BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1421 - 1440 of 1484 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Thanks for the come back! Now, I am going to have to do some digging to see what the problem is!
Hey no problem. But therein lies the issue - so many variables even between Android devices that BMW can’t keep on top of it. My old Motorola is likely NEVER going to be updated while I use it as a “bike phone”. (Apart from the actual Connected app!)
Good luck tracking down the problem.

·
Premium Member
6,227 Posts
Hey no problem. But therein lies the issue - so many variables even between Android devices that BMW can’t keep on top of it. My old Motorola is likely NEVER going to be updated while I use it as a “bike phone”. (Apart from the actual Connected app!)
Good luck tracking down the problem.
Just to be sure, since I still can't see anything wrong with my settings (nothing had changed), please check to see that the Connect app is version 4.2(420102). This was updated on my phone on June 1st. Everything was working perfectly, as usual, when I had one of my long ride on May 31st! Now, I can't connect the map-mode right from the very start.

Hmmmmm . . . come to think of it, the previous time that this had happened, it was only with the Pixel phone, which is what I had always used! I don't think other Android phones had the problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've got everything working reliably with the Cardo 4x!

The bike is connected to the phone and the headset. The headset is also paired with my pillion.

I can do everything you would expect - but there is one trap!

If you use the Cardo radio function, which is local to the headset, then the connection to the TFT is disabled. This means that you can't play media, or hear phone calls. But it can be restored by single clicking the rear button on the headset (Phone icon). This was the missing piece in my usage. You should be able to say "Hey Cardo, music on', but that actually doesn't seem to work, it needs the physical button.

Now everything is great, I can listen to whatever I want, and the nav instructions can be heard well over anything else that is playing.

IPhone 7+, latest iOs, latest connected App, TFT version 12.007.030

·
Registered
208 Posts
Just to be sure, since I still can't see anything wrong with my settings (nothing had changed), please check to see that the Connect app is version 4.2(420102). This was updated on my phone on June 1st. Everything was working perfectly, as usual, when I had one of my long ride on May 31st! Now, I can't connect the map-mode right from the very start.

Hmmmmm . . . come to think of it, the previous time that this had happened, it was only with the Pixel phone, which is what I had always used! I don't think other Android phones had the problem.
Sounds like you are having the same problem I had back in September when the Connected App was updated and I could no longer get maps to display. Multiple Android phones were tried and none would connect. The problem was fixed when I was updated to 012_008_040. The funny thing is that my iPhone worked just fine. If you have one you might want to give it a try.

·
Premium Member
6,227 Posts
Sounds like you are having the same problem I had back in September when the Connected App was updated and I could no longer get maps to display. Multiple Android phones were tried and none would connect. The problem was fixed when I was updated to 012_008_040. The funny thing is that my iPhone worked just fine. If you have one you might want to give it a try.
If you will recall our conversations back then, yes it seem to be the same issue. However, at that time the problem went away for me when I had updated to the _30 (as BMW insisted that I did, to correct the problem) that I am running on right now, whereas yours didn't, and I had (and still do) suspect that your problem had been bad update done by the dealer when you had the _30 done! Looks like I am going to need to get the _040 update to fix this!

·
Premium Member
6,227 Posts
4.2(420102) is what I have installed. Sounds like you might be onto something re. the Pixel.
Thanks. I guess I am having the same problem that I had before, and am going to need to get the RT to the latest update. The problem that I am facing is that my dealer's service department generally have a couple of weeks, or 3 backlog, and I am heading west for a long trip on the RT in about a week! So, I am working on Plan B for the trip. I am in the process of setting up my iPad mini with all my music, and will load the BMW Connect app and use that on the RT. I was going to try this a while back but never got around to it, especially since my Pixel had been working on the RT perfectly, and having read so many issues with people using IPhones, which didn't give me the incentive to try it out. Now, I should know how it will work! :)

Reactions: DavidMcK

·
Registered
208 Posts
If you will recall our conversations back then, yes it seem to be the same issue. However, at that time the problem went away for me when I had updated to the _30 (as BMW insisted that I did, to correct the problem) that I am running on right now, whereas yours didn't, and I had (and still do) suspect that your problem had been bad update done by the dealer when you had the _30 done! Looks like I am going to need to get the _040 update to fix this!
I've been using a dedicated iPhone SE (2020 version) with a data only SIM (Google Fi free with my Pixel phone plan) and use a charging cable instead of using wireless charging. I'm in Florida and the phone gets too hot charging wirelessly. On trips I plug it in and don't touch it for the rest of the day. Works perfectly.

·
Premium Member
6,227 Posts
I've been using a dedicated iPhone SE (2020 version) with a data only SIM (Google Fi free with my Pixel phone plan) and use a charging cable instead of using wireless charging. I'm in Florida and the phone gets too hot charging wirelessly. On trips I plug it in and don't touch it for the rest of the day. Works perfectly.
I have an iPad mini that I use solely to fly my drone, and I am in the process of loading my music and the Connect app on it right now. I always ride with a tank bag for my DSLR, and so I can put the iPad in there, with the charging cable connected to the extra port that I have on my USB charger that I use to power my onboard video camera. Last year, my Pixel also overheated and shut down in the compartment, when the ambient temperature was around 90 deg.F as well. I am sure that I will be encountering that kind of heat and more, where I am heading, and having the iPad stashed in the tank bag should take care of that issue.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I have an iPad mini that I use solely to fly my drone, and I am in the process of loading my music and the Connect app on it right now. I always ride with a tank bag for my DSLR, and so I can put the iPad in there, with the charging cable connected to the extra port that I have on my USB charger that I use to power my onboard video camera. Last year, my Pixel also overheated and shut down in the compartment, when the ambient temperature was around 90 deg.F as well. I am sure that I will be encountering that kind of heat and more, where I am heading, and having the iPad stashed in the tank bag should take care of that issue.
I hope that works for you. Does the iPad show maps?

·
Premium Member
6,227 Posts
I hope that works for you. Does the iPad show maps?
I hope so! I should know by the end of the day. Music loading is very slow, and I have lots of it! Yes, it does show map, but the important feature that it must have is a GPS chip, which I think it does have.

Reactions: Rich_Blue21RTLE

·
Registered
233 Posts
You might want to try connecting your iPad to your bike before you go through all the trouble - I may be wrong but I seem to recall reading (or I might have even tried it myself, can’t quite remember) but I don’t think the bike will find your iPad over Bluetooth - it’s looking for a phone and doesn’t see your iPad as a phone. I could be wrong and would be interested to hear your results.

·
Premium Member
6,227 Posts
You might want to try connecting your iPad to your bike before you go through all the trouble - I may be wrong but I seem to recall reading (or I might have even tried it myself, can’t quite remember) but I don’t think the bike will find your iPad over Bluetooth - it’s looking for a phone and doesn’t see your iPad as a phone. I could be wrong and would be interested to hear your results.
Now that you mention it, I recall seeing something about that also! What's worse is that I have just tried to pair the iPad to the bike, and like you said, neither one can see the other! So, that's a no-go!

Reactions: Rich_Blue21RTLE

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,434 ·
Now that you mention it, I recall seeing something about that also! What's worse is that I have just tried to pair the iPad to the bike, and like you said, neither one can see the other! So, that's a no-go!
Plan B, your personal phone in your tank bag........................................???????

·
Premium Member
6,227 Posts
Plan B, your personal phone in your tank bag........................................???????
I am afraid that you had missed my real problem! ;) The issue is that the most recent update to the Connect app had knocked out my Pixel phone from entering map-mode! This had happened before, and the only way out was to get the RT software update, which I may not have the time to do before leaving on my planned long trip west. The attempt at using the iPad WAS my Plan B!!!

·
Premium Member
6,227 Posts
You know, when I first saw the very first post about not being able to pair an iPad to the RT, my thought was that it's probably just the oddity of an "iOS thing". So, I proceeded to check on that point!

Took my main tablet, a Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 running Android 12, out to the RT and proceeded to pair it to the bike with zero issue! Loaded the Connect app on the tablet, and made sure that all the settings are what it's supposed to be. When I reconnect, the RT went through the normal processes and connected to the tablet and automatically launch the Connect app on the tablet. Now, that could be my Plan C, but unfortunately for some reasons this set-up also ran into the issue of inability to connect to wifi for map-mode! The icon on the bike shows that it was trying, and at the same time the app on the tablet also shows that it was also trying to connect. Connection for map-mode doesn't happen, even after multiple tries.

One thing that you guys might find useful to note is that it is possible to pair multiple devices or helmets. They all will show up in the list in the TFT. The tablet connection, as shown on the TFT listing does NOT have the phone icon next to it, while the Pixel listing next to it did have the phone icon. So, the TFT doesn't care at all whether you are pairing a phone or other device. It's smart enough to know that when the tablet is connected, it won't have the phone function.

·
Premium Member
6,227 Posts
@PadG you need WiFi direct to display maps.
I know! They just won't connect, and as I said earlier, this has happen before right after BMW updated the app, and at the time they insisted that I update the TFT software to fix the problem. It did then.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I had my bike at the dealership for it 1k service yesterday, updated the firmware, the version I got was 013_012_050.
That’s a version number I’ve not heard of - is this a brand new version ? When did it come out ?
(012_008_040 was the last, released December 2021).

1421 - 1440 of 1484 Posts