BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
601 - 620 of 635 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
For any that are looking for a basecamp replacement, Jan at Tourstart has updated his app at my request now so that his Drag points (Self explanatory) and via points work in the same way, and I have checked, they do in the Connected app. If BMW change the app to be more sophisticated, I am confident he will change it further to work better.

Hi Rupert,
We have now changed the drag points also to be shown as via points. The shaping points are hidden.
Will you please check and let me know if all works as expected.
Best regards,
Jan Agnoletti Pedersen
Shaping points are points that can be put in automatically. Just as an aside, one of the things that used to drive me nuts on a ride, was when I had dragged the route to fast, and not zoomed in on each point to check it. Jan added a feature in the last year that optimizes points. So if you drop on down a side road, you can automatically make it go on the main road.

Its neat. Built for bikers
.Motorcycle ride plan, motorcycle tour and track | Tourstart.org

·
Registered
162 Posts
Been away leading a tour 'down South' for a few days. Mapping etc mainly OK but still major issues with 'Mrs Woman' and voice instructions. Used the old Zumo 660 for most navigation, monitoring TFT as usual. Just had this email from Steffen at BMW Motorrad

Dear Steve,
We just want to inform you that since a few days ago there is a update for the Connectivity/TFT display (vehicle software) available which will improve the stability of the Bluetooth connections and remedy some other bugs. For this reason we would ask you to contact your mentoring BMW Motorrad dealer. He will be able to update the vehicle software of your BMW R 1250 RT to version 012.007.030 (ISTA version 4.31.16. The I-Level for BMW R 1250 RT is 21.07.520).

A feedback if the problem persists after the update would be very helpful for us. Thank you in advance!
Kind Regards,
Steffen Kraft

Local dealer in Peterborough is shut Monday so will check in with them tomorrow.
Steve P
Been away leading a tour 'down South' for a few days. Mapping etc mainly OK but still major issues with 'Mrs Woman' and voice instructions. Used the old Zumo 660 for most navigation, monitoring TFT as usual. Just had this email from Steffen at BMW Motorrad

Dear Steve,
We just want to inform you that since a few days ago there is a update for the Connectivity/TFT display (vehicle software) available which will improve the stability of the Bluetooth connections and remedy some other bugs. For this reason we would ask you to contact your mentoring BMW Motorrad dealer. He will be able to update the vehicle software of your BMW R 1250 RT to version 012.007.030 (ISTA version 4.31.16. The I-Level for BMW R 1250 RT is 21.07.520).

A feedback if the problem persists after the update would be very helpful for us. Thank you in advance!
Kind Regards,
Steffen Kraft

Local dealer in Peterborough is shut Monday so will check in with them tomorrow.
Steve P
Has anyone actually managed to have this update done on their bike?
I’m in Canada and I’m just back from my dealer who hooked the bike up to the system and the most recent software currently available is here is 21.07.510 and 11.007.35.

(This has suddenly become important to me as I’m trying to flash the ecu and need the “new” update to send to Bren)

·
Registered
372 Posts
Has anyone actually managed to have this update done on their bike?
I’m in Canada and I’m just back from my dealer who hooked the bike up to the system and the most recent software currently available is here is 21.07.510 and 11.007.35.

(This has suddenly become important to me as I’m trying to flash the ecu and need the “new” update to send to Bren)
Get the highest number update.

Wait, what? Bren Tuning can now flash the 2021 RTs ???

·
Registered
162 Posts
Get the highest number update.

Wait, what? Bren Tuning can now flash the 2021 RTs ???
I got that software update done last week, the day before I pulled the software off the ecu and sent it to Bren. Today after Bren told me that I had an I had a “mid software version” I went back and got them to check for any newer versions. I have the most up to date software on my bike available here. I’ve seen these other numbers referenced so I’m wondering if they actually exist yet or perhaps are they only available in Europe?

Chris at Bren says he has the older software and the newer one - just not mine…

I can send him my ecu (not gonna happen from BC) or wait until the update that he says he has access to - becomes available for me.

But yes, in THEORY Brentune CAN flash the ‘21 RT ecu. I have the handheld flasher, now I’m just going to wait for “the big one” to land from BMW so that I can hopefully tell you it actually works not just in theory.

·
Registered
2021 R1250 RT
68 Posts
I got that software update done last week, the day before I pulled the software off the ecu and sent it to Bren. Today after Bren told me that I had an I had a “mid software version” I went back and got them to check for any newer versions. I have the most up to date software on my bike available here. I’ve seen these other numbers referenced so I’m wondering if they actually exist yet or perhaps are they only available in Europe?

Chris at Bren says he has the older software and the newer one - just not mine…

I can send him my ecu (not gonna happen from BC) or wait until the update that he says he has access to - becomes available for me.

But yes, in THEORY Brentune CAN flash the ‘21 RT ecu. I have the handheld flasher, now I’m just going to wait for “the big one” to land from BMW so that I can hopefully tell you it actually works not just in theory.
Why reflash the ecu?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Dear Steve,

Kind Regards,
Steffen Kraft

Steve P

I decided to check with Steffen that this update is in addition to the one promised for October as we suspect. However, this is his reply:

Dear Steve,
Thank you for your e-mail.
There is another update in preparation which is expected to be released in November/December 2021. This update will fix some other bugs and improve the stability of the Bluetooth connections once more.

Kind Regards,
Steffen Kraft

Goalposts moved again?......
Steve P

·
Registered
21 Posts
I decided to check with Steffen that this update is in addition to the one promised for October as we suspect. However, this is his reply:

Dear Steve,
There is another update in preparation which is expected to be released in November/December 2021. This update will fix some other bugs and improve the stability of the Bluetooth connections once more.

Kind Regards,
Steffen Kraft

Steve P
"stability of the bluetooth" is a great way to say phone calls don't work.

·
Registered
162 Posts

Dear Steve,

Kind Regards,
Steffen Kraft

Steve P
Damn. That’s not good news . Apparently BMW have been promising a similar “solve all communication problems” update for the smaller TFT bikes (GS etc) for over a year. With BMW rolling out the 10.25” on new bikes I was hopeful it would be resolved more quickly. It could be a long wait…

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #611 · (Edited)
The absolute most up to date position with the update, my bike is due to get it tomorrow, its a four hour procedure............................................

"Steffen Kraft
(BMW Motorrad Connected)

14.09.2021, 15:46 OESZ

Dear David,

Kind Regards,

Steffen Kraft"

Co-incidentally I am doing a 200 mile round trip of Northern Ireland on Saturday so timing is good.

·
Registered
143 Posts
The absolute most up to date position with the update, my bike is due to get it tomorrow.
I will be getting my 600 mile service on Friday and hope to get the update and then heading off on a 1500 mile trip. Please let me know what changes/improvements you see with the update. My map connection has worked every time and only disconnected once and then immediately reconnected. I don't listen to music but do have the occasional loss of turn-by-turn voice directions. The volume off/on fixes it about 90% of the time and when it doesn't I go to the media tab and hit play. Nothing plays because I don't have a music app started but it seems to fix the turn-by-turn.

·
Registered
21 Posts
[/QUOTE]
I will be getting my 600 mile service on Friday and hope to get the update and then heading off on a 1500 mile trip. Please let me know what changes/improvements you see with the update. My map connection has worked every time and only disconnected once and then immediately reconnected. I don't listen to music but do have the occasional loss of turn-by-turn voice directions. The volume off/on fixes it about 90% of the time and when it doesn't I go to the media tab and hit play. Nothing plays because I don't have a music app started but it seems to fix the turn-by-turn.
Very interested in your experience. My other half tried to call me while I was riding, and let's just say it went less than spectacularly. No audio whatsoever for phone.

Hoping these updates help.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #615 ·
So nobody has actually had the update yet then?
The date of my email was the 14th September, hard to know who has and who has not had it. I would guess new bikes leaving Germany might have got it.

Its gonna cost me a fortune to get it, I mentioned to my wife that I had a four hour wait for the bike and she volunteered to keep me company in the local shops, said something about a new suite for one of our rooms.

I own a software company and we do updates all the time for our customers, when I think of a four hour software update to the TFT on the bike, somehow or other I get the picture of two people exchanging Morse code.

I mean, I just updated the software on the bike phone and it took say 5 minutes max.

Does this mean that the minimum time for a service is now four hours because this is not going to be the last update the TFT gets?

·
Registered
162 Posts
The date of my email was the 14th September, hard to know who has and who has not had it. I would guess new bikes leaving Germany might have got it.

Its gonna cost me a fortune to get it, I mentioned to my wife that I had a four hour wait for the bike and she volunteered to keep me company in the local shops, said something about a new suite for one of our rooms.

I own a software company and we do updates all the time for our customers, when I think of a four hour software update to the TFT on the bike, somehow or other I get the picture of two people exchanging Morse code.

I mean, I just updated the software on the bike phone and it took say 5 minutes max.

Does this mean that the minimum time for a service is now four hours because this is not going to be the last update the TFT gets?
4 hours and Germany is right beside you! Just think how long my download will be! All those little bits and bytes trundling down the tube all the way under the Atlantic and across a continent, it could take days! I might have to remortgage to pay for the service!

·
Registered
30 Posts
David, same wording as Steve and I got.

What is the I level do you think?
The I-Level for BMW R 1250 RT is 21.07.520).

My dealer is now aware of it. Getting in touch soon to fix.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #618 ·
David, same wording as Steve and I got.

What is the I level do you think?
The I-Level for BMW R 1250 RT is 21.07.520).

My dealer is now aware of it. Getting in touch soon to fix.
All should be revealed tomorrow.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 2¢ worth:
I also received an email from Stefan at BMW Motorrad Connected (Berlin) informing me of the newest software for the '21 R1250RT...

"...Since a few days there is a update for the Connectivity/TFT display (vehicle software) available which will improve the stability of the Bluetooth connections and remedy some other bugs. For this reason we would ask you to contact your mentoring BMW Motorrad dealer. He will be able to update the vehicle software of your BMW R 1250 RT to version 012.007.030 (ISTA version 4.31.16. The I-Level for BMW R 1250 RT is 21.07.520)."

I contacted my Dealer and made a service appointment for this morning. As the Dealer explained it, they do not know which version of the operating system software will be loaded onto any given bike until the bike is hooked up to the Service computer, codes are read, versions are checked against VINs, etc., THEN, if all adds up and the stars are properly aligned the new software is installed into the bike's ECU.

I arrived at the Dealer at 9:00AM, super excited to get the new software. They hooked up my bike within minutes. One half-hour later, I was informed that there was NO new version of the software that the Service computer had identified as being ready for my bike! Evidently the Dealers/Service Techs (according to these guys) have no ability to pick and choose which versions of any BMW software they want access to -- it is all controlled and audited through Berlin. The reason an update might take three or more hours to complete is an entire suite of said software has to be first downloaded onto the Service computer from BMW before any updating can be performed. So life is going to suck for whomever is first in line for their updates! Something like that....?

This is wild, as my Dealer is one of, if not the, largest here in the northeast. The number of bikes moving in and out of this place is truly epic. And they have been great to work with -- very accommodating and patient with my OCD and insistence at trying to get this update as soon as possible. But the dang computer says, "No upgrade, Charlie."

My next step is to contact BMW North America, to see if there is anything they are able to do to better facilitate pushing this new update out to their dealer network ASAP. I'll keep the forum posted...

·
Registered
149 Posts
Warped brake discs NOT covered under warranty.

So a few weeks back, started to experience the brakes grabbing when lightly applied at very low speeds. The grabbing got worse and became very noticeable. Booked the bike in for its 6000 mile oil & filter service and asked BMW to investigate. Sure enough they confirmed that the front discs were warped. Bearing in mind that the service limit for disc run out is 0.15mm, the left disc was measured at 0.75mm run out (5 times the service limit) and the right disc was measured at 0.45mm run out (3 times the service limit). The bike was 5.5 months old, with 5,500 miles on the clock so my dealer submitted a warranty claim. BMW have declined the warranty claim stating that it classed as general wear and tear as brake discs are only covered for the first 3107 miles (5000 km) under the warranty. As it stands at the moment, I am liable for new brake discs. Clearly, I’m not very happy with that.

No idea why they have warped - never wash it after a ride, I’m not a heavy brake user, I‘ve used the hill hold in the appropriate places and not excessively.

Moral of the story - if you even slightly suspect you can feel the brakes grabbing at slow speeds, get it into BMW before you have covered 3107 miles.

601 - 620 of 635 Posts