BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This should be fun....

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/texas-highway-first-allow-85-mph-speed-limit-154924311.html

Can't drive 55? … 65? … 75? How about 85?

A stretch of Texas highway may soon be the first road in the country to have a posted 85 mph speed limit.

The Texas Department of Transportation said this week that part of a toll road being built between Austin and San Antonio will be tested to see if motorists can safely push it to 85.
"It was designed under extremely high design parameters," Darren McDaniel, the state's Speed Management Director told WOAI radio.

Texas and Utah are the only states with 80-mph limits on some roadways. But Texas turned heads when lawmakers gave the green light to go to 85 if needed.
"The higher the speed limit, the more accidents there are, the more injuries and the more deaths," Jerry Johns, president of the Southwest Insurance Information Institute, told Reuters last year.

Eighty-five mph would be the second-highest posted speed limit in the world, according to the European auto rental firm Rhino Car Hire, Reuters reported. Some roads in Poland reportedly allow speeds of about 86 mph.

Texas hopes the faster toll road will help relieve one of the country's most congested interstates, between Austin and San Antonio.

"It's in a straight, flat area," TxDOT spokesman Mark Cross told Yahoo. "Safety is a priority. We want to make sure people understand that."

·
Premium Member
4,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was riding some back roads around Florida last week and noted that I was averaging over 50 MPG. Seems like I got > than 350 miles out of a tank.

Quite a bit more than I normally get. I wonder what your mileage would be at at 93? I'm regular getting about 40 -42 with my normal rides in and out of traffic,

·
Registered
253 Posts
I ride between 85-90mph daily, but I do observe that some cage drivers just cant keep up. I hope the stretch of the highway has sufficient lanes to allow for slower drivers to move to a side.

I believe that raising speeds is safer. We are on road for shorter time :rotf:

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
I think it sounds like the type of road that can handle that speed. In Ontario our speed limit is 100 km/h in reality traffic flows about 120, I wish they would increase the limit to 120 and then enforce that speed. As it is 95% of the drivers are exceeding the speed limit at a level that would earn you demerit points which seems dumb.

Gerhard

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,963 Posts
I'm jealous, That would mean I only would have been going 3mph over the limit instead of the 23 that I got charged with last April.

You out of state riders beware. In North Carolina if you get a ticket in say Texas doing 90 in a 85 it will be charged against your license as 20 over the limit because the highest speed limit in NC is 70mph.

The attorney that I paid to take care of my last ticket told me that NC considers 70mph the max mph no matter where you are. 20 mph over in NC is reckless driving. I can't imagine what a reckless driving on your license would do for insurance cost.

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
The Bad part of the Road that has the 85 MPH is that it is a TOLL ROAD. For me to drive the 25 or so miles in my work truck cost about $27.00 :cussing:
That is why I only use it for VERY short sections of maybe 2 or 3 miles & still cost about $1.00 per mile. :wack:

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,963 Posts
katnapinn said:
The Bad part of the Road that has the 85 MPH is that it is a TOLL ROAD. For me to drive the 25 or so miles in my work truck cost about $27.00 :cussing:
That is why I only use it for VERY short sections of maybe 2 or 3 miles & still cost about $1.00 per mile. :wack:
For that kind of money you might as well rent some track time. ;)

·
Premium Member
7,797 Posts
85 mph? I gotta get me to Texas. That would be fun to do legally.

I have a brother in Denton, an aunt and several cousins around San Antonio and Kerrville...

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I rode from Austin to the Alamo last year.
I took I-35. What is the name of the new road way and are those bridges going over 190 going towards Elgin just east of I-35. There was construction in that area. Of course make it a toll road to compensate for the lack of ticket revenue a buck a mile.
ride safe :bmw:

·
Registered
189 Posts
Here in Switzerland, we have a 75mph limit (120km/h). France and Italy have an 81 mph limit (130km/h). Only Germany has a large part of their highways with no speed limit.
But with the 85 mph limit only for the 80 miles between San Antonio and Austin, you don't win a lot of time... :rolleyes:
And the toll you pay seems more like an expensive license for speeding (if 85km/h can be considered speeding...) :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts