BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well; I went to the BMW dealer today again just before demo day (cause of rain that day); Tested the K1200S w/ risers, and the R1200RT. K/S; very nice, but not a GT, and insurance is too high on K/S. I liked the K/Gt much better than any bike i've tested yet. I guess I'm A comfort junky. Dealer wants to sell 06 k1200GT(blue) for a slightly better price. What are the differences of the 06 and the 07's of this model.This bike is no slouch! Now next step is to see what else is available w/ same ergo's and comfort(not Goldwing!) from other manufacturer, sa.Yamaha or Kawasaki(new 1400 08 concord) ect... in comparison to the GT. That would be hard. What are the difference of the servo to the non- servo brakes? please explain.

Also; what are the basic difference between the 04 models and the newer model 06 and 07's K1200GT. I was told the older bikes had great engines; but were 100lbs heavier; though I could never feel it sitting on it and leaning. Thanks;

Howie.

·
Senior Member (ret.)
10,857 Posts
the older GTS and the new GTS have different engines. The '06 is a variant (torque and power are differnt) of the engine found in the K1200S and K1200R. The Older GT had the same engine as the K1200RS (same engine as the 1999-2004 LTs but more horsepower).

The newer GT has a different frame as well as a new the suspension system (Hossack).

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
RaffyK said:
-----------------------------------------------
The newer GT has a different frame as well as a new the suspension system (Hossack).
We know that, but BMW will never mutter the name Hossack, or God forbid have that actually printed in anything. If they did, they may actually have to acknowledge Norman Hossack, or actually pay him something.

The BMW suspension appeared suspiciously after Norman's patent expired.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
the new K/gt gets valve inspection at 12K mi (7 hrs labor just to get in there). Seems to me BMW just copied the Japanese motors for the new GT plant. I am impressed with the bike, but dont like the ramifications of trying to do the work myself. Looks like a new Connie may be the ticket.

F

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Florian said:
the new K/gt gets valve inspection at 12K mi (7 hrs labor just to get in there). Seems to me BMW just copied the Japanese motors for the new GT plant. I am impressed with the bike, but dont like the ramifications of trying to do the work myself. Looks like a new Connie may be the ticket.

F
The valves get checked by computer, You only have to access the valves if they are out or you don't trust the computer.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm wondering if the new non-european models;Kaw,Suz,Yam, require inspections at these interevals, and is as timely to get to valve train, and other engine components. I know in time no matter what I choose, I'll be working on my own ride.
Howie...

·
Registered
1 Posts
First post - read the post regarding the new GT. After the LT I thought that the new GT may be the new bike for us. No so, I found it uncomfortable (so did my wife - and she said so!), too much wind buffeting. Performance was great, handling and brakes great but I could not see myself riding that for 800 klms. I found the FJR a better ride.

Also tried a 1200GS - that tempts me and strange no complaints from the back seat.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow; That's interesting; I found this effect just opposite. I Demo'd the 06 FJR today and found it ride like a sports bike w/ bags. somewhat jumpy, and less wind protection. I rode several miles in traffic in air temps of 68deg., and my lower legs got uncomfortably HOT, similar to the ST1300. There heat fairing mods just vented the heat to the lower areas where as before was on the whole leg. After the FJR demo, just down the road was the BMW dealer, and redemo'd the K/GT, and ran the same route as the FJR and noticed very little to no heat in the same lower area. Felt very comfortable, and w/ similar performance as the FJR.
Howie...

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Holy Smokes! Did someone say it take 7 HOURS :eek: of labor to get to the valve train on a new GT???? :eek: I must assume this is endemic to all of the new K bikes?
This is progress???? :histerica :histerica
I need to verify that number, if true, I think that pretty much ends all contemplation of getting a new K bike right there for me.

·
IBR# 366
16,545 Posts
But replacing the clutch is much easier. :D In engineering, there are always trade-offs.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
KMC1 said:
Holy Smokes! Did someone say it take 7 HOURS :eek: of labor to get to the valve train on a new GT???? :eek: I must assume this is endemic to all of the new K bikes?
This is progress???? :histerica :histerica
I need to verify that number, if true, I think that pretty much ends all contemplation of getting a new K bike right there for me.
Thats what I said and Im sticking to it. The Master Tech at the dealer told me this as I told him I was considering a new GT.....Im not considering one anymore.

F

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Florian said:

F
Your valve inspection "facts" regarding the new GT are a little blurry. Also, sounds to me like you don't understand the architecture of the Connie14's powerplant. It's based off the ZX-14, and it's no joy to work on. Do your homework before letting the above paragraph be your deciding factor.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Florian said:
Thats what I said and Im sticking to it. The Master Tech at the dealer told me this as I told him I was considering a new GT.....Im not considering one anymore.
That's what you get for going to that joke of a dealer that I warned you about. :p

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
messenger13 said:
Your valve inspection "facts" regarding the new GT are a little blurry. Also, sounds to me like you don't understand the architecture of the Connie14's powerplant. It's based off the ZX-14, and it's no joy to work on. Do your homework before letting the above paragraph be your deciding factor.

The difference is dollars...not the plant. Although the Connies plant is an already proven entity.

F

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Florian said:
That joke of a dealer just offered me a GT for 200 bux over COST......
Yep, that sounds like them. :rolleyes: Good luck getting one cheaper than I did though.

Florian said:
Although the Connies plant is an already proven entity.
A "proven entity"?! The ZX-14's been out for all of 12 months. And though the ZX-14's motor is based off the ZX-12, I'd hardly call the Connie14 a proven entity in any way, shape, or form.

FWIW, my new GT has already given me 12K painless, trouble-free miles. :)

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,158 Posts
Taking a break Joe?

messenger13 said:
FWIW, my new GT has already given me 12K painless, trouble-free miles. :)
Do you mean you haven't been riding since last night???:D

1 - 20 of 29 Posts