BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
561 - 580 of 635 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #561 ·
Sorry, what I meant to say was that the map theme on the TFT is nearly impossible to see and have complained to BMW.
Yep, they should have allowed layers like MRA. Night mode is a layer.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Yep, they should have allowed layers like MRA. Night mode is a layer.
I'm taking screen shots of the RT map display compared to what is shown in my car (2020 BMW Z4) at various zoom levels and it is amazing how much more readable the car's display is over the RT. I'm going to submit them to BMW but I'm sure (I hope) that they are aware of what a terrible choice they made on road and background colors and will fix it. I'm hoping that what shows on the TFT is just a mirror of the phone app map and can be fixed without a TFT update.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #563 ·
@DavidJax Hope the blind man working at BMW is not the one who gets your email. The TFT displays what's running on the App and the maps are the bog standard Tom Tom maps and they are terrible.

·
Registered
143 Posts
The BMW Nav IV, V and VI came with numerous map themes and you could choose the one that looked the best to you. You could also create your own from the standard supplied ones. That's what I hope they add to the app.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
I hope they add more contrast in the day mode you can't see the streets, night mode works ok but it's not that hard to add more custom looks .............................

·
Registered
30 Posts
TFT
Ok, I have 2p to add if anyone is interested. I just did a 1200 mile trip to the highlands, and the bike was magnificent in every way but one. The adaptive cruise was wonderful, and the adaptive lights at the end of a long day so impressive.
The TFT. I had assumed that of the wifi connection failed, I would still have the turn by turn to follow on the bluetooth. That worked on the way up when the wifi failed, but on the way back the turn by turn froze as well as the map dropping. Also media would freeze, particularly after using the wheel to mute..... just would not play again.... with the timers stopped.

I cannot recall the number of times it let me down. When it worked it was fantastic, and using the free version of MRA as described by David I was able to follow waypoints and drop them if necessary. When the zoom worked on the bike it was fantastic (Sometimes it didn't)

Bring on the update.

Tourstart

The other bit of news is I have been talked to Jan at Tourstart.org about creating a waypoint map for the BMW screen that works as we need it to. He has already developed a prototype, it has been adjusted, and is going back for the next attempt. At present Tourstart offer viapoints and waypoints, and as we learn more about the BMW software Jan will be able to make the mapping work for US.
I have used the paid version for about 6 years on Garmin, (free for some time before that) and moved to it when frustrated with basecamp. It is $19 per year, so is much cheaper than MRA but is not quite so sophisticated, or such a big team behind it, but it does exactly what you need it to do and the support, as you can see here, is excellent. If you try to download, you will adready see there is an option for BMW Motorrad connected. even though the option is still in dev. (That one only gives waypoints for the start and the finish of the trip, in a few days I expect it to update for us to try)

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
I hope they add more contrast in the day mode you can't see the streets, night mode works ok but it's not that hard to add more custom looks .............................
That is what I am looking for! Using night mode is just a workaround.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #568 · (Edited)
@RupertB I am just back from the same sort of run, I had problems but not as bad as yours. Did you follow the advice on the first post of this thread ?

There is another important setting as well for Galaxy 10 phones and it might apply to yours check out:

1. Settings
2 Connections
3. WiFi
4 Top three buttons on the right
5. Advanced
6. Turn on WiFi automatically, switch this off.

Read what it says, it will turn on WiFi if it is in a known location of yours where you have used WiFi before and "Switch it Off" if your phone is not in a known WiFi location of yours.

·
Registered
30 Posts
David, yes I did. I everything except having a dedicated phone.
I have it set up to work, having used the advice on dontkillmyapp.com
It worked well on the way up. On the way down we stopped at the Glen Shee ski cafe, and there was a big fail there, so I rode away down the hill, (to gwet away from other bikers,wifi etc) stopped, turned everything off, rebooted the phone, and ended up with directions and music only. Next coffee stop the maps came back on.
Made no sense. Thank goodness it was not raining.

No one else her use tourstart ever?

·
Registered
30 Posts
A bit of an update from Jan at Tourstart this evening. Absolutely stunning the speed they are sorting this.

the download now has all via points created in the software as waypoints in the BMW app. Confusingly drag points (these can easily be converted to via points with a right click) do not show, I am talking to him about this. I am sure if anyone has views on this, it would be good.

A bit out of my depth here.... I dont want to be seen to be promoting a business, you only have my word I am not affiliated, is it worth a new thread? Can I do that? mod advise please?

·
Registered
372 Posts
@RupertB - Any waypoint or via point from routing apps always get converted to waypoints in the BMW app. This is unfortunate as all waypoints are announced, when you only want certain waypoints announced (gas, food, lodging, etc). BMW needs to implement some kind of via point that is only used for routing and not announced.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #572 ·
Latest model update, see the four buttons are now programmable and I wonder what Bluetooth connectivity is, seems to be new.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Now I know how to use my buttons, I don't want them programmable, the 4 choices are sensible. I just want them all to work. Maybe 3 as skip next waypoint might be handy, or even zoom out, but the last one is there really, button 4, wheel left, and zoom.

I put in a report on the app of all the issues I had on my trip, and have been advised to get the new update. At the same time I reported it to my dealer. They were aware of an oct update, but did not mention the interim one. Meanwhile connectivity support did not mention the oct one either!

I think I have to push to get the interim one, and have no idea when I will have the time.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Latest model update, see the four buttons are now programmable and I wonder what Bluetooth connectivity is, seems to be new.

How can Bluetooth connectivity be new? It was on the 2021 model - unless BMW means they fixed the Bluetooth issues? Lol

·
Registered
21 Posts
What I want to fix? that iPhone can't autoconnect ever, because the wi-fi connection always requires a screen prompt

·
Registered
2021 R1250 RT
68 Posts
How can Bluetooth connectivity be new? It was on the 2021 model - unless BMW means they fixed the Bluetooth issues? Lol
It wouldn't be BMW if it was clear what you are buying. It was exciting paying all that money and not being sure of exactly what I was getting until I came to pick up the bike. Luckily, I won the lottery and got everything I guessed I was getting.

·
Registered
'21 R1250RT
232 Posts
iPhone can't autoconnect ever, because the wi-fi connection always requires a screen prompt
Um, no. It will autoconnect without issues if you enable it in your wifi settings. You will need the relevant wifi network active and connected to be able to change individual settings. Basically you can set each and every wifi network the way you want it to behave.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Um, no. It will autoconnect without issues if you enable it in your wifi settings. You will need the relevant wifi network active and connected to be able to change individual settings. Basically you can set each and every wifi network the way you want it to behave.
I'll have to check this, because Apple doesn't make it easy to fix stuff like this :)

·
Registered
227 Posts
It is possible to tell an iPhone to "auto join this network" or not, but it appears to have a very short memory. More often than not I have to tell it to connect to the bike if I am at home, where there are several nearby networks. :rolleyes: With the Innovv camera wifi connection it is recommended to firstly turn on Airplane mode and then turn on wifi only, such that there is no attempt by the phone to use the cellular connection as the "default gateway". This is because the DVR does not provide an internet connection, so the phone tries to use its cellular connection instead. I wonder if this would help with any of our connection woes? (It would of course mean losing access to the phone and any traffic events, but might be worth a try?)

·
Registered
2021 R1250 RT
68 Posts
It is possible to tell an iPhone to "auto join this network" or not, but it appears to have a very short memory. More often than not I have to tell it to connect to the bike if I am at home, where there are several nearby networks. :rolleyes: With the Innovv camera wifi connection it is recommended to firstly turn on Airplane mode and then turn on wifi only, such that there is no attempt by the phone to use the cellular connection as the "default gateway". This is because the DVR does not provide an internet connection, so the phone tries to use its cellular connection instead. I wonder if this would help with any of our connection woes? (It would of course mean losing access to the phone and any traffic events, but might be worth a try?)
I considered the auto join but then I wondered if once connected to the app if it ever encountered another wifi signal if it would automatically jump to that connection?

If they would simply rely on using a the usb connection to establish the link it would take care of the disconnect issue I would think.

561 - 580 of 635 Posts