is calling out the voice prompts, anything over about 50 ish MPH the instructions are so faint I can bearly hear them which is very frustrating.

I tried the obvious settings but wasn’t getting anywhere, I swapped my Samsung S22 for a Samsung S10, tried both on my XR with TFT and the K1600 but to no avail.

My helmet (system 7 BMW + comms) volume settings are maximum,
The connected app set to maximum,
My phone set to maximum and volume limit switched off and;
The bike volume set to maximum.

I contacted BMW Connected support and relayed the problem and what I had done thus far to try and fix it.

They came back to me with the following suggestion.
“As we already discussed please check the following setting. Please note that the labelling of the points to be clicked can be different for each cell phone manufacturer: For your Samsung S10 go to Settings > General management > Text-to-speech > click the gear wheel in the upper right corner and select Google TTS (If you don’t have this download it from the play store) > Select Amplify speech volume. It should be noted that this is a specific option of the "Speech Service by Google". For example, if your Samsung cell phone is configured with another text-to-speech engine by default (most likely Samsung TTS) you first need to change the preferred engine in the "Text-to-Speech" settings to Google.
Re start the phone.
This should enhance the volume required for the navigation voice prompts.
Would you please call or e mail me to let me know if it is fixed or wish to discuss more” ?

I followed that and voila, the navigation volume is now very clear and volume good enough at motorway plus speeds.

Hope this is of use to others who have or have had the same problem using Android phones.

As an aside my riding buddies all use IOS and dont have these problems which made it even more frustrating to try and work around a fix."

Reactions: sixty

·
Registered
62 Posts
What are the dealers legal obligations regarding software updates??
I have this morning spoken with my local BMW dealer, and the original provider of the bike, and neither are willing to do the software update free of charge UNLESS there is an issue with the existing.
Now as it happens there is, but what of future updates??, what happens when the bike runs out of warranty??
If you have a Garmin unit you don't have to send those back to Garmin for an update, simply plug in to the computer and job done

·
Registered
28 Posts
When I picked up my '22 RT (dealer 250 miles away) the TFT was downlevel and Map Mode was constantly disconnecting/reconnecting. On the first service at my local dealer, they installed 012_008_040 and Map Mode worked great. A few weeks later, Map Mode was failing to connect. BMW Customer Care advised me to delete the Connected app and the BT connections in the TFT. No joy. Then after a few days, Map Mode started working again. Today, Map Mode no longer connects....it just stopped in the middle of a ride.

I'll get the new firmware and hope for the best, but this is very disappointing (plus the lousy SiriusXM reception issues). You would think BMW could do better than this. The RT itself is a great bike and I enjoy riding it.

Question for the group: Is there a dedicated BMW support number for TFT related problems? I get the impression the guys on the Customer Care line are not motorcyclists and I usually have to explain the problem several times. The number I've been calling is 800-831-1117

·
Registered
180 Posts
I have had version 50 (had 30 before) for about 2 weeks now. I have a Samsung S22+ and Cardo Pactalk Bold each paired with TFT. Definitely connects to phone and headset a lot faster than before no change in stability as that was good with Ver30 too. 2 new issues though,
1. Before when you spun wunderwheel the volume icon came up on TFT and changed even though it did absolutely nothing for me. Now with Ver50 nothing happens on TFT or with volume. This may be related to 2 below.
2. I use Pandora or Samsung Music on my phone to listen too. With Ver30 I could press Pause/Play favorite button and the music would start/stop. Now with Ver 50 the music starts but I hear nothing. Then if I go to the Media control page I hear it as soon as I get to that page. Then everything works fine with Pause/Play until I shut bike off and then when I start back up just like above I need to go to Media control page first. Now I just go there first to start my music.

1441 - 1460 of 1484 Posts