BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
581 - 600 of 635 Posts

·
Registered
'21 R1250RT
232 Posts
Guys.... Like I said many times, in iOS you CAN set each wifi network to either auto join or not. The default is auto. So you have to turn any network likely to be present where you start your bike up to no auto join. Especially your home network and work if you have the luxury to be able to ride to work. Otherwise the phone will ignore the bike's wifi as it is already connected to another network.

The part you MUST remember is that you can only access all wifi settings for a given network when it is CONNECTED to your phone. That includes the network the bike generates to screen-cast. You will also need to disable the "Ask to join networks" switch, so your phone doesn't sit in the cubby waiting for you to approve the connection to the bike every time the wifi is dropped.

The downside to all this is that you will have to manually join your home/work wifi and, depending on settings, you will have to do it multiple times a day. The phone will drop wifi under these settings when it is not used to save your battery.

@Hors Piste if you set your network in the manner described above, it will "stick", the phone won't forget it. If it does, it means you had an update applied that would have reset everything to default, like network auto join.

I'll have to check this, because Apple doesn't make it easy to fix stuff like this
By all means. After all, I could talk out of my ass...

·
Registered
116 Posts
Well...then you would have really bad breath! No amount of mints would help.

• Haha
Reactions: nh1200c and Ultra54

·
Registered
2021 R1250RT LE
31 Posts
Latest model update, see the four buttons are now programmable and I wonder what Bluetooth connectivity is, seems to be new.

Perhaps it's just the bluetooth icon appearing on the TFT screen. I've always thought it strange that the icon doesn't appear on the screen. I mentioned this in a previous post which included a BMW image of the screen which did show the icon.

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
Just a point of interest ONLY - it seems that I have a much better times with the connectivity using my pure Android Pixel phone! I doNOT have to tell it NOT to connect to other wifi networks. Turn my RT on, even in my garage where the Pixel is always connected to my home wifi, and the phone will launch the BMW Connect app automatically, then connect to the RT with bluetooth, wifi after that, and be in map mode quite automatically, all the time while the bike is still in my garage well within range of the home wifi. I don't have to do a single thing!!

OTOH, media connectivity. . . . . grrrrrrr . . . . . any one have any clues as to the best practice to connect a non-iOS phone for media?

·
Registered
227 Posts
As I think has been said before, it's not just BMW :rolleyes: I've just changed my Subaru for a nominally identical (different colour) model, the 4th one of these I've had. The first one could make and accept phone calls via the TFT with an iPhone but would not accept or send SMS messages, although it was supposed to and it would with an Android phone. That was eventually fixed with a firmware update and it was fine. The next two cars were fine also. Now I have the 4th in the sequence and guess what? SMS doesn't work with my iPhone :poop: How the F can they remove functionality that was working fine before? You couldn't make it up.

·
Registered
116 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Not sure if anyone here has posted this (sorry if duplicating) …..

https://gizmodo.com/apple-don-t-att...ook&utm_medium=news_tab&utm_content=algorithm

very good reason for the dedicated phone!

-Joe
Joe,
New to me, but not a surprise I guess. I wonder id BMW are aware of this an if there is damping in the cubby hole.
If not the phone will have to be in a pocket or a quadlock style holder. Messy on a beautiful cockpit like the RT.

Not sure which Quadlock fits our bike, seems to be the 1200.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I’ve had my iPhone 11 Pro Max mounted to my bike with a Quad-Lock mount for about 2 years now - Camera still works great! But Quad-Lock has come out with an optional vibration dampener for those who may want it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the 21RT and believe there is no such damping in the cubby. For me the only phone I own stays in my pocket; I’ll miss the charging capability a great deal.
Joe

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have the 21RT and believe there is no such damping in the cubby. For me the only phone I own stays in my pocket; I’ll miss the charging capability a great deal.
Joe
I suspect that many of us including myself will ultimately be outfitting the 21RT with a RAM MOUNT as I had on my earlier RT. The cubby hole is hot in the summer and makes my screen go dark.

·
Registered
2021 R1250 RT
4 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Been away leading a tour 'down South' for a few days. Mapping etc mainly OK but still major issues with 'Mrs Woman' and voice instructions. Used the old Zumo 660 for most navigation, monitoring TFT as usual. Just had this email from Steffen at BMW Motorrad

Dear Steve,
We just want to inform you that since a few days ago there is a update for the Connectivity/TFT display (vehicle software) available which will improve the stability of the Bluetooth connections and remedy some other bugs. For this reason we would ask you to contact your mentoring BMW Motorrad dealer. He will be able to update the vehicle software of your BMW R 1250 RT to version 012.007.030 (ISTA version 4.31.16. The I-Level for BMW R 1250 RT is 21.07.520).

A feedback if the problem persists after the update would be very helpful for us. Thank you in advance!
Kind Regards,
Steffen Kraft

Local dealer in Peterborough is shut Monday so will check in with them tomorrow.
Steve P

·
Registered
21 Posts
Been away leading a tour 'down South' for a few days. Mapping etc mainly OK but still major issues with 'Mrs Woman' and voice instructions. Used the old Zumo 660 for most navigation, monitoring TFT as usual. Just had this email from Steffen at BMW Motorrad

Dear Steve,
We just want to inform you that since a few days ago there is a update for the Connectivity/TFT display (vehicle software) available which will improve the stability of the Bluetooth connections and remedy some other bugs. For this reason we would ask you to contact your mentoring BMW Motorrad dealer. He will be able to update the vehicle software of your BMW R 1250 RT to version 012.007.030 (ISTA version 4.31.16. The I-Level for BMW R 1250 RT is 21.07.520).

A feedback if the problem persists after the update would be very helpful for us. Thank you in advance!
Kind Regards,
Steffen Kraft

Local dealer in Peterborough is shut Monday so will check in with them tomorrow.
Steve P
I'll be calling my dealer tomorrow with this info. Thanks for letting us know. Will be very interested to see if this helps with the various issues.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I'll be calling my dealer tomorrow with this info. Thanks for letting us know. Will be very interested to see if this helps with the various issues.
Not the big fix (due in Oct now). Guy in Atlanta had this upgrade on 2 Sep (another forum) and didn't fix his issues. I will wait for the Oct one.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I got that, plus this. We are both UK....
Of course we are working on further improvements for the software of Connectivity/TFT display. But unfortunately, we can't give you a date today when another update will be available. Thank you for understanding in this matter.

not Oct then.

581 - 600 of 635 Posts